Player Watch Isaac Quaynor

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you guys think he will play round 1?

IMO, anyone suggesting he’s borderline now is getting swept up by the possibility of an early debut because the defensive group from the GF has the inside running. Over the final six weeks they were extremely miserly conceding under 70ppg.

We then have Moore as a definite inclusion, pending fitness, and Dunn as a possible. That leaves him fighting it out with Appleby for 9th or 10th in the defensive pecking order so at this stage it looks unlikely.

On the flip side things can change quickly. Let’s say Crisp faces a setback from whatever has held him back this pre-season, Aish moves up the field and Quaynor shines through the pre-season then he’s very much in the frame. Although it’s an outcome that would concern me given our start to the season.

IMO, anyone suggesting he’s borderline now is getting swept up by the possibility of an early debut because the defensive group from the GF has the inside running. Over the final six weeks they were extremely miserly conceding under 70ppg.

We then have Moore as a definite inclusion, pending fitness, and Dunn as a possible. That leaves him fighting it out with Appleby for 9th or 10th in the defensive pecking order so at this stage it looks unlikely.

On the flip side things can change quickly. Let’s say Crisp faces a setback from whatever has held him back this pre-season, Aish moves up the field and Quaynor shines through the pre-season then he’s very much in the frame. Although it’s an outcome that would concern me given our start to the season.

IQ Could of got a Game late in the Season maybe even Finals with how bad the Backline was

Ok, thanks for the info guys

IQ Could of got a Game late in the Season maybe even Finals with how bad the Backline was
To be clear I think you’re saying how many injuries the back line copped in 2018?

Scharenberg, Dunn, Goldsack (then came back, but was he somewhat underdone), Moore, Murray (got the sniffles), Reid (back but under done), Appelby.

They did soldier on overall.
I’ve convinced Dunn plays healthy we win. That simple.
Scharenberg and his poise was a big loss too. But Dunn would have dealt with their guerillas.

To be clear I think you’re saying how many injuries the back line copped in 2018?

Scharenberg, Dunn, Goldsack (then came back, but was he somewhat underdone), Moore, Murray (got the sniffles), Reid (back but under done), Appelby.

They did soldier on overall.
I’ve convinced Dunn plays healthy we win. That simple.
Scharenberg and his poise was a big loss too. But Dunn would have dealt with their guerillas.
Are we playing some rebellious teams?
PS You forgot Howe with his very very bad corkie and also his ankle from the Richmond PF

That’s a joke, yes? Our defensive group in the final 8 games of 2018 conceded just 69.8ppg and was terrific overall. There is absolutely no way a top age U18 kid that was “ok” in that year would have been able to break into that team.

Let’s be frank here IQ didn’t have a strong U18 year and whilst I have no doubt he’ll go alright with time he is no Jayden Stephenson or Dale Thomas level talent.

That’s a joke, yes? Our defensive group in the final 8 games of 2018 conceded just 69.8ppg and was terrific overall.
I think TD was trying to talk about personell rather than their performance.
With Oxley, Murphy, Madgen and an underdone Aish getting games in the last weeks of the season I don't think it would be inconceivable that IQ could have been in the mix. Even if in depth rankings the only defender he would have been in front of would have been Tyler Brown.

The post you quoted literally just said our backline conceded less than 70 points per game over the final six weeks. Can you please explain to me why that was bad? Or do you think our back line was bad because it didn’t contain certain names who you think are good footballers?

With Oxley, Murphy, Madgen and an underdone Aish getting games in the last weeks of the season I don't think it would be inconceivable that IQ could have been in the mix. Even if in depth rankings the only defender he would have been in front of would have been Tyler Brown.

I think you’re right on many fronts although I can’t agree that he’d have been in the mix. I just think it was an oversimplification of the nature of our “injuries” given how well the group performed. IQ’s a fair way back currently, but things can change.

Poor TD.
I think he was simply saying the back players group had lots of injuries.

