Toast Welcome to Carlton Brian Cook

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
He’s a figure that may, finally, have the necessary credentials to tell the various power brokers to fu** off. There will be nowhere for the board to hide if he walks out.

Kick em in the nuts Cookie!

If we had quality people running the club and who actually knew what they were doing and had the club operating at a successful level, the so called ‘power brokers’ wouldn’t be getting involved. They would be smoking their pipes and throwing their individual strength behind the group. It’s really not that hard to understand but alas, it’s like flogging a dead horse.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
If we had quality people running the club and who actually knew what they were doing and had the club operating at a successful level, the so called ‘power brokers’ wouldn’t be getting involved. They would be smoking their pipes and throwing their individual strength behind the group. It’s really not that hard to understand but alas, it’s like flogging a dead horse.
Remind me who signed off on all of the major appointments at the club. If the power brokers weren't continually making bad appointments the power brokers wouldn't need to get involved to make more appointments.

Given Cook has appointed 3 premiership coaches ( I think with his last 3 goes at it) I hope he is involved in the selection process.

by "knew what they were doing" you mean not doing anything "the power-brokers" didn't agree with?

judd05

Debutant
Jan 12, 2008
carlton
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
melbourne storm
He needs a 100 percent open cheque book, soft cap Footy tax be damned.

'Allistair, name your price and your terms. Also, give me your dream team list of assistants and subordinates. Leave the rest to me.'
Done that still didnt work

May 15, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Voss his first appointment. Disagree all you like. I’m with the bloke who has the best proven track record of any AFL CEO in the business. I’ve said it before, Cook courts success wherever he goes.

Can’t wait to see how he shakes up Carlton on and off field. Hopefully we can emerge from despair and mediocrity into the club we once were.

Go Vossy, go Blues!

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea

Wow - just watched the club interview with Cookie. Could we have found a more impressive CEO - seems to have that ability to clearly articulate 'the plan'.

Really fills me with confidence that we can turn this place around with Brian at the helm.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
I have nothing more to add…. except for a cute Dog gif

1632699573434.gif

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Wow - just watched the club interview with Cookie. Could we have found a more impressive CEO - seems to have that ability to clearly articulate 'the plan'.

Really fills me with confidence that we can turn this place around with Brian at the helm.

Loved it, just seems like he knows what he's doing, but from the interview seems genuine and just a nice, good person. Seemed rather laid back and could have a laugh, which we've seen from Voss and Sayers as well and that's important because when demanding high performance it can't all be high intensity and serious...you need to have fun too.

Liddle in comparison, while a very smooth media talker and clearly good at the commercial side of things, seemed more 'smarmy'...didn't get that 'genuine' vibe from him and it some ways it was all about him and what he could achieve, whereas Cook is about developing others.

Kaladin Stormblessed

Journey before Destination
Dec 29, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Couldn’t imagine Liddle ever saying “I haven’t got all the answers. I wish I had them!” much less in his first press conference.

Bit of humility in such an experienced CEO is good to see. Knows the hard work is only just beginning rather than trying to come in and force his methods down everyone else.

sosos

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Cookie's first big test?

What it means for Carlton now is that under current rules they cannot go to the draft and just take another player.
The decision came after an important list lodgement last Wednesday, with another final list lodgement to come later in the year. The best they can do is take a supplementary player after the train-on period early next year.

Carlton will ask the AFL for the right to take an extra player in the draft because of the unusual timing and circumstances of Jones’ retirement. They are unlikely to get it.
Other clubs expected the Blues to petition the AFL for a compensatory draft pick commensurate with losing a player of his age and wage due to exceptional circumstances. That is, to treat him like a lost free agent.
This will not get up with the AFL

Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Back