Past Hugh Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t mind the rookieing of Goddard. Under a much better standard high performance program run by Andrew Russell, we’ll back ourselves to fix his injury issues and condition him correctly. If this works out as planned, we could have ourselves an absolute bargain

can you choose your best defensive unit?

Plowman Weitering Marchbank
Doc Jones Newman

I would play Jones for now on the taller, stronger forwards, such as Lynch, Dixon etc, but in time I want Macreadie to take over.

For now, Goddard is a back up and Ben developing

Plowman Weitering Marchbank
Doc Jones Newman

I would play Jones for now on the taller, stronger forwards, such as Lynch, Dixon etc, but in time I want Macreadie to take over.

For now, Goddard is a back up and Ben developing

Yep, leaving Goddard, Macreadie and BSOS as our tall defenders in the 2s.

Kerr, TDK and Levi as our tall forwards and Lobbe and Phillips our depth rucks.

We have some good cover after delisting a few at the end of the season.

Our balance is coming good. McGovern enables McKay to be our backup ruck in the seniors as well.

Didn’t he play forward as a junior? I remember him being highly touted at one point but dropped all the way to the second round.

Maybe he plays up front with McKay and Curnow and McGovern down back? :footy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a fan of these rookie picks. Glad to finally get rid of our list cloggers only to bring a couple more in. Much prefer taking a stab at a Palmer or Fisher or another young talent. Cause ya never know right?

Pretty sure that we’ve openly said that we want to strengthen the Northern Blues.

I actually like this pick. There were a bunch of guys that I would have been happy to pick up in the rookie draft and Hugh was one of them. Still very young (especially as a KPP) so still has a lot of growth left in him. IMO, this is a low risk, high reward selection.

What I would have preferred, is taking Riley Grundy, late in the draft, rather than adding Goddard as a Rookie

Confident in saying that O'Dwyer would have been available, come the rookie draft
Yeah agree, but also would have preferred Tom McKenzie with the first pick in the rookie draft, and Finbar with our second rookie pick (if our team really liked him).

Let all the mature guys fight for that last spot in the preseason and select by March 15.

I'm very happy he got another chance somewhere else. He could be a good pick, but unfortunately injuries cut him down at his time with the Saints. He apparently played some decent games in the VFL this year. It appeared he had his papers stamped quite early on this season by Richardson.

Well done to the Carlton football club for giving him a go.

The game of life Hugh.
Dealt a s**t sandwhich (saints) first time around.
Now a second chance at a reborn seriously emerging footy powerhouse.
Sieze the moment ...
Can seriously play. As you say, copped a rough hand with the Saints. Be great to see him forge a career at the Blues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back