Cyclops

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 25, 2001
Northern Suburbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
IOM Gyms, Preston Nth End
Are we confusing run and carry with breaking lines here? Langdon does run and carry. They all do in the backline, but someone like Sam Murray breaks lines because of his pace, which made him so valuable last year until he lost form. Quaynor is not the same as Sam Murray. He doesn't have the same burst speed as Sam Murray. However he is a much more versatile player than Sam Murray because he can play different roles. If Sam Murray can somehow navigate through his ASADA issues and return to the team, both he and Quaynor could play in the same 22 together in the backline because they both offer something. However, forgetting Sam Murray, at this point of time there are probably two, maybe three players ahead of Quaynor to play on the half back line. Appleby would be one of those players, although I'm hoping Quaynor can find a way into the side.
Good point, Murray was getting games even though he was turning it over horribly because we needed speed to rip it out of defence.

Saintly's point about kicking vs running is relevant in the midfield but down back the zones have choked us up badly (eg in the GF when the ball pinged back in repeatedly) and its the current trend to either build the best zones (WC, Adelaide, Hawthorn, GWS) or disrupt them (Richmond, us, Melbourne). A player with agility and body strength to burst out (eg Lumumba or Heater, Quaynor may fit this bill) or sheer pace (currently Murray, shame about Seedsman not being up to it) is vital to beat the layered zones by disrupting them.

Your can do it with kicking but we don't have enough A+ kicks for this to be our gameplan. It can be done though.

In the past Hawthorn beat zones with free kicks and perfect passing and Geelong did it by Danking one-on-ones with enormous muscular dank muscles, the ****ing cheats. We lack enough boys with the footskills atm to Hawk it (only Wells and Pendles are that level), and we're not Danking. Mad ball it is, so while we need quality well rounded players like Quaynor (and he can contribute to this gameplan), flavour of the month footy requires greyhounds as well, even if their kicking is dodgy.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting thought but i would probably put a different bent on it. You can improve your acceleration a little with work but overall for me its pretty intrinsic. Mitchell and pendles didnt need toe for the first 1-5 m that got by on anticipation and that gives them evasiveness.

Remember Hine talking about recruiting Pendles and how he super slowed tapes of a ball in dispute. Pendles was always the 1st to react. Once he reacts everyone else is reactionary, the opponent commits and Pendles (or Mitchell) almost walk around them with all the time in the world. Leg speed helps as in a young Chris Judd just putting on the afterburners but if you have acute anticipation you don't need leg speed in 1-5m range. If you were to find out what Mitchells sprint times were from start to developed player I reckon there wont be a great change bar age related improvement bucause you are largely born with your speed.

I don't disagree that both have elite anticipation but Mitchell often used his tiny legs to move quite quickly once in possession both laterally and directly, now I'm not saying he is a "quick" but rather he is not as slow as purported.

I used to closely watch him due to the slow claims and imo it was a bit of a misnomer. He clearly had at least an average standard pace across the first few meters which he often used to gain some space to deliver cleanly. He wasn't all rocket handballs inside packs or standing in tackles to handball out of congestion eg Pendles of last few years on the latter.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good point, Murray was getting games even though he was turning it over horribly because we needed speed to rip it out of defence.

Saintly's point about kicking vs running is relevant in the midfield but down back the zones have choked us up badly (eg in the GF when the ball pinged back in repeatedly) and its the current trend to either build the best zones (WC, Adelaide, Hawthorn, GWS) or disrupt them (Richmond, us, Melbourne). A player with agility and body strength to burst out (eg Lumumba or Heater, Quaynor may fit this bill) or sheer pace (currently Murray, shame about Seedsman not being up to it) is vital to beat the layered zones by disrupting them.

Your can do it with kicking but we don't have enough A+ kicks for this to be our gameplan. It can be done though.

In the past Hawthorn beat zones with free kicks and perfect passing and Geelong did it by Danking one-on-ones with enormous muscular dank muscles, the ****ing cheats. We lack enough boys with the footskills atm to Hawk it (only Wells and Pendles are that level), and we're not Danking. Mad ball it is, so while we need quality well rounded players like Quaynor (and he can contribute to this gameplan), flavour of the month footy requires greyhounds as well, even if their kicking is dodgy.

How many of Murrays long runs then kicks hit a target? or converted positively into scoring forays? Not nearly enough imo.

Cyclops

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 25, 2001
Northern Suburbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
IOM Gyms, Preston Nth End
How many of Murrays long runs then kicks hit a target? or converted positively into scoring forays? Not nearly enough imo.
Yeah no doubt he's actually not worth his spot ATM (I recall a game mid 2018 where I felt he cost us the four points with two-three turnover goals), but they are willing to punt on him because his raw pace is potentially so valuable. I think he's a quickest on our list ij game terms, not thefastest over 100 metres but quick to his top speed, and nimble as well.

