Universal Love Nick Austin - Head Of List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

The thrust of the authors thesis is that due to experiences and leaned behaviours, embedded in our dopamine neurons, some of us can make better instinctively, rather than analytically, driven decisions than others. Where this really comes into play is in those instances where quick decision making is important; probably explains why SOS was able to react as quickly as he appeared to during live trading. Just saying.

Makes sense. First reactions, opinions or thoughts are often the truest. The more we research and study a certain topic can lead us to overthink or look more at what a player can’t do rather than what they can do very well (such as Brady).

Love the theory behind talent identification as there is no exact science but many different approaches.

For you perhaps; in which case, you dun have to read or engage those views. If you're comfortable with where things are at then just desert the thread or the poster; thats what the ignore button's for. :)

I like to read all the posts here, whether I agree with them or not.

And I respect posters that stand their ground and manfully defend their convictions. But on occasion it crosses the line into extreme tedium. Some of the best posters here need to learn how to get the proverbial over it instead of maniacally refusing to abandon their bastion.

You are right, I can always use the ignore button - that's what it's there for. I only just used the ignore button for the first time since joining; for an insufferable Richmond cretin on the main board. No bluebagger deserves to be lumped in what that lot ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is an interesting divide across the List Manager/GM landscape that is becoming more and more prevalent with time: the old guard vs science/analytics.

It’s a classic case of old school operators such as Beatson/Gubby/Brodie who “just know how to judge a player” because they’ve been on the scene forever vs the new analytical list manager who uses stats/science/trending to aid their judgement and solidify their decision making.

Nick Austin is very much the latter (from what I know of during his time with Richmond).

I’d say SOS was somewhere in between.

It’s a big topic in American sports particularly at the moment at the big shifting in methodology when it comes to list management/recruitment.

They always fair badly in the movies....There was this one movie- where the old recruiter finds this player say " Paerick Kipps " and went to all these clubs about him and they all ignored him- except one guy by the name of Blaine Podgers- true story

Last edited:
Tom Brady is an excellent example of how stats and testing may only deserve a limited weighting.

I would suggest Cripps at U18 level would be another example. His testing was horrible but watching his highlight reel he just “had it”. Intangibles such as Game sense, competitiveness, drive and footy smarts are extremely important factors.

Disagree. I have my concerns that he will ever make it.

They always fair badly in the movies....There was this one movie- where the old recruiter finds this player say " Paerick Kipps " and went to all these clubs about him and they all ignored him- except one guy by the name of Blaine Podgers- true story
we gotta get that Blaine Podgers then, and while we're at it, the old recruiter (Print Bleatwoods?), too.

View attachment 813334

This is the title Silvagni held.
It will be interesting to see whether that title applies when Austins name gets dropped in.
If it doesn't then things have changed.

I'm still unsure of the hierarchy here, but feel that Lloyd will now have more of a say in matters. Would this be a good or bad thing?

Don't think there's any doubt that it's changed. This from the Carlton press release on our own site:

1580332969625.png

Don't think there's any doubt that it's changed. This from the Carlton press release on our own site:

View attachment 813340

Which is a different title to that held by Silvagni.
If one has to change the title, then maybe there's a change in the operation of the role.

Never liked two List Managers from day one and still unsure how the mechanics of having two List Managers functions.
May as well call the secondary position List Managers assistant.

If one has to change the title, then maybe there's a change in the operation of the role.

Never liked two List Managers from day one and still unsure how the mechanics of having two List Managers functions.

Yes, exactly. That's what I said. The title has changed, ergo one can assume that the scope of the role has also changed.

List Manager handling TPP, contract negotiations, list profiling and forward planning.
Head of Recruitment handling scouting, draftee assessment and valuation, and "futures" planning (for draftees).
Senior Coach handling the coaching stuff, but also feeding his thoughts on the team's immediate structural needs.

Then the Head of List Management balancing the various wants/needs of these three individuals given they don't always correlate. When Teague wants someone "like Papley" for immediate impact, but Agresta has concerns about salary implications and Brodie feels there's better value in a few potential draftees, Austin presumably considers the implications of various strategies and determines which should be given higher priority.

The part I'm curious about will be whether Austin also handles the player acquisition side of things given his background in opposition analysis or if that lands with Agresta, and who acts as our frontman in negotiations with other clubs.

Last edited:
Tom Brady is an excellent example of how stats and testing may only deserve a limited weighting.

I would suggest Cripps at U18 level would be another example. His testing was horrible but watching his highlight reel he just “had it”. Intangibles such as Game sense, competitiveness, drive and footy smarts are extremely important factors.

I like the Tom Brady reference as it does drive home the point that despite all of the analytics and data involved, drafting is never an exact science.

Without wanting to derail this thread, I've always held the (unpopular) belief that Brady being overlooked had more to do with a perfect storm scenario that played out at the time (largely thanks to Tim Couch and Donovan McNabb the year before). Granted that his scouting reports weren't crash hot.

Yes, exactly. That's what I said. The title has changed, ergo one can assume that the cope of the role has also changed.

List Manager handling TPP, contract negotiations, list profiling and forward planning.
Head of Recruitment handling scouting, draftee assessment and valuation, and "futures" planning (for draftees).
Senior Coach handling the coaching stuff, but also feeding his thoughts on the team's immediate structural needs.

Then the Head of List Management balancing the various wants/needs of these three individuals given they don't always correlate. When Teague wants someone "like Papley" for immediate impact, but Agresta has concerns about salary implications and Brodie feels there's better value in a few potential draftees, Austin presumably considers the implications of various strategies and determines which should be given higher priority.

The part I'm curious about will be whether Austin also handles the player acquisition side of things given his background in opposition analysis or if that lands with Agresta, and who acts as our frontman in negotiations with other clubs.

What I'd like to know...even though we won't know for some time yet...is that when the crunch comes, who's going to pull the trigger?

Who is going to have the final say on recruiting and drafting. Silvagni positioned himself to do so and maybe that played a part in him losing his job?

What I don't want to see though is the executive having the final say because Austin and Agresta are seen to have the training wheels on.....but somehow and without Silvagni here, I can see it being the case.

Harker, you've obviously missed our press-release, and the earlier discussion. Austin has taken the "newly-created role" of Head of List Management. This is clearly a lesser position than what SOS held.

Also mentioned in the AFL article is that Agresta will focus more on player acquisition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back