Welcome Michael Voss - The Real Boss!

welcome to Voss the boss…
hard at it player who will bring a new hardened attitude to a team that lacks it..
i Hope he makes everyone who doubts his appointment eat sh*t!

See thats how you back in a new appointment ... no wiggle room there mate! Love it!

BlueBayou

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I was deflated, almost defeated at the end of the season. I despaired that this football club had any idea at all what it was doing.

Since then, the taking of the reigns by a new Pres, the appointment of a new first rate CEO, and this appointment as Coach of a real football person, with impeccable credentials as a player and leader and solid grounding as man manager and tactician has me almost tingling with anticipation.

I feel really good about this trio of people steering our Mighty Blues. Confidence is a fickle and transitory thing, but it has returned for me.

I think Voss will bring a no nonsense approach to the on field performance his refreshing interviews have been a revelation; while the CEO and Pres can keep all and sundry in their lanes, including so called 'power brokers'.

Woe betide any player who turns up underdone to pre-season. Standards are about to get a huge shake up, methinks.

GordonBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Saw him on 360 tonight. Feeling heaps of positive thoughts towards him. He has this drive that I think is unique and only kinda see it in Champions of the game.

He is a competitor, hates losing and wants to be the best.

Right now he is remembered as a Champion of the game, however played the game better than knowing how to coach the game. It doesn't sit right with him and has a drive to be remember as one of the greats both as player and coach.

That is all I need to tell me the coach we have now will not leave a stone unturned in order to try to achieve that ultimate prize.

I also love the fact he never gave up hope to coach again. He realised he needs to grow and worked on himself as a coach, leader and tried to strengthen his deficiencies.

Obviously the proof will be in the pudding, however right now I am more than satisfied with the appointment.

You can see the love he still has for the club which only endeared me more towards him.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watched the Blue Abroad video where Terry and Pommie talked about how they wanted Voss back when Teague was appointed. The very salient point they made though, is that we should support Voss until he stuffs up. That's the way I think too. Support until they give you reason not to.

As Terry also said, if you start off thinking they will fail, and you put that vibe out there, you are inviting failure. You might get a small ego hit by having your negativity validated, but is it worth it?

The negativity reaches the media and it reaches the club and it can cause knee jerk reactions. Why would you want your attitude, posted in public, to permeate the club you profess to love?

BlueBayou

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Saw him on 360 tonight. Feeling heaps of positive thoughts towards him. He has this drive that I think is unique and only kinda see it in Champions of the game.

He is a competitor, hates losing and wants to be the best.

Right now he is remembered as a Champion of the game, however played the game better than knowing how to coach the game. It doesn't sit right with him and has a drive to be remember as one of the greats both as player and coach.

That is all I need to tell me the coach we have now will not leave a stone unturned in order to try to achieve that ultimate prize.

I also love the fact he never gave up hope to coach again. He realised he needs to grow and worked on himself as a coach, leader and tried to strengthen his deficiencies.

Obviously the proof will be in the pudding, however right now I am more than satisfied with the appointment.

You can see the love he still has for the club which only endeared me more towards him.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree with all of this.

I was not keen on Clarkson as I feel he may be either burnt out or not really driven to do the job justice.
Lyon has never really impressed me as a coach and his 'system' would be tested under the 6-6-6 and manning the mark rules. But I would have welcomed his discipline.
Never wanted the Figjam from the filth.
Never wanted either of the twins.

In a narrowing field, I think the Club has made an outstanding choice and given the big win they have had in the media today it bodes well with three articulate, poised media performers who appeared to be telling the truth.

Voss = Polish, poise, steel. He will set standards that he can back up from his playing days

I think we may well have hit on a terrific trio to helm the ship.

Apr 24, 2007
at home
AFL Club
Carlton
I was deflated, almost defeated at the end of the season. I despaired that this football club had any idea at all what it was doing.

