37 boyd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

swuzzlebubble

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2007
Royal Pde
AFL Club
Carlton
So like the old days when you had mid-season transfers, does Boyd on week play for Footscray and then the next week just plays for Carlton ?
Yes but will need sign-off to play against Footscray if we play them again in VFL
Also can go back and play finals for Footscray if we're out. That's how I read it anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stiffler's Dad

Premium Platinum
Oct 8, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Hungarian Women's Nude Road Bowls
What is this thing - a defender?
The only thing that comes to mind is that I remember my Dad used to use a snail bait that was called defender.
Otherwise can't help, nothing else springs to mind.... sorry!

Have you heard anything about this new fandangle thing they call a midfielder? Apparently they're all the rage..... everyone has got 4 or 5 and they are quick. 😮

Pentatonic Flat Fifth

All Australian
Apr 18, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Well, that's different then. If he's transitioning into a genuine small defender with pace, I'm all for it. When was the last time we had someone who could play on the quick small forwards in a close checking capacity? Won't have to play Plowman on them.

We had no choice once we couldn't get Tom Papley.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Probably worth noting that the club write-up on him suggests that we see him being part of our forward mix, not playing down back.
I really, really don't mind that. He looks like half forward might be a decent go, opposite Fogarty.

He's also doesn't play as short as he is, either. Got a good leap, and more than willing to go over and through you to punch the ball without infringing. Good gather of the loose ball too, and unafraid to use the left.

I'm trying to see the problem/inadequacies here. He's quick, he gathers the loose ball, pretty good and long kick, agile, good at defending overhead. Is he just not a good tackler? Doesn't get his own ball?

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Well, one from left field. Will be well drilled from the 'dogs. Those highlights are quite spectacular. Ball use, ball security spot and hit up a target. Thinking short term would be earmarked for a defensive role with the likes of Honey and Durdin developing up forward with Fish and M.O.

Like Arr0w was wanting more "spine players" but this fellow might just complement our list nicely. Certainly better option to take long term pieces of the puzzle rather than stop gap fillers. A little bit of a blight on our development system when we need to take a mature "role" player. Looks like a decent chance to get the job done sooner rather than later. No complaints from me.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I really, really don't mind that. He looks like half forward might be a decent go, opposite Fogarty.

He's also doesn't play as short as he is, either. Got a good leap, and more than willing to go over and through you to punch the ball without infringing. Good gather of the loose ball too, and unafraid to use the left.

I'm trying to see the problem/inadequacies here. He's quick, he gathers the loose ball, pretty good and long kick, agile, good at defending overhead. Is he just not a good tackler? Doesn't get his own ball?

Reckon he's just pretty outside and doesn't find himself in positions where he needs to tackle. Coming from the Bulldogs/Footscray system I doubt he has any issues tackling, at this stage he is mostly a receiver though.

Back