Player Watch Charlie Dean

Remove this Banner Ad

I only saw Williamstown play one game against Frankston, and can’t say I really noticed Dean. (Which for anyone interested is still available on the VFL app and Kayo and I’m going to watch again paying particular attention to him).

What’s your view of him as an intercept defender?

His highlights packages definitely don’t leave you with the impression that it’s a massive strength. He seems more lockdown and a bit of a scragger (I mean that in the best possible sense).
His under 18 year he was a key forward for Sandy Dragons kicking 4 or 5 a week
So he has a few more strings to his bow than just a scragger

played a lot of defence and on ball in school footy so he is a bit more athletic than a few replays might show

All of them start out decent?
Of course. Maybe an expectation that he will be better than some on that list. We can only hope.

I’ve got a warm feeling.

So far, Kelly is playing up forward. Whether that changes remains to be seen.

I hope Kelly goes back. Him, Dean, Keane and Madgen as depth for defense behind Moore, Rough and Howe.

That leaves Checkers and Cameron as two of our three key forwards with one of Kreuger or Johnson. The one that misses out develops at VFL with Begg and McMahon.

It also provides some flexibility with all of Kelly, Kreuger, Dean and perhaps Begg being able to play at both ends.

We really need 3-4 of them to come good.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's someone who is more of a Brody Mihocek type (obviously we know he's up the other end, but Dean has done the reverse). Dean started as a forward at Sandringham (where I saw most of his work) and he was even then in contention to be drafted and was pretty unlucky to miss out. COVID ruined any chance of improvement last year, and even this year he was limited but did enough to show he was able to adapt to the other end.

I don't think he's a highlight-reel player, but we don't need him to be. He's a good honest player who has mostly defensive traits, but can still impact offensively if required. We don't need a running offensive defender as we have the likes of Moore and Howe who can intercept and take off. He will likely play on a third tall type, you know the ones that we usually have to throw Howe or Maynard onto and it can wreck our plans. This way we're not losing anything offensively from it.

He's very good aerially though and proved that as a forward. So he certainly can pull down some good marks, and he's not a liability in other areas. He's just not a flashy player as such, which is why I compare him similarly in many ways (particularly from a work rate perspective) to Mihocek. He used to do a lot of work in the forward half without always getting the reward. In saying that, he booted 17 goals in 10 games in his top-age year for the Dragons.
Lever isn't a flashy player.

Lever isn't a flashy player.
Yeah that’s a fair comparison too. At the end of the day he’s a rookie pick who has an opportunity. He will get a season to fit into our VFL program, and given he’s more readymade, if heaven forbid a key back goes down, we at least have more readymade cover than an Irishman or basketball convert 😂 but seriously, getting a KPP in was important and he covers both ends so it’s a win-win situation.

I hope Kelly goes back. Him, Dean, Keane and Madgen as depth for defense behind Moore, Rough and Howe.

That leaves Checkers and Cameron as two of our three key forwards with one of Kreuger or Johnson. The one that misses out develops at VFL with Begg and McMahon.

It also provides some flexibility with all of Kelly, Kreuger, Dean and perhaps Begg being able to play at both ends.

We really need 3-4 of them to come good.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Don't forget Coxy as a possible full forward. I know Richmond rated Cox as I heard Reiwoldt say on more than one occasion. McRae has seen him at his best as a tiger man so that gives him a chance to grab a spot.

Don't forget Coxy as a possible full forward. I know Richmond rated Cox as I heard Reiwoldt say on more than one occasion. McRae has seen him at his best as a tiger man so that gives him a chance to grab a spot.
I doubt the Tigers are dwelling on the 2018 prelim.

Moore
Roughead
Madgen
Keane
Kelly
Wilson

It’s not as if we’ve been short of tall defenders?
Please.

Moore was a father son, Roughead was recruited as Buckley's favourite type, hybrid ruckman/forward in the Leigh Brown mould, and was put back because of a great need. The other ones you mentioned are hardly great players, although the jury is out on Keane and Kelly.

I'm talking about a purpose built recruited tall.

P.S. Please don't mention Madgen and Wilson as tall defenders.

Looks like Charlie Dean isn't related to Peter Dean. I think the surname and hearing Carlton had interest in him made me think that.

Who said they were? Clearly coaches recall how individuals perform against their team. Do you disagree?
If only he could do that more than three times in five years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back