Bit of off topic talk about Pendles ITT, he's mid pace for a midfielder. No way he's as slow as Diesel Williams. He's rarely caught because he's so aware but also because he's not a snail. I would say He's Selwood/Martin pace, he's not a dart like Treloar or Dangerfield but can move.

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah no doubt he's actually not worth his spot ATM (I recall a game mid 2018 where I felt he cost us the four points with two-three turnover goals), but they are willing to punt on him because his raw pace is potentially so valuable. I think he's a quickest on our list ij game terms, not thefastest over 100 metres but quick to his top speed, and nimble as well.

Bit of off topic talk about Pendles ITT, he's mid pace for a midfielder. No way he's as slow as Diesel Williams. He's rarely caught because he's so aware but also because he's not a snail. I would say He's Selwood/Martin pace, he's not a dart like Treloar or Dangerfield but can move.
Martin is quick...

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
A fit Moore would stop him from being a certain senior selection anyway.
Different players, different key position v flank area.

In my view when Matthew is fully fit, he’ll be in and be a mainstay.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
If he is best 22 as a flanker, he has to surpass Howe (no chance) or Langdon (I suspect many rate Shaz higher, but im a Langdon fan)
I see it a bit different; firstly the traditional back 6 should have that extra helper (interchange) so there’s basically 7.

B. Scharenberg ~ Dunn ~ Langdon
HB. Howe ~ Moore ~ Crisp

with Maynard the extra player or all of them being the 7.

When I do my best 22 they’re the players I list in those spots with Maynard (a certainty) placed on the bench for convenience.

I see it a bit different; firstly the traditional back 6 should have that extra helper (interchange) so there’s basically 7.

B. Scharenberg ~ Dunn ~ Langdon
HB. Howe ~ Moore ~ Crisp

with Maynard the extra player or all of them being the 7.

When I do my best 22 they’re the players I list in those spots with Maynard (a certainty) placed on the bench for convenience.
I agree on the 7, but to me that 7 is a bit unbalanced, I'd like the 7th to be a ground level runner rather than another guy whose best work is in the air. So id like quaynor or a rotating mid to be the 7th guy.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
With a 6-6-6 format, Quaynor will be pretty important playing on small defenders as he has the leg speed.

Would have been nice to see both IQ and Appleby play today.

Mongo Ming

Intergalactic Despot
Sep 10, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Certainly not going to go overboard in a scratch match but this kid definitely has that cult hero whiff about him. Got the crowd on its toes when he came on in the 2nd half.

Loved his confidence today taking the game on in his first hit out and not looking overawed or panicked.

Also like that Eddie is smart enough to give his family the VIP treatment on the sidelines. If he turns out to be a jet there’s plenty of his brothers to grab at a discount ;-)

Plenty of water to go under the bridge yet, but a rd1 debut is a distinct possibility.

Good luck fella!

If he turns out to be a jet there’s plenty of his brothers to grab at a discount ;-)
AFL already one to that...

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/af...ml?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed
The AFL is reviewing the contentious northern states academies and multicultural and Indigenous academies, seeking club input into how the academies should operate, including the rules for player eligibility and bidding at the draft.

The AFL has appointed former Carlton skipper and ex-Blues football operations chief Andrew McKay to review both the northern states academies and Next Generation Academies (NGA) for multicultural and Indigenous players

The review - which AFL sources said would be "open-ended" - follows concern about how players have been tied to clubs, such as Collingwood gaining Isaac Quaynor and North's access to Tasmanian Tarryn Thomas, when those NGA recruits and others were already highly-accomplished youngsters in the elite squads and touted as certain AFL players when they were allocated via zones.

Aside from eligibility, the other main concern raised about the northern and multicultural and Indigenous academies has been the price that clubs have paid for high-value recruits, such as Sydney's Nick Blakey, Quaynor and Thomas - all of whom attracted bids within the first round of the draft, but whose clubs still traded out their first pick.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good athlete and good intent but struggled to hit a Collingwood target by hand or foot, not ready for AFL footy right now.

Yeah nah Kappa.

Will play round 1 for me.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah nah Kappa.

Will play round 1 for me.

You didn't see the vast majority of his kicks and handballs miss the target? He went at 40% disposal efficiency and most of those were short kicks or handpasses that just missed the target. Maybe we watched a different game.

Again, a lot to like, but he needs to earn selection in the VFL.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
You didn't see the vast majority of his kicks and handballs miss the target? He went at 40% disposal efficiency and most of those were short kicks or handpasses that just missed the target. Maybe we watched a different game.

I stand by my call......he should play round 1.

I wasn’t marking him as hard as you.

Maynard and Crisp and Quaynor is a nice mix.

I thought he did well today.

Agree with Kappa

I have Aish and Murphy ahead of him at the Moment