Past Joanne Doonan

Remove this Banner Ad

We've signed another rookie for the 2019/2020 season, 25 year old Irishwoman Joanne Doonan.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-09-02/blues-sign-irish-rookie-

IRISH Gaelic footballer Joanne Doonan will join the Carlton Football Club as its second AFLW rookie for the 2020 season.

Doonan is the first ever Irish-born AFLW signing for the Blues and joins the Club from the Fermanagh Gaelic Athletic Association Ladies team, where she is currently the captain.

Welcome to Carlton :thumbsu:

R U OK Aphrodite? :p

These Irish girls must love aflw.

Use their existing Gaelic skills except just with an oval ball, get paid to play the game unlike gaelic football and get a summer long most-expenses-paid holiday in australia to top it off.

Edit:

Last edited:

She landed the night of Friday, 16 August, stayed the weekend and flew home on Tuesday. The definition of a flying visit.
“It was hectic,” she nods, “it was good to get a feel of what training will be like and see everything. I fitted a lot in for the three days, I was home before I even realised.”

She met some of the club’s staff and top players including Darcy Vescio and Katie Loynes, trained with the VFL team and received a really warm welcome all round.
“They got onto me straight away which was really nice,” she smiles. ” It was just absolutely lovely when I was training with them. Hopefully the others will be the same and as welcoming.”

A good read this, pretty long and detailed. Seems like a good player to grab.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Delisted, probably due to Covid-19 given that it is unlikely she'll be allowed back to Australia by next year. Sounds like a recent change in mind from the club with the second lockdown and second wave.

The Blues have told Irishwoman Joanne Doonan that she will not be offered a contract for next year. Her manager Jason Hill said Carlton had originally indicated they were likely to retain Doonan but had changed their tune in recent days.

*Mod Edit - Link added

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back