Past 39. Fraser Phillips

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Here you go The Bighouse

Well I’ll be damned. I wasn’t going to bother but the Bighouse asked me nicely. And I’m so glad he did.

Uhm. What have we here??????? Is this a left footed Jadyn Stevenson who without the long distance ability?

This kid could be something special. Harker watch this kid. Closely.

Ok let’s deal with the weaknesses. He’s skinny. He has no endurance. His hands at his shoelaces are inconsistent (I think is a mobility issue rather than hands. Lower back flexibility maybe?). Ok so to the build? I predict he fills out. Just looks like he will. Has the frame. Just clearly little time in the gym and/or insufficient attention to his (dietary) macros. I’ve no doubt about his frame at all. He will be 187 and 83 in 4 years. Endurance? I don’t really care. He’s a forward not a mid. It will improve enough. Hands at feet? Whatevrr. May screw it up every couple of weeks.

Ok that’s the negatives dealt with.

The kid is a freak. He will beat most people in a straight line race. Even with ball in hand. I love that he tucks it and goes. Pay attention Philpy. Just takes the space. Some people can keep up with him for straight line pace. Those that can he just drops with an agile snap of his body. He can contort very well.

So what’s he do? He gathers loose balls and uncontested possessions at will in the forward line. And then converts them into shots on goal for him or his team mates. Rinse. Repeat. Next week? Same again. And then again. He’s just consistently bloody dangerous.

His passing skills are great. Kicking is very good. His hands are reflexively good. I don’t like him in close but a ball bouncing around on its own is his. He will mark on the lead but has seemingly no leap.

I don’t really know what else to say. There were apparently 82 kids this year more likely to make it. What a pile of s**t.

I’m ready to make a big call here. He will kick 25 next year in the VFL. He will then go on and become a long term Carlton player. He’s a better prospect than Honey. Easily. He’s as good maybe better a poseoct than Ramsay. Who I really like.

Edited to add a point I missed: his special awareness is terrific. Couple that with his athleticism in the forward line and you get the picture. Just don’t think “big leap forward”. Think “super agile quick forward”. More agile than quick.

What a terrific get. Thank god so many AFL recruiters are dumb.

Last edited:

Blue Flame

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2012
UK
AFL Club
Carlton
Here you go The Bighouse

Well I’ll be damned. I wasn’t going to bother but the Bighouse asked me nicely. And I’m so glad he did.

Uhm. What have we here??????? Is this a left footed Jadyn Stevenson who without the long distance ability?

This kid could be something special. Harker watch this kid. Closely.

Ok let’s deal with the weaknesses. He’s skinny. He has no endurance. His hands at his shoelaces are inconsistent (I think is a mobility issue rather than hands. Lower back flexibility maybe?). Ok so to the build? I predict he fills out. Just looks like he will. Has the frame. Just clearly little time in the gym and/or insufficient attention to his (dietary) macros. I’ve no doubt about his frame at all. He will be 187 and 83 in 4 years. Endurance? I don’t really care. He’s a forward not a mid. It will improve enough. Hands at feet? Whatevrr. May screw it up every couple of weeks.

Ok that’s the negatives dealt with.

The kid is a freak. He will beat most people in a straight line race. Even with ball in hand. I love that he tucks it and goes. Pay attention Philpy. Just takes the space. Some people can keep up with him for straight line pace. Those that can he just drops with an agile snap of his body. He can contort very well.

So what’s he do? He gathers loose balls and uncontested possessions at will in the forward line. And then converts them into shots on goal for him or his team mates. Rinse. Repeat. Next week? Same again. And then again. He’s just consistently bloody dangerous.

His passing skills are great. Kicking is very good. His hands are reflexively good. I don’t like him in close but a ball bouncing around on its own is his. He will mark on the lead but has seemingly no leap.

I don’t really know what else to say. There were apparently 82 kids this year more likely to make it. What a pile of s**t.

I’m ready to make a big call here. He will kick 25 next year in the VFL. He will then go on and become a long term Carlton player. He’s a better prospect than Honey. Easily. He’s as good maybe better a poseoct than Ramsay. Who I really like.

Edited to add a point I missed: his special awareness is terrific. Couple that with his athleticism in the forward line and you get the picture. Just don’t think “big leap forward”. Think “super agile quick forward”. More agile than quick.

What a terrific get. Thank god so many AFL recruiters are dumb.
He done it guys. I'd like to kick off the discussion if you will, by calling you a delusional single-glazed pane.

PS love ya work.
PPS hope you are right (again)
PPPS agreed with you last year too.

Our last 2 premierships had Frasers in each of them
Just sayin 😉

images (64).jpeg

Oct 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Windows1,

I’m catching up on a week’s worth of posts on BF. Can I say that your post above is one of the most disgraceful things I’ve ever seen on this site? I had absolutely no hopes for this kid. Late rookie, thin, no endurance, etc. I was confident I could write him off. But now you’ve got my hopes up! :cool:

thanks for the review!

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Windows1,

I’m catching up on a week’s worth of posts on BF. Can I say that your post above is one of the most disgraceful things I’ve ever seen on this site? I had absolutely no hopes for this kid. Late rookie, thin, no endurance, etc. I was confident I could write him off. But now you’ve got my hopes up! :cool:

thanks for the review!
He’s multiple years away. He has shocking endurance (seen with my own eyes this week), and is a rake.

BUT

Just watch. Trust me. He’s got it.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
I tried watching these videos on Carlton website last night but for some reason, site has been changed and club site videos not loading as freely as before and time out errors.
Anyone else have that experience ?

Aramari

Senior List
Apr 9, 2002
Brighton
AFL Club
Carlton
I’ve seen just a handful of snippets of this guy, and I have no idea if he’ll make it. But aesthetically his game is as attractive as I’ve seen.

Graceful, elegant, classical, just beautiful to watch. That goal from the last scratch match was exquisitely taken.

Unfortunately, he’ll need to build a half decent endurance base before he plays much firsts. I want to see this guy play.

First post in this thread - Sorry Fraser

What I saw via the pre-season is an individual who has innate goal nous.
Can kick goals from just about any angles with ease. Easily one of the most natural goal-kickers I've seen at the club.
How he'll exercise this ability in traffic though, makes for another story.

For me, this is the best couple of rookies we've picked up in years, Honey included.
This is exactly how we should be using the rookie drafts - Little risk, high reward.

Even at this early stage of things, I don't want to see Phillips nor Honey....along with Cottrell, moved on at years end. Each has special traits to build upon.

Back