Since then, the taking of the reigns by a new Pres, the appointment of a new first rate CEO, and this appointment as Coach of a real football person, with impeccable credentials as a player and leader and solid grounding as man manager and tactician has me almost tingling with anticipation.

I feel really good about this trio of people steering our Mighty Blues. Confidence is a fickle and transitory thing, but it has returned for me.

I think Voss will bring a no nonsense approach to the on field performance his refreshing interviews have been a revelation; while the CEO and Pres can keep all and sundry in their lanes, including so called 'power brokers'.

Woe betide any player who turns up underdone to pre-season. Standards are about to get a huge shake up, methinks.
I too was deflated, I had the image of Saad in tears on the boundary at the end of the port game, thinking that the lack of fight and willingness to play for team mates and contest with all your might, brought Saady undone that game.

Now we can look forward to competent leaders off the field guide all the players on the field to make each contest an opportunity to show unity and care for your team mates and the club as a whole.

Vossy will bring that courage and fortitude to the front of the players minds and challenge the mindset of near enough is good enough.

I think we've got a coach with the balance of tough but fair just right.

Welcome Vossy

Feb 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Celtics, AC Milan
sounds a whole lot better than Teague when he has something to say thats for sure.
excited by this appointment and from that press conference with Cook, Voss and Sayers in the seats the place looks in much better hands than it did during the season.

A real warrior and I get the impression he has a serious point to prove.

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Voss very nearly made finals in 2013 his last year as coach. Was robbed by the Cats in the final round to lose by a point only for Carlton to steal the spot by beating Port in a massive come from behind upset to jump Lions, North and Adelaide who were all on 10 wins. Was then sacked
I thought Harvey was stand in coach by that stage

I thought Harvey was stand in coach by that stage

Voss was sacked after round 20 at 8-11 for the season. They beat bottom 4 sides GWS and Western Bulldogs to finish 10-12.

They were rattling home in the second half of the season after an ordinary first half of the season.

Members were outraged after the sacking and were yelling out at the AGM demanding the president and board stand down.

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Unfortunately, he can make all the demands about durability that he wants, our players will continue to break down at the first sign of intensity... If he can change that, he is an absolute ******* wizard.
That is very simple to change. Preparation. Players that are meticulous in the way they do things just don't get injured as often as ones who are 5% lazier or inconsistent. Big critique of Teague? Low standards and poor routines - would contribute to the durability issues imo. Just an opinion but not an outlandish one I would've thought. Better prep = less injuries.

Screenshot_2021-09-24-02-08-37-64_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Well, if ever a team needed a motivator.

BlueTongue

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2009
The Void
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
TEAM 17 (Flags)
I too was deflated, I had the image of Saad in tears on the boundary at the end of the port game, thinking that the lack of fight and willingness to play for team mates and contest with all your might, brought Saady undone that game.

Now we can look forward to competent leaders off the field guide all the players on the field to make each contest an opportunity to show unity and care for your team mates and the club as a whole.

Vossy will bring that courage and fortitude to the front of the players minds and challenge the mindset of near enough is good enough.

I think we've got a coach with the balance of tough but fair just right.

Welcome Vossy
If ever there was a damning summary of just how far we fell to satisfy DTs ego, that is it. Saad came to us with a genuine desire to play for a club with a proud history that he believed would be challenging for finals and to escape a rotten culture.

Look at what we did to him. He must have been wondering how the hell it could have gone so wrong in his first year. To all those who thought the club did the wrong thing sacking Teague and that we should have persevered with him for another year, I challenge you to think about how you felt as the 17th, 18th, 19th unanswered goal went through.

TBH, the rage I felt for Teague was gone in the losses leading up to that game. In that game I just felt sick. Like the club was gone and irredeemable, and DT too much of a simpleton to come up with a change to his game plan. But looking back, no-one who has played the game at the highest level could be that stupid. No, it was Ego/Pride, and to be fair, I suspect shell shock and resignation. Not at all what you want from your coach.

