Toast Brad Lloyd - Head of Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Did a good job negotiating McCarthy in the door - although not sure about McCarthy's output yet.
Having a look at their recent acquisitions and the price they paid (equivalent pick suing points):
  • McCarthy for a 4 pick downgrade of first (3 to 7) plus 35 & 73 which means they actually paid the equivalent of pick 68 to take Cam.
  • Wilson for what will probably end up being the equivalent of about pick 27
  • Hamling for about pick 34
  • Brad Hill for 23
  • Matera for ballpark of mid 40s
  • Kersten for 63
  • Bennell for the equivalent of pick 18
So they've has hardly been big spenders of picks when it comes to trade time. Maybe SOS likes that about Lloyd.

J. Brown - perhaps the most overrated player in the last 18 years.
For what it's worth, pretty sure Champion Date has him down for the highest (or is it second highest?) ranking points (SC) score for a game since 1993. 26 disposals, 16 marks, 8.4, from memory he hit a target with nearly every disposal that day except for those 4 pesky behinds...

A lot of those things aren't really for Lloyd to do

I'd most of them are for SOS, Agresta and Brodie to do and Lloyd being involved would really step on toes.

Number 9 I agree with. Be visible, make yourself available to the members and media.

Number 10, he can get involved with along with Liddle.

More than anything he should be involved in the coaching structure, although many of those decisions would have already been made. He needs to get involved in the fitness and medical review. He is there to ensure the others have the resources they need and are meeting KPIs. The latter he can't do without any knowledge of this season. The former he can do.

I really want to give this bloke every opportunity to do right by us
But going 2 pre-seasons and neglecting to pad Teague out with an experienced Senior Assistant is inexcusable. Furthermore, the complete dearth of talent and recognised success on our coaching panel is something directly attributable to Brad Lloyd.
We are failing to learn from lessons of the past. I don't want to see Teague gone, but we are setting him up to fail

But going 2 pre-seasons and neglecting to pad Teague out with an experienced Senior Assistant is inexcusable. Furthermore, the complete dearth of talent and recognised success on our coaching panel is something directly attributable to Brad Lloyd.
We are failing to learn from lessons of the past. I don't want to see Teague gone, but we are setting him up to fail
I agree he’s responsible for the fact we’ve seen little movement in the assistant coaching ranks where it’s been very underwhelming for a while now.

Yze, Giansiracusa, Macrae, Burns all moved to new teams in the offseason, all highly rated. Why weren’t we in the discussion.

Barker, Bruce, Stanton are very underwhelming compared to other coaching set ups. Changes need to be made frequently

I agree he’s responsible for the fact we’ve seen little movement in the assistant coaching ranks where it’s been very underwhelming for a while now.

Yze, Giansiracusa, Macrae, Burns all moved to new teams in the offseason, all highly rated. Why weren’t we in the discussion.

Barker, Bruce, Stanton are very underwhelming compared to other coaching set ups. Changes need to be made frequently

Don Pyke to Sydney (though their connection through Adelaide may not be kosher).
Could be the right amount of ying & yang for Longmire’s defensive mindset & Pyke’s attack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no great love for Lloyd and viewed the appointment as wait and see stuff. To attribute the lack of coaching support for Teague to him is, however, almost laughable. We/he had Justin Longmuir signed/all but signed, before he was offered the Freo senior role. What a difference he would have made. The abomination with staff losses and the like brought about by Covid last year decimated many/most club groups. We lost a year of development with our young group and became even more dependent on the old guard, on and off the park.

We have probably committed a decent portion of the "soft cap" to Russell, which is not a bad thing. He is however a conditioning man, body and mind. There are so many mixed messages coming form our brains trust at the moment, motivation is going to be a s**t fight until we commit to generation next.

We are demanding the likes of Stocker to perform to the nth degree on the track and in the twos to get a gig, while gifting games to players, at best playing cameo roles. The development of Willo, Setters and Cunners is deplorable, add SPS too. They don't need to be stars, but at least RELIABLE role players. Only the self starters are making progress.

I don't know who is on the horizon as a top notch assistant, but we need a couple. Accordingly the dead wood needs to be incinerated. If we don't pull a decent midfield (particularly) structural tactician, expect Teaguey to get the flick for an experienced coach. Lyon will loom super large if that eventuates. I can't help but think that any decent, respected and committed coach would work wonders with our group. Don't mean this as a slight on Teaguey, but he has to step it up dramatically to redeem things.

Hope you are well Robbo, good to see you
Thanks.

It’s a terrible start to the year which just feeds into the rubbish that sacking people is the cure all. Apparently Teague is not up to it and should be sacked. Lloyd too.

In the paraphrased words of someone who should know better “I don’t kick the ball mate”. I’m disappointed in the team because there is talent to burn and the collective is wasting the opportunities to win games of footy. Plenty of chances coming to turn this around but no excuses if the team doesn’t.

The fact that our "senior assistant" is a former school chum of our CEO might have something to do with the fact that the club hasn't moved on said senior assistant and gotten in someone like Neil Craig to help out Teague.

Why haven't changes been made

Why haven't changes been made
Football department spend slashed by millions across all clubs and the AFL. That said, when their contracts do come up I feel we will see the changes then as there will be a few people looking for work as assistant coach.

If we paid people out now it would certainly be included in our allowed spend

Remove this Banner Ad

Back