Toast Welcome to Carlton Hugh Goddard (Rookie)

Dominator_7

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2008
Princes Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, PAOK
Don’t mind the rookieing of Goddard. Under a much better standard high performance program run by Andrew Russell, we’ll back ourselves to fix his injury issues and condition him correctly. If this works out as planned, we could have ourselves an absolute bargain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big Boi

Draftee
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Not a fan of these rookie picks. Glad to finally get rid of our list cloggers only to bring a couple more in. Much prefer taking a stab at a Palmer or Fisher or another young talent. Cause ya never know right?
Both those guys you mentioned have already been on AFL lists and shown less than the two players we drafted.

Nov 8, 2000
Ask me tomorrow
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cronulla, Dallas Cowboys, Forest
Plowman Weitering Marchbank
Doc Jones Newman

I would play Jones for now on the taller, stronger forwards, such as Lynch, Dixon etc, but in time I want Macreadie to take over.

For now, Goddard is a back up and Ben developing
Yep, leaving Goddard, Macreadie and BSOS as our tall defenders in the 2s.

Kerr, TDK and Levi as our tall forwards and Lobbe and Phillips our depth rucks.

We have some good cover after delisting a few at the end of the season.

Our balance is coming good. McGovern enables McKay to be our backup ruck in the seniors as well.

SafeAsMilk

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Didn’t he play forward as a junior? I remember him being highly touted at one point but dropped all the way to the second round.

Maybe he plays up front with McKay and Curnow and McGovern down back? :footy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WeninRome

Premiership Player
Sep 16, 2007
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Not a fan of these rookie picks. Glad to finally get rid of our list cloggers only to bring a couple more in. Much prefer taking a stab at a Palmer or Fisher or another young talent. Cause ya never know right?
Pretty sure that we’ve openly said that we want to strengthen the Northern Blues.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
What I would have preferred, is taking Riley Grundy, late in the draft, rather than adding Goddard as a Rookie

Confident in saying that O'Dwyer would have been available, come the rookie draft
Yeah agree, but also would have preferred Tom McKenzie with the first pick in the rookie draft, and Finbar with our second rookie pick (if our team really liked him).

Let all the mature guys fight for that last spot in the preseason and select by March 15.

Coconut_twirl

All Australian
Jul 17, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm very happy he got another chance somewhere else. He could be a good pick, but unfortunately injuries cut him down at his time with the Saints. He apparently played some decent games in the VFL this year. It appeared he had his papers stamped quite early on this season by Richardson.

Well done to the Carlton football club for giving him a go.

raymagoo

Premiership Player
Feb 27, 2008
Langwarrin
AFL Club
Carlton
Didn’t he play forward as a junior? I remember him being highly touted at one point but dropped all the way to the second round.

Maybe he plays up front with McKay and Curnow and McGovern down back? :footy:
A year out from the draft he was in too 5 calculations. Played forward and back. Knock on his speed

Top Bottom