List Mgmt. Welcome to Collingwood Geoff Walsh

Oct 14, 2015
Free State NSW
AFL Club
Collingwood
Stay strong Scodog10

upload_2016-12-7_7-26-50.png

Lol Melbourne have been full of high draft picks for the last 15 years and been an absolute laughing stock the entire time.

Roos comes and they finally look competitive, but nope it's because of the draft picks o_O

Trengove Scully Toumpas Gysberts Cook having such huge impacts

There lies the problem at Melbourne even more than coaching. Their list management & drafting was about as bad as it gets. Then they stole one of our recruiters & put him in charge. Result is not screwing up every draft pick they get their hands on. Not keen on Roos either to be honest. I thing there are better prospective coaches around like Dew & Ratten for instance.

Last edited:
Malthouse 2000-2002 > Roos 2014-2016 every single day of the week; I agree. However 2000 Malthouse isn't exactly on the market, and I don't reckon there are many, if any, better coaches on the market in 2016. Should Buckley be sacked, I hope the club play it a bit safer and pluck and experienced man, maybe with a premiership victory, and Roos really does fit the bill. He plays attractive football, and he's a proven mentor, which would be of benefit to such a young team that is Collingwood.

Whoever the club chooses has my full support to begin regardless however.
Roos would be a good option as coach if he wanted to commit long term, which he didn't want to do at Melbourne and I can't see why he'd change that with us. Clarkson (2019) Beveridge (2020), Longmire (2020) and Richardson (2018) are all contracted, so there's not many experienced options should Buckley fail this year. Thompson could be worth considering, but there's concerns there.

Roos would be a good director of coaching or senior assistant coach even in the short term and I'd prefer to see McRae/Tapping/another experienced assistant get the main gig with Roos or someone similar in the background rather than a head coach who's not there for the long haul.

Oct 28, 2006
MT OLYMPUS
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Olympiakos, McLaren
I could not give a Stuff how the Team Plays as long as it wins Games,

I could say you Overrate MM and Underrate Roo's.

MM been the best coach at the Club for a Long Time as he was Coach for a LongTime:rolleyes::straining:

You could say I that I overrate him. Guys has 3 premierships. Took his teams to probably 10 grand finals, played finals in most of his seasons coached, coached 750 odd games, got the best out of players many couldn't have and won a flag a revelry as 2010.

Roos simply doesn't compare. Roos might be likable on the outside but his record is no where near MM. I don't overrate him. His achievements in the game Do his bidding.

Yes, by the end he was washed up but he was great for our club. From the bottom up.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders

Have you ever watched an edge of your seat thriller movie and thought 'nah * this that's one plot twist too many'? Appointing Roos would be that move.

With Carlton appointing Bolton last year Collingwood is now the only remaining dinosaur administration that has never conducted an interview process for their senior coaching role! Think on that for a second Carlton are now innovating more than us.

Losing Buckley (when that day comes) will be an opportunity to start afresh for an organisation that's getting stale. Replacing him with the right man for the role is a million times more preferrable than hand picking the CEO's best mate...

Schraderbrau

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just see what he did with Melbourne in 3 Seasons. There where a Joke and got them to be Cusp of Making Finals
+1. I think people are underrating how screwed Melbourne were. Just have a look at how Brisbane are going to see how hard it is to change a culture. Also, it's not just that Melbourne are looking at making the 8. They currently have a list that can consistently compete for top 4 in a year or two. Roos did a pretty good job imo in spite of the poor end of the year.

Oct 14, 2015
Free State NSW
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have you ever watched an edge of your seat thriller movie and thought 'nah **** this that's one plot twist too many'? Appointing Roos would be that move...

Don't think Roos will coach again. Think he will choose between being a GM of Football or media / corporate speaking.

Agree, when we need to recruit a coach again, it needs an evidence-based approach, not 'lock-it-in Eddie'.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Don't think Roos will coach again. Think he will choose between being a GM of Football or media / corporate speaking.