Last man standing stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes the backline were superb but to my way of thinking there was above average coverage from mids and onballers sagging back to help out - over a period of weeks this must take some sort of a toll on them and probably contributed to our loss in a small way.

Poor TD.
I think he was simply saying the back players group had lots of injuries.

Last man standing stuff.

Spot on. Esipically last 2 games vs Port and Freo when we had Madgen in and Oxley who got De-Listed where getting a Game.

Quyanor would of got games ahead of Ox and I say Kelly could got games ahead of Madgen

Spot on. Esipically last 2 games vs Port and Freo when we had Madgen in and Oxley who got De-Listed where getting a Game.

Quyanor would of got games ahead of Ox and I say Kelly could got games ahead of Madgen
I’d differ on Kelly v Madgen. Madgen is a more mature developed type whilst Kelly one year in (we’re assuming he was a year older and with us from last year) would be too underdeveloped at this stage.
I think he will be marked for the future and be allowed natural maturity etc.

Quaynor on the eye does look older, looks biggish in development, ready made. So yes he might have been ahead of Oxley. Quaynor on all accounts has a fantastic attitude and work ethic. Goes a long long way to assisting in getting games, especially in line ball calls.

He should be a good addition. I’m also looking forward to see Murphy and where he’s at.

Good times ahead I’m sure.

I think the club is moving to the mindset of Tyler Brown as a midfielder now, though obviously I'm not sure where he was training at the end of 2017.

That’s a joke, yes? Our defensive group in the final 8 games of 2018 conceded just 69.8ppg and was terrific overall. There is absolutely no way a top age U18 kid that was “ok” in that year would have been able to break into that team.

Let’s be frank here IQ didn’t have a strong U18 year and whilst I have no doubt he’ll go alright with time he is no Jayden Stephenson or Dale Thomas level talent.
I mean... Quaynor got named AA. Can't have been a terrible U18 year.

I mean... Quaynor got named AA. Can't have been a terrible U18 year.

Just to clarify I never went near the word terrible. Both my comments were indicators of him doing enough without standing out. He was also the best defender in the draft so it would have been a massive shock for him to miss AA.

If I’m taking the guidance of an impartial observer on the strength of his year I’m going to Knightmare who wasn’t particularly glowing in his appraisal. Whether I agree with Knight on his chances of making a career is a side issue, but I would definitely back in his assessment of the standard of his year over anyone else’s.

From there comparing an AA at that level to VFL form is apples and oranges, IMO.

Firstly, I don't think the defence is as settled as you imply, though it certainly did well collectively in September

Yup, there is an obvious back 6, I don't think anyone would argue that Crisp, Howe, Langdon, and Maynard aren't locks. Moore and Dunn will play if fit. But of course, in reality, there is a back 7, 1 of those interchange spots rotates through the backline, and IMO that spot is up for grabs. So who is that 7th defender?

Aish would be the incumbent, but is he a lock? He had a mixed bag in September. In the QF, he got a lot of the footy, but there were some disappointing blind kicks out of defence. Yes, he was under pressure, but really a player of Aish's class really should not have panicked like he did. He was pretty good against GWS, very good defensively against Richmond on a dangerous opponent, but, IMV disappointing in the GF. Yes, he kept his opponent quiet, but his opponent, Venables was probably the 22nd chosen and not all that much of a threat. You would have hoped that in light of this, Aish would have found a lot more of the footy and contributed to our run and carry out of defence. 7 disposals for a HBFer is not a good return when you aren't playing on much. Aish needs to do more IMO and should not be considered an automatic selection. FWIW, I reckon he is better suited to a wing

Greenwood did play HBF in the first couple of finals. and I am really not a fan of him there. His disposal just isn't good enough and gets badly exposed, a tagger or nothing. Id say similar things for for Appleby, who is quite sound defensively but I just don't see any creativity in his game. Doesn't find much of the footy, doesn't do much with it when he gets it. These two don't play defence unless we have a run of injuries

Now of course its hard to talk up a kid yet to play a senior game of footy, ya never know what flaws might emerge. But if his attributes do transfer to senior footy, I am very confident this kid will be good. His skills, disposal and vision are his strength, and might prove to be elite. He is miles ahead of Greenwood and Appleby on that, and Id pick him in front of those two every day of the week..

