Player Watch John Noble

Remove this Banner Ad

I was hoping we'd at least find out on Sunday, but he's not playing in the VFL this week, which is a bit of a pity. It's likely to be 48, 49, or maybe 50. I don't think we've heard yet what number Wilson has been allocated, but he should have one of the spare numbers.

At the risk of derailing the thread again with my Noble Park diversion................

42 is available!!!!!!

I was hoping we'd find out on Sunday, but he's not playing in the VFL this week, which is a bit of a pity. It's likely to be 48, 49, or maybe 50. I don't think we've heard yet what number Wilson has been allocated, but he should have one of those numbers.[
I was hoping we'd at least find out on Sunday, but he's not playing in the VFL this week, which is a bit of a pity. It's likely to be 48, 49, or maybe 50. I don't think we've heard yet what number Wilson has been allocated, but he should have one of the spare numbers.
Stephenson will have to get a new number. Wilson only signed with us if he could wear number 1

At the risk of derailing the thread again with my Noble Park diversion................

42 is available!!!!!!
I'm absolutely in favour of 42 being used, and think more than enough time has passed with it sitting idle. Probably won't be seen anytime soon, however!

A mate of mine, his cousin was Jack to everyone. He went in to get his drivers licence when he was 18 and he gave them his name and he wasn’t in the system. Went home to tell his mum and she proceeded to tell him his name on his birth certificate was John. 18 years of age and didn’t know his own name haha.

On the upside at least it was his first name causing the confusion...

My understanding was Milane's family have asked not to reallocate the number?
Yes, I believe we have promised the family that we won't use it. So there's no real chance of it being seen again anytime soon. Though I don't know for sure how long this "arrangement" is meant to last. Does it end perhaps when Darren's mother dies, or have we said we would never use it again? Not sure.

Yes, I believe we have promised the family that we won't use it. So there's no real chance of it being seen again anytime soon. Though I don't know for sure how long this "arrangement" is meant to last. Does it end perhaps when Darren's mother dies, or have we said we would never use it again? Not sure.

I wouldn't want anyone to carry the burden... it would heap a bunch of pressure on whoever wore it.

I wouldn't want anyone to carry the burden... it would heap a bunch of pressure on whoever wore it.
We've had lots of great players over the years, and some of them a fair bit better than Darren Millane, yet we've passed on their numbers to new players who've come along. Obviously the circumstances are somewhat different because Millane died while still playing and at his peak, but I can't really see why an 18 year old draftee (or an established player who has been at the club for a few years e.g. Taylor Adams) would be that fussed about wearing a jumper number made famous by a player who died years before they were born.

I was hoping we'd at least find out on Sunday, but he's not playing in the VFL this week, which is a bit of a pity. It's likely to be 48 or 49. I don't think we've heard yet what number Wilson has been allocated, but he should have one of the spare numbers.
I have by order of ascension to the Collingwood pantheon Wilson 48 and John the Noble 49.

We've had lots of great players over the years, and some of them a fair bit better than Darren Millane, yet we've passed on their numbers to new players who've come along. Obviously the circumstances are somewhat different because Millane died while still playing and at his peak, but I can't really see why an 18 year old draftee (or an established player who has been at the club for a few years e.g. Taylor Adams) would be that fussed about wearing a jumper number made famous by a player who died years before they were born.
My understanding is the Club promised Darren’s family (dad was alive then, Ray I think it was) the jumper was retired. Mum Millane being with us would have to approach the club to day, it’s time to pass it on.
The Club has taken the stance that a promise made in such good faith at the time must be honoured.
I agree with this stance. It’s a nice way to keep our clubs embrace of Mum Millane.

As to a future player carrying the number, I doubt it would fuss to many young players. It would be way before they were born. It would be something I imagine a young player would be schooled on so they can say all the correct things.

It’s a nostalgia thing for us that watched the Millane career.

It remains rested until Mum Millane either calls for it or after she returns to her son.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stephenson will have to get a new number. Wilson only signed with us if he could wear number 1
Wilson doesn’t even get a number.

He’s beyond that.

My understanding is the Club promised Darren’s family (dad was alive then, Ray I think it was) the jumper was retired. Mum Millane being with us would have to approach the club to day, it’s time to pass it on.
The Club has taken the stance that a promise made in such good faith at the time must be honoured.
I agree with this stance. It’s a nice way to keep our clubs embrace of Mum Millane.

As to a future player carrying the number, I doubt it would fuss to many young players. It would be way before they were born. It would be something I imagine a young player would be schooled on so they can say all the correct things.

It’s a nostalgia thing for us that watched the Millane career.

It remains rested until Mum Millane either calls for it or after she returns to her son.

His father was Bob Millane. I knew he was dead but I actually just found out he committed suicide, never got over Darren's death.. tragic.

I was hoping we'd at least find out on Sunday, but he's not playing in the VFL this week, which is a bit of a pity. It's likely to be 48 or 49. I don't think we've heard yet what number Wilson has been allocated, but he should have one of the spare numbers.
Every player had their respective numbers on the back of their training tops...except Wilson & Noble (nothing).
Maybe only allocate upon selection for first VFL game?

Of noble mind and noble birth he will resolve our forward dearth

His father was Bob Millane. I knew he was dead but I actually just found out he committed suicide, never got over Darren's death.. tragic.
I didn’t know about how he died?
Sad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back