Welcome Michael Voss - The Real Boss!

Apr 24, 2007
at home
AFL Club
Carlton
You have every right to feel disappointed. Many of us wanted Clarko and if not him Lyon. But many of us also said each choice has pros and cons.
I don't quite get how you think bossy was number 5 or 6 on the list though. The panel has never mentioned who was on there list and the meedya were obviously just throwing darts.
We know that sayers wanted Clarko from it's on this board and he would have been selected if he wanted the job but names like Scott, pyke, leppitsch, Lyon, were either not approached or in Lyons case sounded out for interest.
This doesn't in my mind mean they were preferred for the job, just means the club wanted to assess their suitability by way of a selection process.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

outabounds

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 21, 2009
Lygon Street
AFL Club
Carlton
You have every right to feel disappointed. Many of us wanted Clarko and if not him Lyon. But many of us also said each choice has pros and cons.
I don't quite get how you think bossy was number 5 or 6 on the list though. The panel has never mentioned who was on there list and the meedya were obviously just throwing darts.
We know that sayers wanted Clarko from it's on this board and he would have been selected if he wanted the job but names like Scott, pyke, leppitsch, Lyon, were either not approached or in Lyons case sounded out for interest.
This doesn't in my mind mean they were preferred for the job, just means the club wanted to assess their suitability by way of a selection process.

I feel he was behind these guys in roughly this order-- Clarkson, Lyon, Scott, Pyke, Fagan ..............and then there was a process. The fact that this saga has played out like this and we all know about it is embarrassing to the club.

sosos

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Saga?

We sacked one inept, novice coach and went through a process and hired an experienced one who deserves a 2nd chance.

Looked at all the options and chose our man.

All at the same time, we were working through replacing the CEO.

I reckon the club has done an absolutely fantastic job of turning the behemoth of a ship that is the mighty Carlton Football Club around.

Apr 24, 2007
at home
AFL Club
Carlton
I feel he was behind these guys in roughly this order-- Clarkson, Lyon, Scott, Pyke, Fagan ..............and then there was a process. The fact that this saga has played out like this and we all know about it is embarrassing to the club.
You might be right, on one level all of those names might have been persons of interest to coach the side, in varying degrees by sayers and individual panel members.
My take is being sounded out to invite them to throw their hat in the ring is good management.

I think the only saga is a media driven one, so I wouldn't put much stock in that. Seems to me we stuck to a process.

Feb 16, 2013
Where the sun don't shine
AFL Club
Carlton
I am very disappointed at how this has played out. I wanted Lyon, we were promised someone of his ilk a few weeks ago and we couldn't do it. I wish Voss all the best but cannot pretend to say I am the least bit excited. Vossy's first stint as a coach was a disaster and he was clearly about our 5 or 6th choice. It is an embarrassment to the club and unfair on him that we all know this. Obviously we need the right people around him but the very fact that so many posters here need to say this about his appointment tends to indicate that not everyone has 100% faith he can do it.I know some people will accuse me of being negative but thats the way I feel about it all. Trust me, if I am wrong about all of this, I will be the happiest person in the world but I am damaged by what has gone on this year.
Couple of questions:
1. Who exactly "promised" us someone of Lyon's "ilk" and when?
2. Who are the 4 or 5 ahead of Voss? I assume you can name the 4 or 5 the panel had ahead of him.
3. You talk about being "damaged" this year, what has Voss got to do with our performance in 2021?

Oct 5, 2004
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
There were 10 or 12 interviewed initially that was whittled down to 4. Voss was selected as the best of the final four.

Congratulations Michael Voss and welcome to the greatest club on earth Carlton Football Club.
We were never taking a first timer even though we interviewed them. We had to interview them as Voss was the last experienced coach available so needed a back up. Sayers made it very clear when Teague was sacked he wanted finals and hence needed an experienced coach. Ironic that 5 failed years at Brisbane was the catalyst for getting Voss over the line over a highly rated first timer. If the Scott's or Buckley had of been available Voss wouldn't have got a look in.

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
If Vossy can get Crippa back to his best watch out
Get the feeling that Vossy will have already earmarked a few conversations with guys like Crippa and Doc who are in danger of being past their best. A personal challenge to make them powerhouses again. And you know what? I reckon he'll do it.

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns
Interesting to hear Kane Cornes just now who was coached for a year by Voss at Port Adelaide.

Voss has a presence and aura that commanded respect

I can see that the Blues players really need that given player power and its rumoured role in getting rid of the last two coaches.

GordonBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I am very disappointed at how this has played out. I wanted Lyon, we were promised someone of his ilk a few weeks ago and we couldn't do it. I wish Voss all the best but cannot pretend to say I am the least bit excited. Vossy's first stint as a coach was a disaster and he was clearly about our 5 or 6th choice. It is an embarrassment to the club and unfair on him that we all know this. Obviously we need the right people around him but the very fact that so many posters here need to say this about his appointment tends to indicate that not everyone has 100% faith he can do it.I know some people will accuse me of being negative but thats the way I feel about it all. Trust me, if I am wrong about all of this, I will be the happiest person in the world but I am damaged by what has gone on this year.
Sorry, when you say 5th choice, I don't believe that one bit.

Only Clarkson was preferred ahead of Voss.

Everyone else needed to go through a process.

Asking others if they are interested does not mean they are preferred nor would have got the job.

Maybe if Fagan said yes, he would be the only other that didn't need to go through the process.

I don't believe media re C Scott. Even B Scott was only media speculation and doubt he would have been chosen ahead of Voss.

Pyke is also purely speculation.

If Clarkson was a no, then club would be looking for the candidate that ticked as many boxes as possible and to do that, the process needed to be followed.

We could have had Lyon if we wanted him, without a process.

I say Voss is our 2nd choice of coaches not in a current senior coaching job.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting to hear Kane Cornes just now who was coached for a year by Voss at Port Adelaide.

Voss has a presence and aura that commanded respect

I can see that the Blues players really need that given player power and its rumoured role in getting rid of the last two coaches.
Yep, the challenge for Vossy is to use that aura and power responsibly.

He probably f’d it up a bit at Brissy with his trade input, but hopefully has learned since then.

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
I was deflated, almost defeated at the end of the season. I despaired that this football club had any idea at all what it was doing.

Since then, the taking of the reigns by a new Pres, the appointment of a new first rate CEO, and this appointment as Coach of a real football person, with impeccable credentials as a player and leader and solid grounding as man manager and tactician has me almost tingling with anticipation.

I feel really good about this trio of people steering our Mighty Blues. Confidence is a fickle and transitory thing, but it has returned for me.

I think Voss will bring a no nonsense approach to the on field performance his refreshing interviews have been a revelation; while the CEO and Pres can keep all and sundry in their lanes, including so called 'power brokers'.

Woe betide any player who turns up underdone to pre-season. Standards are about to get a huge shake up, methinks.

Don’t forget Diesal. He is and will be huge as footy director.
Already showing the no nonsense hands on approach is exactly what we have needed and lacked.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
How awesome are these pics

FAAZB8rVEAATEMr

I can get Crippa to play better = ‘Get back to focusing on winning the ball at the stoppages and let the opposition worry about you’

And don't play for free kicks all the time and plead with the ump .. it shows defeatism ..

And don't play for free kicks all the time and plead with the ump .. it shows defeatism ..
Never understand why players argue with the ump. Not once have they ever reversed their decision on the back of that.

Back