Player Watch Ben Crocker (Delisted 2019, Pies VFL 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Moore, DeGoey, Phillips and Crocker are all premiership team mates at the Charges and look like the will become the core of our side over the next 10 years
Phillips can't kick well enough. He's not part of the solution IMO.

I think Phillips is a nice kick actually. Was kicking at 100% for most of the day yesterday.

He's got a bit nervous on a few occasions so far which is natural, but I reckon we have a player there. There was one passage of play in the back pocket where he was in immense trouble and had to kick off his right, and he nailed a pass down the line onto a chest of his team-mate.

On Crocker, there is also a lot to like. Takes a good mark and has nice skills. Seems to be composed with the ball as well. Probably lacks a few tricks to become a top line player, but strikes me as the sort of player that can compliment a good forward line and kick a few goals a game.

I agree his kicking and decision making has been a bit iffy at times but 22 disposals at 90% yesterday on the G against the reigning premiers in only his 6th game isn't all bad for pick #58 in the draft. Well worth persisting with.

His played 6 games ffs. I havn't seen to many turnovers from him at all. He is calm with the ball, seems to have time. I like him.

Everyone was saying Degoey could not kick either. The biggest thing kids gain with experience is composure. JDG has shown in the last few weeks that he is a very good kick.

If after 30 to 40 games he is butchering it then you may have an argument.

His played 6 games ffs. I havn't seen to many turnovers from him at all. He is calm with the ball, seems to have time. I like him.
Generally, good footskills don't come with experience. In the context of our list it's a problem. Happy to be proven wrong in time re Phillips because he is otherwise no mug but I could say the same for Williams, Sinclair, Crocker and plenty of others and that fundamentally is the problem with our list. It cost us again on the weekend.

Generally, good footskills don't come with experience. In the context of our list it's a problem. Happy to be proven wrong in time re Phillips because he is otherwise no mug but I could say the same for Williams, Sinclair, Crocker and plenty of others and that fundamentally is the problem with our list. It cost us again on the weekend.

Could of said the same about a bloke called Dane Swan as well but he went ok.

We won a flag and dominated the AFL for 2 years with a side full of average kicks. I agree we need to get better in that but phillips does not look to bad to me. He certainly knows how to get it and does not fumble or panick so their is alot to build on.

Crockers has had a few shockers when kicking but at other times looks and excellent kick. Again I think he needs experience playing under the spotlight.

Hine seems to like raiding the Chargers for premiership teammates doesn't he. As a non TAC cup follower how are they going this year? Any prospects worth a look from there? Is that where Josh Daicos plays?
Haven't seen to much of them, they finished the home and away in 6th the same as last year so who knows

I think we'll find Phillips turns out a very nice kick. Probably not a super kick, but very reliable over 30-40metres and pretty accurate in front of goal.

From what I have seen from him, everything he does is quite neat. The glaring error was the one against the Doggies where he kicked into the man on the mark. That was more an issue of panic than footskills.

From what I've seen, he has some early composure issues, but his footskills are pretty solid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty happy with what Crocker has shown this year. If both Fas and Elliott get back to health, then Crocker would do well enough either as a 3rd small (+/- Blair) or as first guy in from the VFL.

Crocker and Phillips (and Smith and Wills) show why we have to keep Hine.

We've traded away so many first round picks while Hine has been the chief recruiter, yet his record of picking players late in the draft who turn out to play plenty of senior footy is very good.

Phillips and Crocker fill "need" holes too. Phillips is that outside player (can win his own ball too) who can use it well, sort of like an Isaac Smith I reckon. Crocker is the medium forward we need with Elliott and Fasolo's injury concerns.

Both have had better than expected first years I would have thought. Can't wait to see how good they are in 2-3 years time.

Could of said the same about a bloke called Dane Swan as well but he went ok.

We won a flag and dominated the AFL for 2 years with a side full of average kicks. I agree we need to get better in that but phillips does not look to bad to me. He certainly knows how to get it and does not fumble or panick so their is alot to build on.

Crockers has had a few shockers when kicking but at other times looks and excellent kick. Again I think he needs experience playing under the spotlight.
Yep. As I have said often on here, Swan's kicking as not really up to scratch. If anyone kicks like swan but has the rest of his game I'd be happy to carry their kicking deficiency because the package is still very good. As it stand we probably have to wear Adam's suspect footskills for his ball winning and clearance ability. You can carry some when they offer something above the norm elsewhere. You can't carry too many and the ones that don't offer more than the average decent player are the ones that have to make way.

As for the 2010 side, part of the reason we did win it was replacing the likes of O'bree who was a poor kick under pressure and lacked pace and Lockyer who's kicking fell away and also lacked pace post knee injury. The side we started 2010 with lacked pace and footskills and we were a so so side until some of the culprits were moved aside. that said, we were not an overall high level kicking side. We did have the likes of Pendlebury, Davis and Didak though and Thomas was a good field kick if a little suspect on the set shot at times.

I may be wrong on Phillips (I hope so) but early days his kicking has seemed sub par to me.

I think it is too early to tell. Six games is too small a sample. Most players struggle with the pace and intensity of AFL footy so a few changers can be expected. You could also expect fatigue to be a factor for a first year player.

There doesn't appear to be anything intrinsically wrong with his technique so I think he should be given the benefit of the doubt at this stage.

I really like the energy Crocker, Phillips and Wills bring to the side. Can see them becoming mainstays and I don't know what Mark's on about with Phillips. Let the traffic run past him yesterday and made very good decisions, had pace and executed well.

Crocker and Phillips (and Smith and Wills) show why we have to keep Hine.

We've traded away so many first round picks while Hine has been the chief recruiter, yet his record of picking players late in the draft who turn out to play plenty of senior footy is very good.

Phillips and Crocker fill "need" holes too. Phillips is that outside player (can win his own ball too) who can use it well, sort of like an Isaac Smith I reckon. Crocker is the medium forward we need with Elliott and Fasolo's injury concerns.

Both have had better than expected first years I would have thought. Can't wait to see how good they are in 2-3 years time.
Very fair assessment.
Wondering if anyone knows how Sier is going overall as a work in progress. Some injury matters I hear.

Impressed by Crocker as soon as i saw him in his first game. Will be here for 10 years IMO

Might not be the most skilled but he's got that mentality

Surely you jest? He's a beautiful kick, just needs more than a handful of games to develop the poise to show it at senior level.

I think it is too early to tell. Six games is too small a sample. Most players struggle with the pace and intensity of AFL footy so a few changers can be expected. You could also expect fatigue to be a factor for a first year player.

There doesn't appear to be anything intrinsically wrong with his technique so I think he should be given the benefit of the doubt at this stage.
Fair enough. I've just seen a few too many miscues when in motion and poor kicks from stop plays. the former can be partly due to the step up in tempo but the latter is not. More importantly, very good kicks are clear from very early on and that is what we need in the context of our list. More than happy to let a year or two play out as I am for most kids we take on but I'll call it as I see it along the way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back