So, given that there isn't a nailed down 7th defender. I think he is a reasonable chance, he is at least in the conversation...

Firstly, I don't think the defence is as settled as you imply, though it certainly did well collectively in September

Yup, there is an obvious back 6, I don't think anyone would argue that Crisp, Howe, Langdon, and Maynard aren't locks. Moore and Dunn will play if fit. But of course, in reality, there is a back 7, 1 of those interchange spots rotates through the backline, and IMO that spot is up for grabs. So who is that 7th defender?

Aish would be the incumbent, but is he a lock? He had a mixed bag in September. In the QF, he got a lot of the footy, but there were some disappointing blind kicks out of defence. Yes, he was under pressure, but really a player of Aish's class really should not have panicked like he did. He was pretty good against GWS, very good defensively against Richmond on a dangerous opponent, but, IMV disappointing in the GF. Yes, he kept his opponent quiet, but his opponent, Venables was probably the 22nd chosen and not all that much of a threat. You would have hoped that in light of this, Aish would have found a lot more of the footy and contributed to our run and carry out of defence. 7 disposals for a HBFer is not a good return when you aren't playing on much. Aish needs to do more IMO and should not be considered an automatic selection. FWIW, I reckon he is better suited to a wing

Greenwood did play HBF in the first couple of finals. and I am really not a fan of him there. His disposal just isn't good enough and gets badly exposed, a tagger or nothing. Id say similar things for for Appleby, who is quite sound defensively but I just don't see any creativity in his game. Doesn't find much of the footy, doesn't do much with it when he gets it. These two don't play defence unless we have a run of injuries

Now of course its hard to talk up a kid yet to play a senior game of footy, ya never know what flaws might emerge. But if his attributes do transfer to senior footy, I am very confident this kid will be good. His skills, disposal and vision are his strength, and might prove to be elite. He is miles ahead of Greenwood and Appleby on that, and Id pick him in front of those two every day of the week..

So, given that there isn't a nailed down 7th defender. I think he is a reasonable chance, he is at least in the conversation...

The conversation has been about whether he'd have slotted into our defensive group in 2018 though....

In 2019, he has to show something at senior level before he usurps Appleby in my view. His TAC stats aren't that dissimilar to Appleby's across 9 senior games. IQ just isn't a high possession earner.... yet. You're basing anything more than that on potential. And I dispute the assertion that Appleby lacks creativity or run from the defensive area. I thought he improved week on week. He's still a kid with only 9 games under his belt and I'd expect to see considerable improvement with further experience, especially if can put a stable defensive unit on the park.

Murphy down back?
Could he become the 7th....?

(Once Scharenberg returns and is healthy and ready to go, he’ll be in.)

Murphy down back?
Could he become the 7th....?

(Once Scharenberg returns and is healthy and ready to go, he’ll be in.)

I think, if he's playing defence in 2019 Murphy's competing for a medium-tall spot rather than as a small defender. Crisp (190cm), Langdon (190cm), and Howe (190cm) all ahead of him for those spots.

You'd assume Maynard, Adams, Mayne, Aish, Greenwood, Varcoe, Appleby, Tyler Brown, and IQ the most obvious candidates fighting for those 2 small-medium defender spots.

I think, if he's playing defence in 2019 Murphy's competing for a medium-tall spot rather than as a small defender. Crisp (190cm), Langdon (190cm), and Howe (190cm) all ahead of him for those spots.

You'd assume Maynard, Adams, Mayne, Aish, Greenwood, Varcoe, Appleby, Tyler Brown, and IQ the most obvious candidates fighting for those 2 small-medium defender spots.
Maynard would be a lock.

Locks:

Langdon, Dunn, Maynard, Howe, Moore, Crisp

Then it’s a dog fight.