Player Watch Aiden Begg

Remove this Banner Ad

Never understood why they picked Chugg over Callow. We didn’t need ANOTHER half back flanker. We desperately needed a pack-marking KPF but it seems the recruiting staff are allergic to picking those 🙄
It was bloody-mindedness. The club knew we wanted Callow so named anyone other than him just to piss us off. 'Let's give them yet another half back flanker! That should make them angry!'

Last edited:
Signed a 18 month contract according to this.

I have grave doubts about Rantall. What exactly is he meant to offer us as a player? He is much smaller than I initially thought, slow and looks as if he is midfield or nothing. He has no depth to his kiciking. He certainly cannot play as a forward. In and under mids normally have some size about them. Happy to be proven wrong but feeling very pessimistic. Buck's mentioned him at the presser after the Melbourne game when he had about 4 touches- I don't know why. Plenty of young kids have less possessions but catch your eye. McCrae is a good example. He has been poor since his good debut but I can see potential. The same can be said for Henry despite his terrible performances at senior level.

I have grave doubts about Rantall. What exactly is he meant to offer us as a player? He is much smaller than I initially thought, slow and looks as if he is midfield or nothing. He has no depth to his kiciking. He certainly cannot play as a forward. In and under mids normally have some size about them. Happy to be proven wrong but feeling very pessimistic. Buck's mentioned him at the presser after the Melbourne game when he had about 4 touches- I don't know why. Plenty of young kids have less possessions but catch your eye. McCrae is a good example. He has been poor since his good debut but I can see potential. The same can be said for Henry despite his terrible performances at senior level.
I guess Wright will be making decisions on all of these youngsters come year end…in consultation with xxxxxxx senior coach.

Never understood why they picked Chugg over Callow. We didn’t need ANOTHER half back flanker. We desperately needed a pack-marking KPF but it seems the recruiting staff are allergic to picking those 🙄

Callow was rated that Highly as we took Johnson in MSD and had Begg ahead of him too

It was bloody-mindedness. The club knew we wanted Callow so named anyone other than him just to piss us off. 'Let's give them yet another half back flanker! That should make them angry!'
Hawthorn passed on him three times even though he trained with them. Fourth time lucky for him.

He nentioned him because the kid lacks confidence and it was a public slap on the back.

Domie, I'm sure you're sophisticated enough to realise that a lot of the talking that a coach does in a press conference is directed at his players.... not all of it, but a fair share of it.

and you say that you taught in schools?

See what you’re saying regarding Rantall... but hope he gets another 12 months. Showed a lot in that VFL game vs Werribee

Don’t want to see any of the 1-4 year players booted. We need to cull some of the 8-10 players who are 30+

Names like Greenwood, Mayne, Cox, Thomas (turns 30 this year) before we get rid of kids that have had bugger all VFL football in the last 15 months to develop in

See what you’re saying regarding Rantall... but hope he gets another 12 months. Showed a lot in that VFL game vs Werribee

Don’t want to see any of the 1-4 year players booted. We need to cull some of the 8-10 players who are 30+

Names like Greenwood, Mayne, Cox, Thomas (turns 30 this year) before we get rid of kids that have had bugger all VFL football in the last 15 months to develop in
I would rather Thomas over rantall

Tbh anyone over rantall and ruscoe 🤣

*in an outrageous French accent* “I told them we’ve already got one hehehehe”

Callow was rated that Highly as we took Johnson in MSD and had Begg ahead of him too
I know but the point is that we basically picked Chugg over Callow. Who would you rather have on your list, Chugg or Callow? Given that our second pick in the rookie draft is pretty much a low cost risk, it seemed to me that there was much greater reward for picking an area of need pick like Callow. Everyone seemed desperate for us to get Callow in the MSD when we could easily just picked him up for a second round pick in the rookie draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know but the point is that we basically picked Chugg over Callow. Who would you rather have on your list, Chugg or Callow? Given that our second pick in the rookie draft is pretty much a low cost risk, it seemed to me that there was much greater reward for picking an area of need pick like Callow. Everyone seemed desperate for us to get Callow in the MSD when we could easily just picked him up for a second round pick in the rookie draft.
I think last year there was some knocks on Callow. One trick pony I was told. Every other club passed on him as well even in the rookie draft. Sure it seems he may have improved on his game this year, but last year can't just blame us for not choosing him.

Not sure about Chugg long term but we undoubtedly need a good small to medium shutdown defender to release IQ to a more attacking role understanding that Noble gets exposed one out

Not sure about Chugg long term but we undoubtedly need a good small to medium shutdown defender to release IQ to a more attacking role understanding that Noble gets exposed one out
Apart from IQ and Noble, chugg is our only other player that has pace in the back half.

That’s the thing though, is it an area of need? We traded Cameron as a forward/ruck and we’ve drafted 3 development type KPF’s. How is having a 4th developing KPF an area of need? In a few years time we’ll know the answer to the question of whether we should have taken Callow over McMahon, Begg, and Johnson, but its all just speculation at this stage.

Shown enough to suggest he’s worth persevering with IMHO.

Yeah I think his type was a list need, particularly with Crisp a necessity in the midfield.

Agree. A couple of the kids we drafted last year could slot into the defence (Henry, McInnes) but Chugg is the only genuine small-medium defender we took and we need to be developing depth there. Has good pace and a nice touch of aggression. I’ve liked some elements of his VFL performances YTD.

I think the thing to remember that in the old VFL reserves players would play 50+ games before being considered. Give our kids a chance to develop and grow. Not everyone is a Tim Watson playing at 16 or a Rowell. Henry is definitely one who will improve playing his role in the 2nds, plus no games for most of these guys last year. Poulter played in SA and looks good. Begg basically now has an extended preseason putting him ahead of those drafted in November. He can watch and learn the rest of this season.

Neither sounds like AFL People think have much of a Future at AFL Level

I think the thing to remember that in the old VFL reserves players would play 50+ games before being considered. Give our kids a chance to develop and grow. Not everyone is a Tim Watson playing at 16 or a Rowell. Henry is definitely one who will improve playing his role in the 2nds, plus no games for most of these guys last year. Poulter played in SA and looks good. Begg basically now has an extended preseason putting him ahead of those drafted in November. He can watch and learn the rest of this season.

Still might get a Few Games in this season yet

That’s the thing though, is it an area of need? We traded Cameron as a forward/ruck and we’ve drafted 3 development type KPF’s. How is having a 4th developing KPF an area of need? In a few years time we’ll know the answer to the question of whether we should have taken Callow over McMahon, Begg, and Johnson, but its all just speculation at this stage.

I imagine at Beggs height we view him as a key forward not a ruck. Key forward is definitely a list need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back