Rookie 44. Matt Owies

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Matt. No expectations for the kid other than he tries his guts out and fights for the jumper. If he develops into a player that is senior 22 quality, then that's fantastic. Some skills will be transferable from bball but hopefully he can pick back up on his very good junior footy that he apparently played. Go well!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW here are my basketball scouting notes about Mathew (albeit most from 2016)

Speed - Is seriously quick (ran 2.85 over 20m), fantastic lateral quickness and agility.

Great vertical leap for his size

Good awareness and decision making (as PG)

Enormous work rate.

Not sure what his foot skills are like though.

I also think 1.85m is a stretch (he’s closer to 5”11)

FWIW here are my basketball scouting notes about Mathew (albeit most from 2016)

Speed - Is seriously quick (ran 2.85 over 20m), fantastic lateral quickness and agility.

Great vertical leap for his size

Good awareness and decision making (as PG)

Enormous work rate.

Not sure what his foot skills are like though.

I also think 1.85m is a stretch (he’s closer to 5”11)

He’s been mentioned @ 183 or 185cms so far, so likely the former ‘eh?

Welcome Matt, hopefully more of a success than our last basketballer, Matt Korcheck

But Matt Owies was a junior footballer, right? Probably says that in this thread somewhere (which i haven't actually read)

Yes up to age 15 I think, That means he knows how to kick , bounce and handball- some of the basics that hold a non native afl player. Could be a real steal.

Welcome Matt. No expectations for the kid other than he tries his guts out and fights for the jumper. If he develops into a player that is senior 22 quality, then that's fantastic. Some skills will be transferable from bball but hopefully he can pick back up on his very good junior footy that he apparently played. Go well!
Tops Bagger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back