Player Watch Aiden Begg

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s 2cm shorter than Marshall at the Saints.
How would begg go against the top rucks? Gawn, Jackson, Darcy, English, Big O? He would look like Caleb Daniel next to them

He gets monstered at VFL lvl spinny.

As gouki88 and The Royal Sampler mentioned before he rucks like Grundy but without getting the ball. And he has 0 forward craft.

It’s KPD or bust IMO for him. Only seen him spend one half in the backline so doesn’t appear the coaches see him there either.

It’s a conundrum because he does have agility for a tall

How would begg go against the top rucks? Gawn, Jackson, Darcy, English, Big O? He would look like Caleb Daniel next to them

As gouki88 and The Royal Sampler mentioned before he rucks like Grundy but without getting the ball. And he has 0 forward craft.

It’s KPD or bust IMO for him. Only seen him spend one half in the backline so doesn’t appear the coaches see him there either.

The bigger issue for a KPP role is that he doesn't have a good aerial game. He's just a very very long shot.

He’d be as uncompetitive/competitive as any 2nd Ruck against those premier Ruckmen.

His ground ball game is excellent and close to Grundy’s- if it wasn’t he’d have no chance pinch hitting in the Ruck, and I dare say he would have been delisted by now. Combined with his intensity it’s the most redeeming part of his game.

Hard to break into a premiership team but Begg was not overawed in the games he did play a couple of seasons back. Stronger now, had more experience and did play a few ripper games in the two's last year. Would not be averse to seeing him get a run, particularity if we drop a couple more games in the next few weeks.

Our msd drafting not looking as good as first glance..

Unfortunately I think Johnston will leave in 2025.
Begg
Carmichael delisted
On the flip side, we have the best MSD selection in the comp in Noble

So if I understand correctly, Begg is a competitive second ruck that cannot play key position.

So we are just burning a list spot? Second rucks are what you recruit from other clubs?

So if I understand correctly, Begg is a competitive second ruck that cannot play key position.

So we are just burning a list spot? Second rucks are what you recruit from other clubs?
I think the hope was he could develop into a Rowan Marshall type*, which has not panned out at all IMO.

*Not that kind of quality, but playing a similar additional midfielder style as an undersized, mobile ruck.

Steene will soon go past him as both a ruckman and as a ruck/forward. Begg’s only chance is as a defender.

Hard to break into a premiership team but Begg was not overawed in the games he did play a couple of seasons back. Stronger now, had more experience and did play a few ripper games in the two's last year. Would not be averse to seeing him get a run, particularity if we drop a couple more games in the next few weeks.

and Played well at VFL Level this year as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back