Past 43. Will Setterfield - Traded to Essendon*

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely there is a rush. We need to start making inroads against the competition. I would be disappointed if he wasnt vying for selection come rd 1
Yes...i think his Acl repair was Feb 2018 .apparently he will gain a proper preseason perhaps with some management particularly early.
Obviously Setterfield has undergone a medical at Carlton...and his knee os ok........
So given his preexisting stats and rank.....he is a goer.
Could /should play round 1 and would easily cement a spot assuming his expected output and whats going on around the midfield at the moment.
As you quoted we desperately require a lift in intensity through midfield with more mature bodies and experience for Cripps/Ed/Murphy to work with and dominate possession through the midfiled going forward.
This year we have lost no good players on our list and gained 3 good trades so far that are not c or b- grade dumps.....
Our list has seen a step up right now and with and intensified and improved output from our draft camp we could see a bit of improvement in 2019

Why lump them together? At any rate, if you want to tie everything together, we have taken a big hit in our chance to draft quality depth if you consider the fact that we also extinguished the equivalent of a PP, which we arguably deserved, and we already traded out our third rounder last year.

Our depth is horrendous and as it stands, if you consider the draft is no deeper than 9 players (maximum) in two years for each club, we've extinguished too many shots out of those 9 chances already in landing just three players, if you take Walsh to Carlton for pick one as a given, as many have. Forget Fasolo for the time being as it's hard to place him at the moment. Are we going to pick up substandard midfielders (being so single minded) with picks in the 70s, who are just destined for the chopping block in two years before they have even fired a shot? A club is more than just its very best players.

Our depth is pretty good actually, they’re just young (and were injured last year). We’ve just added 3 players who will be in our best team next year.

We need quality rather than quantity at this point. We do not want to be doing a Melbourne Kelly for Tyson and Salem. Take Walsh at #1, unless we get a deal that still guarantees Walsh, +extras, or we get massive overs.

Why lump them together? At any rate, if you want to tie everything together, we have taken a big hit in our chance to draft quality depth if you consider the fact that we also extinguished the equivalent of a PP, which we arguably deserved, and we already traded out our third rounder last year.

Our depth is horrendous and as it stands, if you consider the draft is no deeper than 9 players (maximum) in two years for each club, we've extinguished too many shots out of those 9 chances already in landing just three players, if you take Walsh to Carlton for pick one as a given, as many have. Forget Fasolo for the time being as it's hard to place him at the moment. Are we going to pick up substandard midfielders (being so single minded) with picks in the 70s, who are just destined for the chopping block in two years before they have even fired a shot? A club is more than just its very best players.

We already have enough eighteen & nineteen year olds on the list we don’t need depth we need talent which SOS has delivered. The list has to be balanced or it is too difficult to get the cohesion that Juddy was talking about. SOS has a plan for the list and has so for 3 years so maybe let him execute it and judge him on it in a few years.

If he fails you can say I told you so but keep in mind while you sitting around whinging those who choose to be positive are having fun watching the group grow together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes.

Couple of pre-season games and in the team R1.
Seems like self sabotage to me. The guys been more or less on the pine for a year. He needs time to develop confidence in his body and in his game.

We're the only club who rushes in players like this. It's a sign of desperation, and poor injury management.

I'd only play him if he was clearly head and shoulders above other mids competing for the position and it woukd therefore be a travisty not to play him.

Seems like self sabotage to me. The guys been more or less on the pine for a year. He needs time to develop confidence in his body and in his game.

We're the only club who rushes in players like this. It's a sign of desperation, and poor injury management.

I'd only play him if he was clearly head and shoulders above other mids competing for the position and it woukd therefore be a travisty not to play him.

I suspect they will err on the side of caution (with you), but from the perspective of his knee, 12 months on there really shouldn't be any ongoing issues.

If he's healthy enough to be in full contact training for the entirety of January and February, then he's probably healthy enough to feature in the pre-season games. From there, who knows what will happen.

If he doesn't play the pre-season games, then he definitely shouldn't be playing round 1.

If he does play though and is in great shape/touch, do we still give him another 3-5 games in the VFL (a lower standard than pre-season games)?

I suspect they will err on the side of caution (with you), but from the perspective of his knee, 12 months on there really shouldn't be any ongoing issues.

If he's healthy enough to be in full contact training for the entirety of January and February, then he's probably healthy enough to feature in the pre-season games. From there, who knows what will happen.

If he doesn't play the pre-season games, then he definitely shouldn't be playing round 1.

If he does play though and is in great shape/touch, do we still give him another 3-5 games in the VFL (a lower standard than pre-season games)?

AFL...X?

Previously we've had players miss the JLT games but still play round 1 (ie SPS last year).

I wonder if this will change under Russell?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back