Senior Zac Williams

Remove this Banner Ad

He looks to have great goal sense and agility someone mentioned rotating with Martin in the forward line sounds right to me we get spread and pressure in the middle and a much needed small forward for a percentage of the game

Watched the preliminary final v Pies from 2019, his 3rd qtr was nuts. Good game in general but the 3rd qtr was the standout & and coincidently when GWS broke away. He hurt his foot at the start of the 3rd and went off for a while, that's when the Pies got 3 quick goals getting them back into the game.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

His ability to improvise and create a play out of nothing is fantastic. Always knows the 2 or 3 options available to him, and usually picks something off-kilter but really effective.

It’s disarming as an opposition player having a guy running off half back and having no real indication of what they’re going to do until they’re past you.

Creativity under pressure has to be one of the most player underrated traits.

Massive get! Massive massive get!

Followed him closely during my brief stint as a GWS supporter.

In all seriousness, this is one of the best recruiting moves the club has made in a very long time. Genuine star!
Welcome Zac!
Welcome back, I think. Just a hop, skip and a jump to the next welcome mat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no end to how many different ways the media will try to represent our signings in a negative light.
View attachment 1000983

I'm really not very worried about the money side of it. There's multiple dynamics at play here, plenty of them fueled by salty tears.

If you want to see how opposition fans think about Williams, you have to go back to discussion BEFORE it became clear he was likely for Carlton. Everything after that is going to be filled with "gee, they're paying him HOW much, woah, too much, he's unreliable...etc". But check out the thread on the Draft/Free Agency forum prior to any link to Carlton, and every team was wetting their pants to throw north of $700k per year to get Williams to their team. A number of fans said $800k, $850k, $900k and so on. They can see the talent, he's gettable, and what a dynamic, valuable player he would be to add to a list.

The second thing is... nobody actually knows what his contract is. It's highly likely there are performance clauses and triggers in it. Maybe if he plays 22 games, Carlton makes top 4 and he's in the AA squad.... he gets $900k. Anyone here NOT OK with that deal? Of course we'd take that. So we don't really know what the contract is, other than he'll be paid like a star player and we expect him to be a star player.

Naturally there's the "overs" a club pays to win the race for a free agent. There are two currencies and budgets to balance in the AFL these days - salary cap $$$ and draft picks. Adding a prime-age star player without giving up a single draft pick asset is great, and it comes at a salary cap expense/loading. You can't do it year after year because one of your budgets gets out of whack (salary-cap), but given how deep and how long we've gone to the draft, it's high-time we spent some cashola to fast-track things.

Now Carlton is looking more like a viable destination, but we cannot pretend we're in the Geelong or Richmond category. Yay for them that players flock to them and "take less" to get whatever it is one gets for living in Geelong or the instant premiership possibility at the Tigers. We are not in that position, at all, so of course we have to offer other things - like financial security for life - to lure top talent. This may well change over the coming years if we can push right up to the pointy end and perhaps we'll see Free Agents eyeballing the Blues as their easy pass to playing for a contender. Who knows. I hope so. But for now, every media commentators can say "gee, they're spending a lot" but the other view it's decisive, effective and the Blues have got it done.

When players run out on the field, do any of us really think about what they're earning? Do the players? I don't think so. Other than when a player is clearly playing like crap (Mitch McGovern, Coniglio two prime examples) does one start to go "hang on, what are we paying this guy?". You don't look at a player playing his role and playing well a go "sigh, if only we were paying him $400k not $435k". The money matters more to the media and general public than it actually does to the players.

And finally, when Zac Williams is eviscerating some team next year with his ankle-breaking side-steps and scalpel-like disposal, will anyone have any negative things left to say other than.... "yeh... well... he earns a lot of money". He's a jet, he's PERFECT for us, and everyone knows it.

Watched the preliminary final v Pies from 2019, his 3rd qtr was nuts. Good game in general but the 3rd qtr was the standout & and coincidently when GWS broke away. He hurt his foot at the start of the 3rd and went off for a while, that's when the Pies got 3 quick goals getting them back into the game.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Certainly gives our midfield a new dimension we didn't have before...someone with that package of speed, intensity, side-step etc...should help in the defensive pressure area too when we lose a clearance. Martin's actually pretty similar I reckon but didn't get the chance to play mid full time since he was also needed up forward. Getting these 2 for no trade cost in 2 years is amazing.

Also can't wait to see Saad carving his way off half back, passing to Williams carving his way through the middle of the ground, hitting Charlie/McKay lace out on the lead ;)

There's no end to how many different ways the media will try to represent our signings in a negative light.
View attachment 1000983

If you want a good laugh then read this version of the article which appears to have, at my best guess, been translated into another language then back again.

Such fine statements as:

1604295803066.png

And I'm sure this is a word-for-word quote by Zac:
1604295840441.png
And don't forget the paintings...
1604296099145.png
Good read! Did laugh a lot.

If you want a good laugh then read this version of the article which appears to have, at my best guess, been translated into another language then back again.

Such fine statements as:

View attachment 1001350

And I'm sure this is a word-for-word quote by Zac:
View attachment 1001351
Good read! Did laugh a lot.
Zac Williams happy to make benefit glorious nation Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back