Past Hugh Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

Plowman Weitering Marchbank
Doc Jones Newman

I would play Jones for now on the taller, stronger forwards, such as Lynch, Dixon etc, but in time I want Macreadie to take over.

For now, Goddard is a back up and Ben developing[/QUOTE
Plowman Weitering Marchbank
Doc Jones Newman

I would play Jones for now on the taller, stronger forwards, such as Lynch, Dixon etc, but in time I want Macreadie to take over.

For now, Goddard is a back up and Ben developing

Think Willo has to be in there. Agree with Macreadie eventually kicking someone out.

But way too slow that defence line, particularly with the new rule changes.

I still feel that is an area we didn't cover this trade and draft period. We lack leg speed.

Perhaps we throw a Cuningham or Garlett down there but I'm not sold on either as defenders.

Hopefully he gets a change of luck with injuries. Always worth taking a punt on a former top 15 draft pick

I w ish Hugh the very best of luck and a warm welcome to our footy club. I am enjoying the fact the club on social media is making a big deal out of all our recruits, from pick 1 through to rookie selections.

Think it's great for morale and team chemistry that all players are treated equally :)

Confident in saying that O'Dwyer would have been available, come the rookie draft

Yeah agree, but also would have preferred Tom McKenzie with the first pick in the rookie draft, and Finbar with our second rookie pick (if our team really liked him).

He was rated highest on our board at that pick, so of course we were picking him there, rather than waiting and hoping he may be there later.

It would be silly to do years of work on these prospects only to second guess your work in the heat of the moment.

He was rated highest on our board at that pick, so of course we were picking him there, rather than waiting and hoping he may be there later.

It would be silly to do years of work on these prospects only to second guess your work in the heat of the moment.
Maybe. Time will tell whether he will be a good selection.

I rate Williamson as a late selection by our team, but aren't very sure on the rest yet.

Personally a little concerned about the guys weve taken late from the aps school system (Xavier and Haileybury predominantly) who seem to have been on the radar because they played school footy with Silvagnis kids. Worry that we don't give our interstate scouts enough credit and have heard a few negative things about SOS from a draft scouting perspective (including calling opposition team list managers to ask about players who he didn't get to the game of - crazy if true, and I hope it isnt - like Dodo or Wright would give an honest assessment of how a kid played).

Maybe. Time will tell whether he will be a good selection.

I rate Williamson as a late selection by our team, but aren't very sure on the rest yet.

Personally a little concerned about the guys weve taken late from the aps school system (Xavier and Haileybury predominantly) who seem to have been on the radar because they played school footy with Silvagnis kids. Worry that we don't give our interstate scouts enough credit and have heard a few negative things about SOS from a draft scouting perspective (including calling opposition team list managers to ask about players who he didn't get to the game of - crazy if true, and I hope it isnt - like Dodo or Wright would give an honest assessment of how a kid played).
I don't think it's crazy.
Hearing Dodo yesterday on SEN, that type of thing seems to be standard industry practice.
It's not as if the List managers don't then follow up with their own due diligence.
It sounds more like smart networking.

Need to do some more research, but think he may have been boarding at Xavier College, so SOS would have seen a bit of him.

Although, just because we rated where we took him, doesn't mean he wouldn't have been available in the rookie draft

Think Willo has to be in there. Agree with Macreadie eventually kicking someone out.

But way too slow that defence line, particularly with the new rule changes.

I still feel that is an area we didn't cover this trade and draft period. We lack leg speed.

Perhaps we throw a Cuningham or Garlett down there but I'm not sold on either as defenders.

I was hoping we would play Willo as a wingman, hopefully that is the plan with adding Newman. I am also concerned with the leg speed, but if Macreadie forces his way in, that will help. Also agree, adding the likes of a Cuners will create a better balance

I was hoping we would play Willo as a wingman, hopefully that is the plan with adding Newman. I am also concerned with the leg speed, but if Macreadie forces his way in, that will help. Also agree, adding the likes of a Cuners will create a better balance
Had Willo, in my thinking, as a winger at start of 2018.
Have since changed my mind, thinking that perhaps staying at HB might be a better way to mnage his chronic back condition?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it's crazy.
Hearing Dodo yesterday on SEN, that type of thing seems to be standard industry practice.
It's not as if the List managers don't then follow up with their own due diligence.
It sounds more like smart networking.
Yeah ok. Maybe it's a bit of feeling out the opposition so you know what their board may shape up like later in the season too. I hope that's the case, and not the alternative

Newman ain't quick. Hopefully Docherty and Willo will be enough but I think we are still lacking in the speed department.

question - would we have approached goddard & bugg to train with us or would their managers have sought us out?
A bit of both. Manager is responsible for making sure his client has options if he wants to continue playing. Carlton probably looked at who was available and happy to take the phone call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back