Senior 24. Nic Newman

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a moot point now, but I think you're being overly harsh and narrow.

A lot of players can excel in a certain role, where clear parameters or other's leadership assists with good decision making.

Docherty missing stuffed us around last year. A lot of errors from players like Jones and Byrne...as well as the rest of them because we were shocking overall.

Sydney do this to perfection, their backline makes everyone look good, often turning rookies and low picks into a very good defense.

Nic Newman may be very good for us, and I hope he is! But I also have a thought in the back of my mind that the Sydney system, coaching and leadership made him look better than he is.
Sydney system would be a major factor in making players look better. Allot of it depends on a non complex game plan that they can all execute, having Dock there will be a god sent, however in comparison to Byrne I would say that some of the Basic football skills will come naturally to Newman as he grew up with the game.

If there's one thing we can take away from Richmond and WCE over the last few years, a team of role players is the key to success. Newman will play a role and do a damn good job!
6 of one half a dozen of the other. West coast have absolute guns in McGovern Hurn Kennedy Darling Shuey and Yeo, plus the best tagger of 2018 in Hutchings.

Richmond have guns in Rance, Cotchin, Martin, Edwards, Riewoldt, Lambert, Grimes and Astbury.

The role player idea is that the bottom 6-10 of the list is reasonably strong. So when you’re missing gaff and Nic Nat you can lean on your other stars and fill the gaps.

Sydney system would be a major factor in making players look better. Allot of it depends on a non complex game plan that they can all execute, having Dock there will be a god sent, however in comparison to Byrne I would say that some of the Basic football skills will come naturally to Newman as he grew up with the game.
Not so sure the swans have a simple game plan, what they’ve got are brilliant on field communicators, I know internally that McVeigh, Mills and Rampe are unbelievably good on field down back and Kennedy is brilliant for their midfield... it’s something Carlton identified it was missing this year. So I certainly hope we’ve got enough on field leadership and voice to lead players like Newman. I’m not convinced getting Docherty back will be enough.

Not so sure the swans have a simple game plan, what they’ve got are brilliant on field communicators, I know internally that McVeigh, Mills and Rampe are unbelievably good on field down back and Kennedy is brilliant for their midfield... it’s something Carlton identified it was missing this year. So I certainly hope we’ve got enough on field leadership and voice to lead players like Newman. I’m not convinced getting Docherty back will be enough.
True, Simpson was there for most of the year but I dont know if he was a vocal type, doesn't look it. Looks like his best asset is to lead by example. We now have Crippa in the middle (Murph lacked in this area during games) hopefully a few others step up, but we definitely need some of these younger guys to earn respect through performance and then take responsibility in making sure they and their teammates are accountable to game plan coaches instructions and effort.

Might not be him and I know this will be unpopular with most, but i believe Doc, will play through the middle, in stages, during the year

tenor.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2017 Newman might have cost more.

We had to get more mature (and resiliant ) players in the door and he's a cheapie.

Good luck.

2017 version definitely would have cost more, ignoring the ‘in contract’ factor.

McVeigh missed half the season and Newman and Lloyd were pretty much the ‘constants’ as far as small running/distributing defenders.

This year he was behind Lloyd, McVeigh, Jones, and Mills. Not a bad group of players...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No Docharty to the midfield.

If you are AA in a position. Play that position. Will be our general down back and set up all our play.

We are instantly a better side with him back there.
it's like a warm, sun-shower..........:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back