Remove this Banner Ad

May 7, 2011
Wangaratta
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Celtics, Tottenham, Oakland Raiders
Lever is 194 cm and this bloke is 195 cm
The write ups indicate that agility is an issue and I thought I read pace somewhere was also an issue.
They both have (had) moustaches although I'm not too sure if that's a positive or a negative.
Bound to have some weaknesses as a rookie. Hopefully, being full-time with great coaching helps.
He isn't like-for-like with Howe, but if Howey manages 2 more years, Dean might eventually work well next to the extremely athletic Moore.
(If his moustache looks anything like Lever's, I hope it's just for Movember).

anshell

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
manchester united
Finally a key position player!About time too!The fact that he’s 20 and has been playing in the VFL suggests he’s ready to play in the seniors next year,as opposed to the project players we usually get who take years to develop.

Apr 26, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...ants-academy-prospect-holds-chargers-oakleigh
20. Charlie Dean
Best position:
Key forward
Height, weight: 194cm, 86kg
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Projected draft range: 10-50
Plays like: Ben Brown
Rationale: Promising key position player who has started the season with nine goals from his first two matches.
Strengths: Set shot goalkicking routine, marking on the lead, reading of the ball in flight, skills, comfortable at ground level, mobility, one-on-one defence, intercept marking, versatility to play key forward or key defence
Weaknesses: Contested marking, forward pressure, tackling

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Very happy with this selection, I think Dean will be an excellent pick-up. I hope the optimism about his intercept marking is vindicated. From my limited viewing it seemed an area that needed work. Otherwise his game seems really solid.

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Is there any other teams?
Yes! Very happy with this pick. A tallish defender was definitely a list need and to get one of the better (& more mature ones) from the lower league is worth a shot as a rookie.

My expectations aren’t too high but at least it gives us a little bit more depth down there.

Hoping for Mihocek mark 2.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
A needs pick with no risk, like it. Ready to go too and can play either end. Happy with the selection, gives us versatility.

I only saw Williamstown play one game against Frankston, and can’t say I really noticed Dean. (Which for anyone interested is still available on the VFL app and Kayo and I’m going to watch again paying particular attention to him).

What’s your view of him as an intercept defender?

His highlights packages definitely don’t leave you with the impression that it’s a massive strength. He seems more lockdown and a bit of a scragger (I mean that in the best possible sense).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daicos2Daicos

Cancelled
Oct 4, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some of you need to put aside your hate of the previous administration - there is no trace of it with any discernable effect on club policies anymore.

It's quite hilarious reading the same old tripe rehashed now that the club has already moved away from that direction.
It’s been a complete transformation in a very short space of time.
I suppose get the right people in and get the right people out and good things can happen quickly.

It feels and looks like a new club.

GCPie

Senior List
Oct 14, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good kid, good disposal and does not drop off the player and causes turnovers.
Don't be surprised to see him go forward if Moore and Roughie are fully fit - could be good competition for Kelly as a KPF.
I think he will end up being a steal in the Draft and play 10+ senior games in 2022.

I only saw Williamstown play one game against Frankston, and can’t say I really noticed Dean. (Which for anyone interested is still available on the VFL app and Kayo and I’m going to watch again paying particular attention to him).

What’s your view of him as an intercept defender?

His highlights packages definitely don’t leave you with the impression that it’s a massive strength. He seems more lockdown and a bit of a scragger (I mean that in the best possible sense).
He's someone who is more of a Brody Mihocek type (obviously we know he's up the other end, but Dean has done the reverse). Dean started as a forward at Sandringham (where I saw most of his work) and he was even then in contention to be drafted and was pretty unlucky to miss out. COVID ruined any chance of improvement last year, and even this year he was limited but did enough to show he was able to adapt to the other end.

I don't think he's a highlight-reel player, but we don't need him to be. He's a good honest player who has mostly defensive traits, but can still impact offensively if required. We don't need a running offensive defender as we have the likes of Moore and Howe who can intercept and take off. He will likely play on a third tall type, you know the ones that we usually have to throw Howe or Maynard onto and it can wreck our plans. This way we're not losing anything offensively from it.

He's very good aerially though and proved that as a forward. So he certainly can pull down some good marks, and he's not a liability in other areas. He's just not a flashy player as such, which is why I compare him similarly in many ways (particularly from a work rate perspective) to Mihocek. He used to do a lot of work in the forward half without always getting the reward. In saying that, he booted 17 goals in 10 games in his top-age year for the Dragons.

He's someone who is more of a Brody Mihocek type (obviously we know he's up the other end, but Dean has done the reverse). Dean started as a forward at Sandringham (where I saw most of his work) and he was even then in contention to be drafted and was pretty unlucky to miss out. COVID ruined any chance of improvement last year, and even this year he was limited but did enough to show he was able to adapt to the other end.

I don't think he's a highlight-reel player, but we don't need him to be. He's a good honest player who has mostly defensive traits, but can still impact offensively if required. We don't need a running offensive defender as we have the likes of Moore and Howe who can intercept and take off. He will likely play on a third tall type, you know the ones that we usually have to throw Howe or Maynard onto and it can wreck our plans. This way we're not losing anything offensively from it.

He's very good aerially though and proved that as a forward. So he certainly can pull down some good marks, and he's not a liability in other areas. He's just not a flashy player as such, which is why I compare him similarly in many ways (particularly from a work rate perspective) to Mihocek. He used to do a lot of work in the forward half without always getting the reward. In saying that, he booted 17 goals in 10 games in his top-age year for the Dragons.
Thats fine enough for us. Mihochek-type players are so underrated. The ones that work hard and don't get all the attention like some defenders.

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood

Thanks for the reply.

From the highlights and rewatching this game he reminds me a bit of Oscar McDonald in the way he plays & with his build

That might not sound necessarily like a complement, but if he even carves out that kind of AFL career as rookie pick it would probably be a fair achievement.

Maybe I’m misreading him and hopefully he proves even better than that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back