Player Watch Bassirou Faye

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really sure how it was a waste of resources considering the scholarship exists for no other purpose?
If you really believed in Faye you would have taken me on in July when in the Faye thread I offered you the wager of one months self imposed ban on Faye ever playing an AFL game.

You should be serving that now, so at least have the decency to stay out of this debate now.

You’re an empty vessel in this argument.

All that is true.
But the point is he was the longest of long shots and a waste of resources.
And history has proven that true - he didn’t get near a list.
Farce.
You remind me of Homer. You were probably one of the posters said the same thing when we first recruited Cox too.
homer simpson GIF

I stand corrected.
He had indeed played a small number of games in the mighty Senegalese domestic basketball league.
🤦🏻‍♂️
I think he came to Aust via Spain - some pretty awesome hoops played there. I don't know how good he was - but the club sold him as a "basketballer".

I think he came to Aust via Spain - some pretty awesome hoops played there. I don't know how good he was - but the club sold him as a "basketballer".
You’re probably right.
They had little else to sell him on.
What were we thinking?

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you really believed in Faye you would have taken me on in July when in the Faye thread I offered you the wager of one months self imposed ban on Faye ever playing an AFL game.

You should be serving that now, so at least have the decency to stay out of this debate now.

This is the most bizarre response possible.

Mollythedolly

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood

The "will he make it" is a totally different discussion to the "waste of resources" discussion. From memory, he was a sort after signing because clubs thought he had potential. We were the club that managed to secure his signature. Signing him to a scholarship cost us absolutely nothing in terms of list or TPP. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

The "will he make it" is a totally different discussion to the "waste of resources" discussion. From memory, he was a sort after signing because clubs thought he had potential. We were the club that managed to secure his signature. Signing him to a scholarship cost us absolutely nothing in terms of list or TPP. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Molly you are of course correct in terms of list cap and TPP.
My point here, which is what I was raising in the Faye thread back then, is that a player like this has other costs involved; scouting, supervision, a wage nonetheless, immigration, legal, physio, more I can’t even imagine.

I choose to believe we’re a responsible club and still would have invested in our obligations to Faye. Rightly so.

But this guy was simply toooo long a shot.
Waste of resources.

Mods, feel free to post all this crap to the Faye thread where it can correctly fall into the abyss.

Mollythedolly

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Molly you are of course correct in terms of list cap and TPP.
My point here, which is what I was raising in the Faye thread back then, is that a player like this has other costs involved; scouting, supervision, a wage nonetheless, immigration, legal, physio, more I can’t even imagine.

I choose to believe we’re a responsible club and still would have invested in our obligations to Faye. Rightly so.

But this guy was simply toooo long a shot.
Waste of resources.

Mods, feel free to post all this crap to the Faye thread where it can correctly fall into the abyss.

Happy to disagree on him being too long a shot. Has similar traits to Cox insomuch as he is tall, quick for his size, very athletic. The on-costs are irrelevant given the club is a NFP organization and as such has to reinvest all profits back into the club, and they’re outside the costs which impact the footy departments as reported to the AFL. We’re a multi-million dollar organization and in that context the pittance invested in Faye is money we’ll spent on the potential he offered. I look forward to all future such scholarship offerings. I doubt we’ll ever agree so I’ll leave it there.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
And Dan wants to raise the age of criminal responsibility. Man am I glad I left Victoria many years ago. Wouldn't go back for quids.
Anything Dan wants to do I am sure that I don't even when I don't know the details. Wish I had done what you've done and I probably would, but unfortunately being an integral part of the longest lockdown in world history robbed me of the ability to project my life beyond a 5km range, so I am stuck here entering the age when you're marked as worthless lamenting that I did not get out earlier. Don't come back, unless for a day or two to watch a footy game, then stick up your middle finger to those of us treading sand and trying to stay afloat as you enter the plane to return home.

Anything Dan wants to do I am sure that I don't even when I don't know the details.
Dan wouldn’t have been registered with an AFL club for three years so presumably we could add him as a Cat B. Not sure why we’d want to though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
All that is true.
But the point is he was the longest of long shots and a waste of resources.
And history has proven that true - he didn’t get near a list.
Farce.

Maybe you should re watch the videos of Mason Cox learning to kick and mark. . This pathway is obviously a long shot but a relatively inexpensive one. There’s a deep pool of talent from non traditional backgrounds, especially African kids, and definitely worth the punt to see if they can develop one from the ground up. As I said we’ve done it once anD got a premiership player out of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back