BlueTongue

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2009
The Void
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
TEAM 17 (Flags)
I can honestly say I wanted us to get him when he left St Kilda for Freo as part of the Brad Hill trade.

We have got a very good track record with moneyball recruits under Austin, and I expect Acres to hopefully replicate the heroics of Hewett and Young last year.

Very happy about this move.

Welcome Blake !!

BTW am I the only one here who kinda hopes Bam Bam will allow him to wear Number 7 ?

DescriptiveAdmiredCanvasback-max-1mb.gif
Showing your age and pure nerd factor here Elmer ... But what does that say about me (recognizing it) ... Off to watch the Blake's 7 box set 😆

AndyNicka

Debutant
Oct 14, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Celtics, Chelsea
I always thought the real improvement for Carlton next year would be by improving the bottom half of our best 22. Acres is a quality player to have in that 12-22nd best player on our list and alike Hewett last year, is a very astute pick up for us.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Was interviewed briefly on SEN by Maher and Dal Santo.

Moving to VIC cause his missus is from here, has a good network here to reconnect with from when he was based here in his St Kilda days. No issues with Freo, said this year was the best of his career in terms of development, culture and enjoyment.

Chose Carlton because he felt the list was in a good spot, should have played finals this year and is keen to help get us back there, and most interestingly to me, because he's keen to continue developing his game and there were discussions with Carlton (I interpreted this as Voss and Austin) around the opportunity to add little bit of inside mid time to his game.

Don't think he's expecting to reinvent himself, but sounds like he wants to keep finding areas to improve.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waa interviewed briefly on SEN by Maher and Dal Santo.

Moving to VIC cause his missus is from here, has a good network here to reconnect with from when he was based here in his St Kilda days. No issues with Freo, said this year was the best if his career in terms of development, culture and enjoyment.

Chose Carlton because he felt the list was in a good spot, should have played finals this year and is keen to help get us back there, and most interestingly to me, because he's keen to continue developing his game and there were discussions with Carlton (I interpreted this as Voss and Austin) around the opportunity to add little bit of inside mid time to his game.

Don't think he's expecting to reinvent himself, but sounds like he wants to keep finding areas to improve.
Sounds like the 'ol midfield minutes carrot was dangled.
And nothing wrong with that. He can put in a few mins here and there. It all helps.
He seems to understand how he can help and the wing role really well.

Last edited:

Sweet Seventeen

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
From watching his highlights I was impressed with his work one on one. Does not get out-marked very often. Also obvious he is very good with his hands, saw lots of sweeping 30 metre handballs to advantage. His kicking does not seem as bad as I had heard. Maybe it lacks a little penetration, yet he seems quite good around goals. Not afraid to have a ping when it looks like a decent option, as opposed to a few of our boy's who seem reluctant to do so. Really good size, going to be awesome to have a player like him on the wing and ready for the get-out kick. He is no superstar, yet he will make us appreciably better imo. Welcome Sheriff, good times ahead.

charred_fate

All Australian
Jul 10, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
I was concerned about this trade until rumours of third rounder started. Comfortable with that. He’s a good fit.

Dream scenario: he comes across and we give him a role to play like a certain Collingwood gun (Jack Crisp), with whom he is a very similar type physically. They both have toe, size and strength. Acres is an average kick, but Crisp isn’t an amazing kick either… Crisp is the player I’d like to see him model his game on anyway - break lines by bursting out of contested situations and get it in quick.

At a minimum: we have ourselves a physically strong and quick wingman, who can stick a tackle and is willing to put his body in the contest. Even that is an improvement.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back