Player Watch Cooper Murley (Delisted 2023)

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Is it fair to say that Murley has taken the position we previously thought had been reserved for Dib?
I think that Collingwood would have made a list of ~80 draft prospects that they felt were draftable, and Murley would have been inside the top 50 (probably closer to the 30-40 range given where we took him and how much team's preferences differ) while Dib wasn't on the list.

Dib didn't get drafted at all, even as a rookie, so it's not like we were alone on that. He's the type that will have to show a full season of quality production before he'll be truly considered - If he kicks 50 goals in the VFL next year, he'll be considered a prospect, but right now he hasn't done enough to be wanted by AFL teams.

Yeah but I mean end up that level of player, good solid role player with speed but has his weaknesses.

Fair enough. Sinclair definitely had the talent to be an automatic best-22 player, and if we get that in Murley with a pick around 50, it’s a significant win.

I think the concern for me on Cooper is that whenever an important moment in time is about to happen during his career, he'll be off at the pisser taking a break. :) He has form gentlemen. ;)

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think that Collingwood would have made a list of ~80 draft prospects that they felt were draftable, and Murley would have been inside the top 50 (probably closer to the 30-40 range given where we took him and how much team's preferences differ) while Dib wasn't on the list.

Dib didn't get drafted at all, even as a rookie, so it's not like we were alone on that. He's the type that will have to show a full season of quality production before he'll be truly considered - If he kicks 50 goals in the VFL next year, he'll be considered a prospect, but right now he hasn't done enough to be wanted by AFL teams.

I wasn’t for a minute suggesting the club had made a mistake.... more observation that we had a player in our sights on our academy list with a list spot at least pencilled in for him albeit not promised.

And over the course of the year the club gradually changed their minds on Dib and hit the draft instead.

Last edited:
I wasn’t for a minute suggesting the club had made a mistake.... more observation that we had a player in our sights on our academy list with a list spot at least pencilled in for him albeit not promised.

And over the course of the year the club gradually changed their minds on Dib and hit the draft instead.
What makes you think the club changed their mind?

Issues with Ben Sinclair’s kicking were grossly exaggerated off the back of a couple of missed shots on goal early in his career.
Agree. Ben Reid was the same early in his career- Reid was considered a dud kick due to a stuttery run up and a couple of missed goals.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

How could you think we had a list spot pencilled in for him? We gave him some chances to train and play with our VFL team, clearly the club wasnt impressed and passed.

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
How could you think we had a list spot pencilled in for him? We gave him some chances to train and play with our VFL team, clearly the club wasnt impressed and passed.
Yeah I for one am glad the club didn't feel obligated to take him. Obviously he had every opportunity and the improvement just wasn't there.

I think the concern for me on Cooper is that whenever an important moment in time is about to happen during his career, he'll be off at the pisser taking a break. :) He has form gentlemen. ;)

It's a valid concern, but we'll get in some bladder consultants to work on his timing. They must really rate him though, as bladder consultants tend to blow out the soft cap.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
With all this name based punnery, here's a Murlier photo of Cooper from Ben Hobbs' Instagram profile.

3rd from right in the front row.

Beside him are 2 high prospects for 2022 in Jed Hagan and Will Ashcroft.

1638363450729.png

A bit of a Hayden Ballantyne about him.
I’d be happy if he’s half as good.

Had a Bit of a Break Out Game in the VFL this Afternoon.

Had about 25 Touches and showed great Speed and Good Disposal on HBF/Wing

Still fair bit away from AFL Game but Very Promising

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
My favourite passage of play was when Murley burnt his opponent on the wing to reach a ground ball first. Picked it up shin height at full speed. Delivered a flat kick to a lead at half forward.

There was another on half forward where he won the ball, created space with a quick step of accelaration, then threw in a side step at pace to create more room. I cant recall if he hit his target or kicked a goal?

Anyway there are guys that are quick but cant use their pace to effect. Murley does.

Back