Toast Welcome to Carlton Cam O'Shea

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think thats an issue, plenty of NBs have beem drafted to other clubs. One just won a premiership.

Umm, that’s exactly the point I’m making!!

Why would good, young and somewhat unlucky not to be drafted players want to come to NB when we don’t select them under our noses yet other clubs do even though we’ve been putrid for 15 years.

Good quality VFL players are essential to a whole learning environment, NB needs to be a destination club as well

Our VFL team winning premierships or contending is also very important in the whole scheme of things, we have very few high quality VFL players not aligned to Carlton and we need a few more to get to the next level.

Umm, that’s exactly the point I’m making!!

Why would good, young and somewhat unlucky not to be drafted players want to come to NB when we don’t select them under our noses yet other clubs do even though we’ve been putrid for 15 years.

Seems like a self defeating argument?
Why would good young players come here... Because it's a club that has had a number of kids drafted, Carlton or not. Not sure us picking from within adds any more weight aside from an avid Carlton supporter.

Good summation. Has skills and can win on his day, but his drafting is contrary to the others we've taken since SOS took the reins due to his inaccurate disposal. That's hard to correct, and why he's a VFL standard player and not AFL.

Maybe his disposal has improved...I think his poor disposal in the past was more due to poor decision making than his actual kicking skills, but that will improve in a well-structured side.

I didn't think much of Liam Jones' foot skills but this year he barely missed a kick and some of his passes out of defence were bullet like.

Seems like a self defeating argument?
Why would good young players come here... Because it's a club that has had a number of kids drafted, Carlton or not. Not sure us picking from within adds any more weight aside from an avid Carlton supporter.

Because the Carlton football club isn’t just about the team of 22 that runs out in the AFL side every week.

I will argue a very strong seconds team is incredibly important to the prospects of the senior team being successful, just need to look at the teams winning flags nowadays and their corresponding positions in the VFL. Our seconds is only as strong as 25-44 on our list and that’s not good enough to be contending and providing a winning environment and pressure on spots in the firsts.

We need to entice more young non AFL prospects (good to excellent) to the NB, the way to do that is to take notice of those under our own noses and reward them by taking them seriously at draft time.

Last edited:
I think you tend to overrate late draft talent. Some have great traits but it just so rarely works out. For example, I loved Dylan Moore in parts of games but after considering draft history and trends of recruiting he was only ever going to go third round or beyond.

Like the undersized full forward, unless they're crazy athletic and endurance kings they'll slide.
He's probably slid because he's a top age TAC player that looked to have less scope. He's highly athletic, but needs a little more on his tank, but otherwise played up and down the flanks/wing at TAC level over two years.

Kicking action is a little unorthodox but the kicks sail beautifully. If he's not getting a senior gig for North in 18 months we should make a play for him.

Maybe his disposal has improved...I think his poor disposal in the past was more due to poor decision making than his actual kicking skills, but that will improve in a well-structured side.

I didn't think much of Liam Jones' foot skills but this year he barely missed a kick and some of his passes out of defence were bullet like.
Jones definitely changed his technique to hit more of his passes lower and harder, in a way very reminiscent of modern goalkeepers, where you almost slingshot the leg sideways using your hip, backside and natural arc more.

I think they call it a side volley, and our Mat Ryan is a good exponent of it... here we go:

Cam's nickname is fridge? I love that nickname!

Wonder why :/
Usually it's the same reason why someone is nicknamed 'Keg'.

Didn't think he was good enough to crack our best 22 but he deffs should have been on an AFL list. Was linked to St Kilda for a few years.

Glad you guys gave him a chance in your VFL side so he could show what he could do and impress your recruiters.

Very handy ready made depth that can play back flank as well as on a 3rd tall forward.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From memory his nickname came about because the boys thought he had no body shape, was just straight down and looked like a fridge.

I still love him and hope he becomes a gun for the Blues. His best is incredible. He had half a year in 13 and half a year in 14 that was pretty much AA level. Was our best player in the 13 finals and close to it in 14 as well. Was my favourite player.

His AFL traits were great - one of the fittest guys out there, could run and run and run till the end, his ability to zone off and read the play and intercept mark is as good as anyones and when he's going he has great skills as well. But his decision making - especially at key moments in close games - often had you uncontrollably swearing like a tourettes sufferer, he was poor 1 on 1 close to goal and it seemed that every year it took him till about June before he found any sort of form.

Really hope he takes this second chance. Will be great in Docherty's role.

From memory his nickname came about because the boys thought he had no body shape, was just straight down and looked like a fridge.

I still love him and hope he becomes a gun for the Blues. His best is incredible. He had half a year in 13 and half a year in 14 that was pretty much AA level. Was our best player in the 13 finals and close to it in 14 as well. Was my favourite player.

His AFL traits were great - one of the fittest guys out there, could run and run and run till the end, his ability to zone off and read the play and intercept mark is as good as anyones and when he's going he has great skills as well. But his decision making - especially at key moments in close games - often had you uncontrollably swearing like a tourettes sufferer, he was poor 1 on 1 close to goal and it seemed that every year it took him till about June before he found any sort of form.

Really hope he takes this second chance. Will be great in Docherty's role.
Agree with this.
For me, Cam in for Docherty instead of Weitering (who goes to the forward line allowing Curnow to move to the midfield)

I think this cannot be understated. We need a strong VFL side and the message of your efforts won't be ignored at the Northern Blues is great.
I agree ...instill a logical reward for effort protocol
Hey we want to train hard and be rewarded
we want to play well and improve
Yes we do want to win more than loose at Afl...

I still have the nightmarish thought of that game when we beat Port a couple years ago by the skin of our teeth and Cam barely registered a touch, but judging a guy purely on one game is a pretty terrible thing to do.

He's a Blue now and there's no doubt he'll give everything. Welcome lad and the best of luck.
From memory, I think it was actually an O'Shea handball that cost us the game. All the best to him anyway, very solid defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back