Past 43. Will Setterfield - Traded to Essendon*

Remove this Banner Ad

I think your wrong and your under rating him. I been watching football a loooong time I like to think I know a good player when I see it. He is a good versatile footballer. A friend of mine that goes to games with me thought as you do for a time. He has changed his mind because I gave him stick for ages....:D

He’s not versatile at all. Too slow to play in the midfield, not smart or agile enough to play as a forward. He will be be a career back pocket and he’s only passable in this role too.

He’s not versatile at all. Too slow to play in the midfield, not smart or agile enough to play as a forward. He will be be a career back pocket and he’s only passable in this role too.
Versatile because he can play tall or short, close checking or loose, knows when to punch and more. He is sure footed and quick thinking. As for back pockets, well there was Des English, Curly Austin in that vital position just for starters. Nowt wrong with that. Its all a matter of perspective.

Versatile because he can play tall or short, close checking or loose, knows when to punch and more. He is sure footed and quick thinking. As for back pockets, well there was Des English, Curly Austin in that vital position just for starters. Nowt wrong with that. Its all a matter of perspective.
I refer all to his game at Geelong in 2018. Showed how attacking and aggressive he can be..

Last edited:
You are making the common big footy mistake of mixing up your opinions with facts.
If you present this view as your opinion that is perfectly acceptable.
When you try to present it as fact you run the risk of people saying that you are wrong.
By the way, in my opinion you are wrong

Backline will be looking fairly solid if Plowman can only squeeze into a pocket.

They have a good best 18 and their game style when left to be played like they want - can be exhilarating (unless you hate them like we do).

Francis, Hurley, McKenna
McGrath, Hooker, Saad
Heppell, Shiel, Zaharakis
Fantasia, Stringer, Langford
McKernan, Daniher, Tipungwuti
Bellchambers, Merrett, Smith
Parish, Ridley, Gleeson, Laverde

Depth: Baguley, Ambrose, Browne, McNeice, Clarke, Begley, Stewart

I think if they had a better coach they'd be doing much better. Well drilled sides and contested ball winning sides (like us on the odd occasion) can break their whole game down.

If I had to make a best 22 with our side and theirs it would look like:

Francis, Hurley, Marchbank
Docherty, Hooker, Simpson
Heppell, Shiel, Zaharakis
Fantasia, Curnow, Fisher
McGovern, Daniher, Tipungwuti
Kreuzer, Cripps, Merrett
Smith, McGrath, Murphy, Dow

12 v 10 their way, I'd back our youth in though.

Excuse the intrusion but I enjoy these exercises. I'd go

FB: Saad - Hooker - Marchbank
HB: Simpson - Hurley - Docherty
C: Zaharakis - Cripps - Fisher
HF: Smith - Curnow - Tippa
FF: McGovern - Daniher - Fantasia
R: Kreuzer - Merrett - Shiel
IC: Heppell - Murphy - Stringer - McGrath

You are making the common big footy mistake of mixing up your opinions with facts.
If you present this view as your opinion that is perfectly acceptable.
When you try to present it as fact you run the risk of people saying that you are wrong.
By the way, in my opinion you are wrong

The irony is I’m still yet to hear a substantial argument re Plowman and his versatility.

He plays almost exclusively on the oppositions third or fourth best forward, which is often a medium-sized player. He will rarely have to defend a tall forward unless we’re caught on transition and he has to compete haplessly in the air against a much bigger opponent.

At a pinch he can play on a small forward, and at best he breaks-even when he does, and that’s often reliant on us having huge numbers in our defensive 50 to take away space for dangerous crumbers or a resting mid to run into. He plays well in an incredibly defensive structure because that suits his conservative game style to to a tee.

The fact is he’s too slow to play as a mid, and not smart enough to go forward. He thinks his way through a situation reasonably well but he’ll almost exclusively take the safest option. Despite being able to play on smaller players, he doesn’t provide much in the way of meaningful counter-attack. His metres gained stats per possession are very low.

He gets adulated on this board because he’s a trier, and his defensive efforts are sound but he’s a limited player who can’t play outside the defensive 50 and hasn’t got the size or strength to play on big-bodied key position players. Week-to-week his role is far more consistent than others are insinuating, but calling Plowman versatile because he plays on a small forward every now and then is incredibly overzealous and intellectually dishonest. If we had some more pure small defenders we wouldn’t even consider it.

He’s a nice player to have while we’re rebuilding because of the effort he puts in, and because he provides leadership, but he’s reasonably average. We will know we’ve progressed as a team when he’s on the fringe of our best 22.

Last edited:
Excuse the intrusion but I enjoy these exercises. I'd go

FB: Saad - Hooker - Marchbank
HB: Simpson - Hurley - Docherty
C: Zaharakis - Cripps - Fisher
HF: Smith - Curnow - Tippa
FF: McGovern - Daniher - Fantasia
R: Kreuzer - Merrett - Shiel
IC: Heppell - Murphy - Stringer - McGrath
Nice looking side, I've made some improvements below:

FB: Williamson - Williamson- Williamson
HB: Williamson- Armfield- Williamson
C: Williamson- Cripps - Williamson
HF: Williamson- Curnow - Williamson
FF: Williamson- Williamson- Williamson
R: Williamson- Williamson- Williamson
IC: Williamson- Williamson- Williamson- Williamson

Nice looking side, I've made some improvements below:

FB: Williamson - Williamson- Williamson
HB: Williamson- Armfield- Williamson
C: Williamson- Cripps - Williamson
HF: Williamson- Curnow - Williamson
FF: Williamson- Williamson- Williamson
R: Williamson- Williamson- Williamson
IC: Williamson- Williamson- Williamson- Williamson
Cripps and Curnow lucky to get a game there...only because the two other Willamson brothers are injured....:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will turn out to be the trade of the year. Still can't believe we got him. Much better player than Shiel and cost less and still has a decade ahead of him. Clean, tough, great skills. Close to the complete player. Fitness is now the key.

Maybe nitpicking a little here but I think the word "potentially" is missing from your statement, as in, "potentially" a much better player than Shiel.
One is proven and the other has played 2 games, I totally agree that he could be one day, and I have high hopes that he will, but not in the same conversation......yet.

I personally believe we got a gem, let's hope he's another long-term, vital cog to our upcoming dominance of the competition, seriously how nice will it be when the Blues are back.

Maybe nitpicking a little here but I think the word "potentially" is missing from your statement, as in, "potentially" a much better player than Shiel.
One is proven and the other has played 2 games, I totally agree that he could be one day, and I have high hopes that he will, but not in the same conversation......yet.

I personally believe we got a gem, let's hope he's another long-term, vital cog to our upcoming dominance of the competition, seriously how nice will it be when the Blues are back.

that’s why statement started out with “Will turn out”.

The one wearing the Carlton jumper is by far the better player

Totally agree with your post.
Don't think your nitpicking at all.
No need to apologise for presenting a well reasoned objective point of view.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back