Toast Welcome to Carlton Cam O'Shea

I still have the nightmarish thought of that game when we beat Port a couple years ago by the skin of our teeth and Cam barely registered a touch, but judging a guy purely on one game is a pretty terrible thing to do.

He's a Blue now and there's no doubt he'll give everything. Welcome lad and the best of luck.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Obviously SOS must have suspected that either the Lions or the Suns were a threat to take O'Shea before our pick 3 and used the PSD instead.
Lions had one pick and were committed to re-drafting Beams, but the idea of one of our pre-organised two selections being scooped up seems to have spooked them into using the PSD.

That being said, I'd suggest you're onto something with the Suns having picked a similar type in Jaska (though much younger and skinnier) at pick 2.

The Flying Doormat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2008
Carrickalinga
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tranmere Rovers
Good luck to Cam I'd love to see him hit the form he showed in 2013/14
Couldn't understand what Hinkley was trying to achieve with Cam. Found his niche in 2013-14 but Kern later preferred Impey, Broadbent and Hartlett as flankers, with average outcomes. Couldn't really play a shut down or KP role so he drifted for a couple of years.

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Couldn't understand what Hinkley was trying to achieve with Cam. Found his niche in 2013-14 but Kern later preferred Impey, Broadbent and Hartlett as flankers, with average outcomes. Couldn't really play a shut down or KP role so he drifted for a couple of years.
Cam was his own worst enemy too he just seemed sluggish at the start of seasons before hitting form in the midseason slog frustrating because his best footy is AFL standard no probs he was outstanding at times in 13/14.

Oct 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Lions had one pick and were committed to re-drafting Beams, but the idea of one of our pre-organised two selections being scooped up seems to have spooked them into using the PSD.

That being said, I'd suggest you're onto something with the Suns having picked a similar type in Jaska (though much younger and skinnier) at pick 2.
They were always getting O'Shea, the worry was Shaw wouldn't last to our second pick

StandByyourMan

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Intriguing pick here. SOS doesn't give out list spots willy nilly. He is clearly rated as a footballer. Interesting tale ahead for this one for mine.

The question here is this.. Is O'Shea better than White, Armfield, Sumner, Boekhorst, Smedts, Sheehan and Palmer who all played senior footy last year?

My answer is yes, he is better than all these players.

If this is a consensus, then SOS has yet again improved our list.
Well said

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
This is a great outcome for Northern and the partnership in general. I feel we’ve missed a couple under our own noses over the last few years and it makes it hard for Northern to attract senior VFL talent to help the team be contenders.

We need to create an environment at both organisations that are positive and competitive.

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
This is a great outcome for Northern and the partnership in general. I feel we’ve missed a couple under our own noses over the last few years and it makes it hard for Northern to attract senior VFL talent to help the team be contenders.

We need to create an environment at both organisations that are positive and competitive.

I think this cannot be understated. We need a strong VFL side and the message of your efforts won't be ignored at the Northern Blues is great.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Deserved this with some good footy in our reserves, may have played games at times last season if available too. We've got a deep backline so it'll be tough for him but injuries do happen.

Welcome Cam, well done on earning a spot on the list.

The hard work starts now, expect you will be ready for any opportunity to play senior footy that comes your way.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
I was very surprised when Port delisted him as has been a solid player for a number of years. Had a blinder of a year at
Northern, and has been rewarded accordingly. Haven't seen enough footage to comment on his poor disposal, but with so
many posters alluding to it through the year, it is hard to dismiss. As we know the coaches love him.

Like many I am surprised we take another tallish defender, when we struggle to give opportunity to our incumbent group.
Clearly the nuances of the modern game lead our brains trust to think he has a role to play. It is going to be interesting
seeing where he fits. Good luck Cam.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
The question here is this.. Is O'Shea better than White, Armfield, Sumner, Boekhorst, Smedts, Sheehan and Palmer who all played senior footy last year?

My answer is yes, he is better than all these players.

If this is a consensus, then SOS has yet again improved our list.

Barb is better than those you named !!

Jakksynn

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was a personal favourite of mine while with us. Went from whipping boy, to cult hero, and then back to whipping boy again. At his best he’s an above average intercept marking, running defender. At his worst he’s a turnover merchant who leaks goals 1 on 1. We tried him as a 3rd tall a few times and he failed miserably. Best suited to being a +1 in defence. Very much deserves his second chance and I hope he nails it with you guys.

Also, loves a final. Watch our 2013 elim final against Collingwood and you’ll see him at his best.

Oct 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
I stand by the notion that Tom Murphy was great value, as I expected him to go in the national draft.
I think you tend to overrate late draft talent. Some have great traits but it just so rarely works out. For example, I loved Dylan Moore in parts of games but after considering draft history and trends of recruiting he was only ever going to go third round or beyond.

Like the undersized full forward, unless they're crazy athletic and endurance kings they'll slide.

Kismet

Premium Platinum
Jan 30, 2009
Mornington
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Barnsley, Detroit Tigers
Was a personal favourite of mine while with us. Went from whipping boy, to cult hero, and then back to whipping boy again. At his best he’s an above average intercept marking, running defender. At his worst he’s a turnover merchant who leaks goals 1 on 1. We tried him as a 3rd tall a few times and he failed miserably. Best suited to being a +1 in defence. Very much deserves his second chance and I hope he nails it with you guys.

Also, loves a final. Watch our 2013 elim final against Collingwood and you’ll see him at his best.

Good summation. Has skills and can win on his day, but his drafting is contrary to the others we've taken since SOS took the reins due to his inaccurate disposal. That's hard to correct, and why he's a VFL standard player and not AFL.

mickelboy182

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets

I don't think thats an issue, plenty of NBs have beem drafted to other clubs. One just won a premiership.

They were always getting O'Shea, the worry was Shaw wouldn't last to our second pick

There's something missing there. Why not then take O'Shea with our second pick?
Clearly must have thought we couldn't get both inside our first two picks. Wonder which team/s may have been after both.

Welcome aboard Cam. :thumbsu:

Back