Player Watch Flynn Appleby (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't complain. Sure he is a bit raw and has some flaws but that is why he is a rookie, we will attempt to develop him.

We have been crying out for a lock down defender who can take the small forwards or the leading mid sized types and this kid fits the bill. A good pick now it is up to him to work on his flaws and become an AFL player. Good luck to him.
Good call Linda Lovelace :thumbsu:

I don't know what has changed, but I like it so far. We lacked speed and x factor so we went and got Stephenson, needed run and carry, got Murphy.

Then in the rookie draft we get a tall defender out to prove himself, mature and ready to go and a guy who can lock down on forwards.

It sure beats some of the odd decisions over the last few years. Now we just need to land Lynch and Sloan, or is that being greedy??? ;)

I don't know what has changed, but I like it so far. We lacked speed and x factor so we went and got Stephenson, needed run and carry, got Murphy.

Then in the rookie draft we get a tall defender out to prove himself, mature and ready to go and a guy who can lock down on forwards.

It sure beats some of the odd decisions over the last few years. Now we just need to land Lynch and Sloan, or is that being greedy??? ;)
Thanks for the reply but I was hoping for a response from Linda Lovelace .

Actually very happy myself with this years kids. Yep there's always the caveat of a KPF but no point bitching about one if there wasn't one available.:thumbsu:

Sounds like a Dean Rampe type pick up.
We could only hope. Its actually good to see we targeted a lock down defender. The entire defence cannot always attack they actually need to defend first in order to attack or allow others around them to attack. Every good team has a shutdown defender

Our needs actually did outweigh our haves so it could only be and up and up tale

Ramsay has talent - I would've persisted, but he does get beat a lot one-on-one in marking contests.

Hopefully Ramma goes away and plays in a state league, refinds some form and confidence and forces his way back onto an AFL list. Always thought he showed potential before the knee injury.

Welcome aboard young Flynn, may you forge a name for yourself as a lock down defender opposition forwards fear.

Last edited:
Or maybe he just can't get the frickin ball, anyway he's not a need... speed, outside run, transition or a key position and he aint any of those
He's a solid AFL player - more of a need than a non-competitive kpp like Gault, who we chose to re-rookie over him. It was a mistake - I'd be very surprised if Hine didn't agree that it was a mistake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a solid AFL player - more of a need than a non-competitive kpp like Gault, who we chose to re-rookie over him. It was a mistake - I'd be very surprised if Hine didn't agree that it was a mistake.
Not fast, not tall, doesn't get enough of the ball... and considering our current KP stocks the only mistake made was picking a 'dud' key position, Jake was never going to solve that problem and we've got better of his type anyway

Not fast, not tall, doesn't get enough of the ball... and considering our current KP stocks the only mistake made was picking a 'dud' key position, Jake was never going to solve that problem and we got better of his type anyway
Not fast, not tall, doesn't get enough of the ball... and considering our current KP stocks the only mistake made was picking a 'dud' key position, Jake was never going to solve that problem and we've got better of his type anyway

Anyway. Applebys highlights remind me of Kelly. Write ups make him sound like Kelly. I hope he becomes a solid senior player - like Kelly.

Anyway. Applebys highlights remind me of Kelly. Write ups make him sound like Kelly. I hope he becomes a solid senior player - like Kelly.
With speed and more possessions hopefully - unlike Kelly

I'm sorry but a one paced, mid sized, low possession defender changes squat when we've already got guys averaging more than his 14 disposals and 2 tackles a game

Last edited:
Ramsay has talent - I would've persisted, but he does get beat a lot one-on-one in marking contests.

Reminds me of Josh Fraser in that once the knee injury came he was never the same post it.

Up until the knee, he was seriously looking like our answer for the small defender problem.

Collingwood love there High Characters Prospects

They really don’t. They love their good footballers and the positive character traits are a bonus!

Appleby has me feeling a lot more comfortable with our defensive depth chart. The prospect of having Crisp, Varcoe, Murray and Smith as first choice small defenders was a touch concerning. Even though I have no expectations on Appleby making a difference in 2018 he at least provides another option if Varcoe has further injuries, Crisp doesn’t back it up, Smith does back it up and Murray doesn’t match the hype!

#value

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back