Player Watch Jay Rantall (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand the sentimentality behind the gesture but I’d much rather see a player develop into the number and get to watch the 35 in action regularly.
I’m not a huge fan either, I would love to have seen Josh Daicos embrace it but understand also why he didn’t.

Like the look of his highlights package, where is his biggest areas of improvement (ie why did he supposedly slip?) Snoop Dog Knightmare Pie 4 Life ?

Yeah I’m not sure to be honest. lot Of comparisons to Worpel and his draft experience for mine. Both somewhat similar types.... Worpel was a well known package whereas Jay has a lot of upside given his relative lack of exposure to others. Whether it’s the perceived issue around his foot skills, clubs around us had his type and were looking for something else am not sure.

His biggest area of improvement is his foot skills. They ain’t bad but they need work.

Rantall had to sign a contract during his time in basketball to stop himself from playing any footy. So it's not just "lack of exposure to the elite pathways" Derek Hine areas but "no exposure"... until recent times of course.

Sounds like he could be a fantastic pick up if he develops his kicking.

Seems like a good value selection at 40 when most had him in the 20-30 range. Shifter Sheehan even took him at 15 in his pre draft mock with Cal Twomey.

A real Hine type pick. Two sport athlete with a lack of exposure to elite football pathways. His endurance, reported spread from the contest (both ways) and his clearance ability all sound very exciting.

Geez he looked like Tay Adams to me too in that highlights clip; even down to wearing the #13 jumper.

Welcome aboard Jay.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Obviously quicker than Phillips at his combine but as for current day results, Apples may have these on record from the most recent preseason?
Yep, If Rantall runs 5:50 next week he will easily depose Phillips.
Last year Phillips ran 6:08 and in 2017 he ran 6:04.
It's going to be very interesting this one. In 2017 Phillips sat back in the pack and spinted the last 300 metres. He later said he'd been a bit crook the day before. Last year he just blitzed them from the start. I wonder what some serious competition will do?

It's going to be very interesting this one. In 2017 Phillips sat back in the pack and spinted the last 300 metres. He later said he'd been a bit crook the day before. Last year he just blitzed them from the start. I wonder what some serious competition will do?

He will probably run a PB with someone pushing him hard.
Just not sure Rantall will be in amongst it if it's on Monday.
That would be more along the lines of familiarisation day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be fascinating to see Phillips pushed.

Whilst Blicavs is his own category of elite running beast, we usually have a few premier runners.

Rantall looks like he’ll give Phillips a real fright in competition.
Then there’s Steele. He might not win these days but let’s see who would win if they did 3 x 2km with a small break in between (1 minute).

Curious to know whether he might be related to John “Mopsy” Rantall, who played more than 300 games, mostly for North Melbourne, and was a really terrific player. Anyone know?
Highly likely to be related to John Rantall. John is from Cobden and currently lives near Warrnambool, where Jay is from. Jay's family are all Swans fans -John Rantall played over 200 games for South Melbourne.

Walk tall Rantall.
giphy.gif

Thing that all those mug shots highlighted to me was that this might go down as the all time ugliest boof headiest draft group.
It's scary that these are the best physical genes in the land, the rest of us must be real spuds.

Thing that all those mug shots highlighted to me was that this might go down as the all time ugliest boof headiest draft group.

OMG you're not wrong! Had me in stitches. Maybe everyone's having kids later so Australia's sperm quality has taken a drastic downturn? Or maybe the good looking roosters aren't bothered with footy prowess as a path to getting a root, when there's Tinder now instead?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back