Player Watch Flynn Appleby (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

20m sprint time (in post 3) of 3.06 suggests he's not that quick. Might be his agility and reading of play (going off comments this thread) that make him appear quicker than his pure leg speed
There's a lot more to speed than just 20m in a straight line. He's not super quick, which is why I said "quite" quick because he's still above average, without being elite. It's his agility and endurance that has him right up there athletically.

Also worth noting the reason we are taking him as a rookie (rather than ND) is to assess him over a year rather than two. We're not locked in, nothing to lose. It's perfect for an athlete who is good one-on-one to see what he can achieve.

I'm more thrilled because he's genuinely a great bloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also worth noting the reason we are taking him as a rookie (rather than ND) is to assess him over a year rather than two. We're not locked in, nothing to lose. It's perfect for an athlete who is good one-on-one to see what he can achieve.

I'm more thrilled because he's genuinely a great bloke

Collingwood love there High Characters Prospects

I like this pick, Kirby hardly had an inch of space all day when we smashed NB at Vic Park. Assumedly Appleby was on him for most of the day; he might be the close checking small defender we need.

Some of my comments on Kirby from that game:

... pies clear the centre, Kirby! Marks this time within range, hits the post

Pies win the centre clearance, Kirby loose ball evades one tackler, not the second, ball. NB not allowing him an inch of space

Mostly inside 50, his opponent and NB are doing a terrific job rarely giving any space, crowding him both on the lead and at ground level. He's been caught holding the footy 3-4 times when I another day he may have got away for a shot on goal.

NB struggle to clear, Kelly from 50 hits the behind post. Ootf, turnover Kirby! GOAL!

End to end, Kirby spills the mark in the goal square, ball falls into the post.

Pies transition from defence, half forward flank Kirby handballs, smothered goes again handballs to Keeffe ...

Footage made me think that we are trying to make up for the error in not selecting Jake Kelly.
What error? he's done nothing before this year and at his best is averaging 14 disposals, we have a slew of defenders smashing that already

He's not quick, he's not tall and he doesn't get enough of the ball, we already have our fill of those types

Remove this Banner Ad

Back