Player Watch Jay Rantall (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, If Rantall runs 5:50 next week he will easily depose Phillips.
Last year Phillips ran 6:08 and in 2017 he ran 6:04.
It's going to be very interesting this one. In 2017 Phillips sat back in the pack and spinted the last 300 metres. He later said he'd been a bit crook the day before. Last year he just blitzed them from the start. I wonder what some serious competition will do?
Phillips has had some competition in the past with Sidey and Smith who have pushed him. 5:50 is 14sec better than his best times we know of and that’s a world of difference.

An 18 yo running 5:50 is only going to improve that over time and Phillips, unless he has been coasting previously which would be hard to believe, can’t just suddenly find 15 sec. It’s just too much improvement if his other efforts involved him doing his best.

Rantall should street them based on his time

Thing that all those mug shots highlighted to me was that this might go down as the all time ugliest boof headiest draft group.
Did anyone else notice that Lachlan Gollant & Jy Farrar are dead ringers?
ED0FAFC4-F380-4FBE-B4C3-76D70A2ECDF0.jpeg

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Phillips has had some competition in the past with Sidey and Smith who have pushed him. 5:50 is 14sec better than his best times we know of and that’s a world of difference.

An 18 yo running 5:50 is only going to improve that over time and Phillips, unless he has been coasting previously which would be hard to believe, can’t just suddenly find 15 sec. It’s just too much improvement if his other efforts involved him doing his best.

That’s the nub of it, 15 seconds is quite a lot.
im not wanting to put the hi jinx on but this guy might prove the big steal.
has lots of athletic gifts and that one other special quality, dedication.

we get this stand out guy whilst other clubs play games with bidding, swapping etc. I’ll take the guy that‘s high performing dedicated.

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm a little more cautious on this one. Pick 40, average / below average height, solid inside / solid outside, probably average pace, one terrific weapon of endurance, below average kicking.

Doesn't scream certainty to me.

I'm a little more cautious on this one. Pick 40, average / below average height, solid inside / solid outside, probably average pace, one terrific weapon of endurance, below average kicking.

I think the thinking here shouldn’t be around certainty. Pick 40 as a rule is more a pick in hope.

So with that background Rantall and Bianco seem fantastic pick ups. They were widely ranked considerably higher by many experts pre draft and have slid from that expectation

I think the other thing you haven’t stated with Rantall is his limited footy exposure in recent years and his coming from an elite basketball background. We know plenty transition strongly from the bb background and this would seem to give lots of scope for improvement.

I agree he is no certainty but he is a bloody good swing in hope.

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood

I think you’re selling him a little short tbh. Really hunts the pill and the player. Racks up a lot of tackles (18 in one game) by using his two attributes in his endurance and his inside game. Also hits the scoreboard regularly. He has all the bases to become a good player and I think he’ll work hard to improve.

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood

I think this guy looks like he has more potential than both Calum Brown and Daicos when drafted. Clearly not the pedigree but his size, inside work, and endurance are superior both of them. I think he has plenty of potential.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Interesting take.

not sure a guy that runs as well as he does, elite levels, can be considered “probably average pace.”

he’ll be at the contest then the next contest then the one after that.
that level of talent and pace can find a home at senior football level.
That isn’t average in my view.

who knows who does or doesn’t make it. but for a pick in the 40s and being touted higher rated pre draft we’re more likely to have got a bargain than many in that range.

Highly likely to be related to John Rantall. John is from Cobden and currently lives near Warrnambool, where Jay is from. Jay's family are all Swans fans -John Rantall played over 200 games for South Melbourne.
Well, there you go. Odd that it wasn’t mentioned in the dispatches. After I put up the earlier post I did a quick search on John Rantall. Was named in the Team of the Century for both North and the Swans. There wouldn’t be too many in the TOTC for two clubs.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well, there you go. Odd that it wasn’t mentioned in the dispatches. After I put up the earlier post I did a quick search on John Rantall. Was named in the Team of the Century for both North and the Swans. There wouldn’t be too many in the TOTC for two clubs.
Not too many.

a few that come to mind

ian Stewart (st Kilda; Richmond)
tony Lockett (st Kilda; Sydney)
greg Williams (Sydney, Carlton)

and the aforesaid John Rantall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood

Worth acknowledging Lynch in the mix as well. I think he beat Sidey last year and pushed Phillips.

The four of them (Rantall, Phillips, Lynch, Sidebottom) all deserve to be in the same conversation.

Fratbrat

Senior List
Nov 8, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Worth acknowledging Lynch in the mix as well. I think he beat Sidey last year and pushed Phillips.

The four of them (Rantall, Phillips, Lynch, Sidebottom) all deserve to be in the same conversation.
Fast start forward line with a grind you to meat midfield.

I would put Rantall in his own conversation and the other 3 can be discussed for second place. 15 seconds at that pace equals 85 m roughly.

Finish should be Rantall then daylight. Assuming the time we are using are correct.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Saw a comment in the draft thread that us selecting Rantall could mean we trade out Phillips next year for cap relief. Do people buy into that theory?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back