Player Watch Edward Allan

Remove this Banner Ad

If he did develop late (20cm in the past six months or so) then he his body will take time to fill out. I'm sure that Wade will have him bulky up soon enough.

If he did develop late (20cm in the past six months or so) then he his body will take time to fill out. I'm sure that Wade will have him bulky up soon enough.
20cm in the last 24 months brother. Still sounding astounding if true

lcvnqlwrejfk.jpg

What does the move to Melbourne look like?​

"I'm going to be living with Billy Frampton, we're both from Freo but I didn't know him (until now). My brother lives over here and so does my aunty and uncle and cousins. I've got a partner back in WA but she'll probably move over later."

What excites you the most about playing for Collingwood?​

"Running out at the MCG in front of big crowds."

No aspersions cast here, but have a look at the legs on the bloke! Standing next to Richards and Ryan, Allen has the skinniest thighs in the world, unbelievable for a big boy with that frame. He has skinnier legs than a small framed 176cm Richards!

Hopefully he is a very late bloomer and he starts to pack on some muscle on that frame if he is to turn into a big bodied midfielder.

If you look at the players people are projecting his cieling for, they all have big powerful legs and strong through the hips so they can run through tackles and break tags (Cripps, Bont, Judd, even degoey etc.)

Being quick off the mark doesn't mean as much in an AFL midfield when you are being held and blocked at the contest. You need to have the power to go with it to overwhelm your opponent and leave them behind.

If he adds kgs to his frame but in proportion to his current build, he will project more as a winger/outside midfielder, power through the legs and lower body is not as important for outside midfielders.
I noticed the same about his legs, however they are well muscled for their size and he was able to put out one of the fastest 20m times on record. His arms are very skinny as well but he has broad shoulders. I think he looks a lot like his uncle Peter Mann. He was quite the lean athletic looking player in his day.
I also feel that out of the 3 draft picks he will take the longest to develop. So I wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt get a AFL game next year unless our team falls in a heap.

On Allan - looks okay from the highlights, but looks better when viewed in relation to the testing (in particular height and speed). Which is a worry, because it suggests that he doesn't really use either.

I'd love to see him develop to make use of his speed, and he looks like he might do well to sharpen his kicking up a little bit (from the highlights obvioulsy). Not dissimilar to Reef to be honest
Better to draft someone who has speed and doesn’t use it than draft someone who is average paced.

You can’t make a player much faster than they are on draft night, but you can teach them to better use the physical attributes they are born with.

I am sure we all hope he can do that.

Is it possible we drafted the key forward everyone was after and we just don't know it yet?

I know he's not projecting as one at this stage and probably never will but given the late and large growth spurt do we truly even know what he might be capable of once he stops growing and fills out? Does he?

Edward Allan 194cm 83kg

Matthew Jefferson 195cm 84kg
I doubt it, Key forwards have a distinct skill set and intuition. It’s not just height that determines your position on the ground!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saved that for our second pick....
Why lie for? We don’t ALWAYS just recruit the obligatory 188cm rangy left-footed flanker from South Australia.

Jakob Ryan is a 188cm rangy right-footed flanker from South Australia. ;)

Tbf, not many only ran a straight line yet could’ve made a career out of it. Shame injury took it away. He looked bloody good in those 2 2007 Sydney games in a row.
He was fast on the lead. It was an either or question. They were both players who would have been stars had they not so readily succumbed to injury.

Caught up with someone at an Athletics carnival this weekend who has a son the same age as this years draftees.

Reckons Wardlaw and Sheezel (however you spell it) are two absolute stars. His son was a defensive mid and played on Wardlaw or Sheezel (cant remember which one to be honest) who were the attacking players as his son with athletics background had the aerobic capacity to keep up.

Sheezel he predicts will a Stephenson like first season but 20% better. Wardlaw is apparently recovering from an injury so may take a little bit longer.

He knows I am a Pies fan so without asking brought up Ed Allan. Reckons he could tell at some carnival he went to in 2019 that Allan (he was 15 at that stage) would be a star. Reminds him of Cripps. Allan needs to build up his tank but reckons we have a beauty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back