Agree, when we need to recruit a coach again, it needs an evidence-based approach, not 'lock-it-in Eddie'.

As someone outside the bubble it appears the GM of football role would suit him nicely.

That's also a better way of putting it than mine. Maybe our motto for when it becomes a reality needs to be "say no to a captains pick coach"?..

Oct 28, 2006
MT OLYMPUS
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Olympiakos, McLaren
Lol Melbourne have been full of high draft picks for the last 15 years and been an absolute laughing stock the entire time.

Roos comes and they finally look competitive, but nope it's because of the draft picks o_O

Trengove Scully Toumpas Gysberts Cook having such huge impacts

Sure, Roos may of helped steer a completely to rudderless ship. But what has he achieved for his circa 5million doallar salary? 3 years of not much.

I understand he's put in place measures to help move the club forward, but as coach that's as highly regarded as he is, you'd think he'd have had them in the finals. Any list list containing gawn, hogan, jones, Vince, and a a raft of top 10 young elite talent would be expected to do reaonably well.

I'd like to see what Luke beverfidge would have a achieve with same list at his disposal.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
As someone outside the bubble it appears the GM of football role would suit him nicely.

That's also a better way of putting it than mine. Maybe our motto for when it becomes a reality needs to be "say no to a captains pick coach"?..
lose points for using expression "captains pick"
That must be the worst or close to the worst political expression ever.
Thanks Ms Gillard and then mr Abbott for continuing its use....

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have you ever watched an edge of your seat thriller movie and thought 'nah **** this that's one plot twist too many'? Appointing Roos would be that move.

With Carlton appointing Bolton last year Collingwood is now the only remaining dinosaur administration that has never conducted an interview process for their senior coaching role! Think on that for a second Carlton are now innovating more than us.

Losing Buckley (when that day comes) will be an opportunity to start afresh for an organisation that's getting stale. Replacing him with the right man for the role is a million times more preferrable than hand picking the CEO's best mate...

My only quibble with your post is the use of the word "innovation" to describe basic best practice for a professional organisation. It's like saying I'm innovating by wearing safety glasses in my laboratory or that someone is innovative by having a quality system.

A better description would be to say that now Carlton are more professional than us, and ponder on what that means.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
My only quibble with your post is the use of the word "innovation" to describe basic best practice for a professional organisation. It's like saying I'm innovating by wearing safety glasses in my laboratory or that someone is innovative by having a quality system.

A better description would be to say that now Carlton are more professional than us, and ponder on what that means.

Thank you kind sir that is definitely a better term for the current state of play!

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
lose points for using expression "captains pick"
That must be the worst or close to the worst political expression ever.
Thanks Ms Gillard and then mr Abbott for continuing its use....

Then its settled the club stops making them and the term dies? Everyone's happy!

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
When you look at the "Supposed great coaches" (Norm & Len Smith, Barassi, Kennedy, Jeans, Hafey, Parkin, Sheedy, Matthews, Malthouse, Clarkson, Thompson, Beveridge)
Lots of those guys weren't champion players. Lot's were the ones you'd term "smart footballers" when they played because they knew all the tricks, all the right levers to pull to under another player's guard.
Maybe its the streetwise, coupled with the communication skills that get players working to their well organised plans? So with that in mind...who's streetwise of the current crop of newby coaches?

I don't subscribe to the Ross Lyon's a great coach (any more than Bobby Rose was one). Both can get great sides to finals but they don't ever seem to pull the right string at the right time (or is it just terrible luck?)

When Bucks is replaced (and it will be WHEN because the media and everybody else seems to want that to happen) then I want to punt for a streetwise, smart player (maybe a Sam Mitchell type/ or a Dale Tapping) because they understand the hard parts of our game. Perhaps the days of the champion player that becomes a successful coach are over finally?

One thing though....you can never judge the quality of a leader when everything is going well. A truly great coach will make ordinary players believe they are better than they really are...and belief is 95% of this game.

Can you name the last Collingwood coach appointed as a result of an interview process?

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back