Since Luke Sayers has stepped up, I feel that heavy veil of negativity and hopelessness lifting, and I genuinely feel Voss is the right man for the job, because of his mental resilience and his willingness to learn humility yet remain strong.

Only time and results will tell if he was the right choice, but I feel totally at ease with his appointment and a calm willingness to trust he will deliver, which I don’t think I would have had with Clarko or Lyon, under the weight of expectation.

Aug 17, 2016
GOLD COAST
AFL Club
Carlton
finals then a premiership no pressure Vossy
Thanks
Wow.....asking for good odds
I think first the club has to establish a stable training/gameplan ,Voss will probably try and drive standards somewhat higher including fitness and executing role.
At the end of the day this guy was very elite and seems to want to drive a pretty serious standard of application in his career which now makes him head coach at Carlton....This has to filter through to the payers though,he Voss has to infect them with enthusiasm
To be fair you have to honestly see where the club is at ,so with a positive graph of improvement we could see some finals,there will be ups and downs however,the list may need to change further to allow proper finals success to occur

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton

During his presser, Voss said he wanted to shift the paradigm a little to make playing together more than just about the result. I liked that. That seems the type of team culture we saw with the Richmond, Geelong and Lions premiership teams.

Just quietly too, I think he's gonna be great for Stocker for some reason.

BlueDomain

Rookie
Jul 8, 2010
New York
AFL Club
Carlton
I am a long time member and reader of BF, but don't post very often........... I don't know if Voss is the right choice, only time will tell, but I am very comfortable with him having a genuine crack at lifting our club. We have been down the road of recruiting proven coaches, twice in the last 20 years or so, but that didn't save us. I personally believe that just like players coached also have their prime windows and then just burn out/lose motivation, etc. Clarko is a great coach, but after 4 flags he may well be past his prime. He certainly has nothing to prove after achieving the ultimate prize four times, Voss on the other hand is climbing the hill and is very hungry. Give him the right support and anything can happen.

Apr 24, 2007
at home
AFL Club
Carlton
If ever there was a damning summary of just how far we fell to satisfy DTs ego, that is it. Saad came to us with a genuine desire to play for a club with a proud history that he believed would be challenging for finals and to escape a rotten culture.

Look at what we did to him. He must have been wondering how the hell it could have gone so wrong in his first year. To all those who thought the club did the wrong thing sacking Teague and that we should have persevered with him for another year, I challenge you to think about how you felt as the 17th, 18th, 19th unanswered goal went through.

TBH, the rage I felt for Teague was gone in the losses leading up to that game. In that game I just felt sick. Like the club was gone and irredeemable, and DT too much of a simpleton to come up with a change to his game plan. But looking back, no-one who has played the game at the highest level could be that stupid. No, it was Ego/Pride, and to be fair, I suspect shell shock and resignation. Not at all what you want from your coach.

Since Luke Sayers has stepped up, I feel that heavy veil of negativity and hopelessness lifting, and I genuinely feel Voss is the right man for the job, because of his mental resilience and his willingness to learn humility yet remain strong.

Only time and results will tell if he was the right choice, but I feel totally at ease with his appointment and a calm willingness to trust he will deliver, which I don’t think I would have had with Clarko or Lyon, under the weight of expectation.
Well said.
Teague had to go.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

outabounds

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 21, 2009
Lygon Street
AFL Club
Carlton
I am very disappointed at how this has played out. I wanted Lyon, we were promised someone of his ilk a few weeks ago and we couldn't do it. I wish Voss all the best but cannot pretend to say I am the least bit excited. Vossy's first stint as a coach was a disaster and he was clearly about our 5 or 6th choice. It is an embarrassment to the club and unfair on him that we all know this. Obviously we need the right people around him but the very fact that so many posters here need to say this about his appointment tends to indicate that not everyone has 100% faith he can do it.I know some people will accuse me of being negative but thats the way I feel about it all. Trust me, if I am wrong about all of this, I will be the happiest person in the world but I am damaged by what has gone on this year.

Back