Player Watch Isaac Quaynor

Remove this Banner Ad

To be AFL standard you have to have a point of difference and so far Appleby doesn’t have one at AFL level.

Has attack at the contest by showing he isnt afraid to put his body on the line. Doesn't lack toe, generally good at one on one.

He stunk it up in the pre season last year ,, but was miles better in the proper season.

Had a good debut season for a rookie listed player.

I swear you don't even watch Collingwood games, just make stupid outlandish comments on these boards when you feel like it

Has attack at the contest by showing he isnt afraid to put his body on the line. Doesn't lack toe, generally good at one on one.
Those aren’t points of difference

He stunk it up in the pre season last year ,, but was miles better in the proper season.

Had a good debut season for a rookie listed player.

I swear you don't even watch Collingwood games, just make stupid outlandish comments on these boards when you feel like it
I disagree with Mike about Appleby too, but that last line was unneccessary.

Which small forwards got a hold of us this year?

Ballantyne
Breust
Coniglio
Caddy
Butler
Zorko
Taylor
Newnes
W Rioli

Just took the time to go through every H&A match and the above is the list of "small" players that kicked 3 goals or more against us.

Yes, physically he looks ready, but the main difference is we are at this moment better positioned in the back line, and as such the club can take there time with him and bring him along more slowly.
Prepare him for the riggers of afl. I believe he will get games, as he is a good player, but hoping it’s on form, not because he looks ready
Stephenson playing as a mainly forward pocket, and with his pace got away with it, and who else did we have who was just as good not injured.

Who are these riggers of AFL Quaynor has to be prepared for? Have the AFL integrity commission been alerted? Won't somebody please think of the children!

1348_500.jpg

Ballantyne
Breust
Coniglio
Caddy
Butler
Zorko
Taylor
Newnes
W Rioli

Just took the time to go through every H&A match and the above is the list of "small" players that kicked 3 goals or more against us.

The lower end smalls generally. Suggests we need better depth in our small defenders. I reckon both Appleby and Quaynor have a big selection battle on their hands this year.

The lower end smalls generally. Suggests we need better depth in our small defenders. I reckon both Appleby and Quaynor have a big selection battle on their hands this year.

Given they can both play taller than their hiehgt suggests, I don't see why we can't play both?

I really like the versatility of:

Appleby Moore Maynard
Quaynor Goldsack Howe

That - at least to me, looks like a really dynamic attacking defensive unit with a pretty good spread of defenders. With an ability to cover forward lines of all sizes.

Given they can both play taller than their hiehgt suggests, I don't see why we can't play both?

I really like the versatility of:

Appleby Moore Maynard
Quaynor Goldsack Howe

That - at least to me, looks like a really dynamic attacking defensive unit with a pretty good spread of defenders. With an ability to cover forward lines of all sizes.
Because Langdon and Crisp are automatic selections.

Ballantyne - only game for the year where he got more than 2
Breust - flogging that it was we were lucky to restrict him to 4, best small forward in the league in 2018.
Coniglio - midfielder
Caddy - seriously.... small forward? Even if you do classify him under that category, it was 1 game in 3 where he kicked 4 goals, managed 5 across all 3.
Butler - only game against us
Zorko - midfielder
Taylor - playing more wing these days
Newnes - predominantly a midfielder, Lonie and Gresham their small forwards
W Rioli - 1 game in 3

Yeah, I was more thinking the Gray, Betts, Cameron elite types who generally tear us apart. Breust really the only one from that top echelon.

Not sure Caddy fits the bill as a typical small forward either, even if he is only 1.86m. He's more in that JDG mould who play a lot taller.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my defensive scenario, Crisp would be on the wing. Langdon would be straight up gone.

When I read Mike's post about Langdon and Crisp being automatic selections, I knew that a poster would bizarrely suggest picking Appleby and Quaynor ahead of Langdon. Congratulations on being that poster.

When I read Mike's post about Langdon and Crisp being automatic selections, I knew that a poster would bizarrely suggest picking Appleby and Quaynor ahead of Langdon. Congratulations on being that poster.

Thanks, it's an honour.

I'm nothing if not consistent.

With a lot of players there is a general consensus, but when it comes to views about Langdon, the only consistent view is that his hair looks ridiculous.
The man bun needs to be restricted to only those who can pull it off....Grundy is one, Langdon is not

I’m surprised I wasn’t that poster.

In my defensive scenario, Crisp would be on the wing. Langdon would be straight up gone.
I doubt Crisp gets a game on the wing considering our midfield but that’s somewhat plausible. Langdon however isn’t getting pushed out by either Appleby or Quaynor. Hed be in the back 6 and push one of those two on the bench.

Maynard Dunn Crisp
Langdon Moore Howe

is probably the best defensive lineup... and with exception of Dunn...that is a young enough line up to hold a grip on the back 6 for a few years to come.

With Goldsack, Scharenberg, Appleby, Quaynor, Magden and in late 2019 Kelly as next cab off the rank. I think the rise of Quaynor and Kelly will probably cover Goldsacks retirement and Magdens delisting at the end of 2019. Appleby more likely to survive long term than Magden in my opinion.

Two seasons ago we hardly won a game in the first half of the season when Buckley made the inspired move of moving Crisp onto the half back line. We hardly lost a game since culminating in our premiership tilt on this year's grand final. Langdon is our first or second picked medium/tall defender.

And you want neither in our backline?