Player Watch Welcome to Collingwood John Noble

Timmy from Thomastown

TheBrownDog
May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have been arguing it for over a decade that SANFL is overall a higher quality league then VFL these days.
Probably because of the ten Victorian AFL sides diluting the VFL talent pool?

Assuming no injuries and 40 man AFL lists, there are 180 AFL players running around in the VFL every week compared to 36 in the SANFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Timmy from Thomastown

TheBrownDog
May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
AFL players should be better than VFL/SANFL players.
My apologies,

Thought we were talking about the depth of the talent pool in both competitions. Being as it is, a thread about John Noble.

Clearly due to sheer numbers there will be more available talent in the SANFL than in the VFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jen2310

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
When Bucks was talking, you could see John trying to hide his excitement. It was gonna burst out of him.

whiskeytown

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well done to him. Wasn't a fan of his selection in the mid season draft.... but have watched him in 3 VFL games and the kid is Caleb Daniel like and hard working.

Recall last week how he kicked it in after a behind. Hit the player 30m away with a quick low kick, and then ran at full pace to collect the handball receive on the run from that player.

With that sort of endeavour, the kid wiill have an impact right from game one.

loki04

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Probably because of the ten Victorian AFL sides diluting the VFL talent pool?

Assuming no injuries and 40 man AFL lists, there are 180 AFL players running around in the VFL every week compared to 36 in the SANFL
Now its very hard to read snark and sarcasm over the interwebs but that first line reeks of it? <<---- Statement-ishy question.

If so I am not sure why you took offence mate? it is, what it is.

And yes you are probably right having more mature players run through the SANFL likely creates a better league overall. Rather then developing lots of 18/19 and 20yo filling half the VFL.

TradeDraft

Premium Gold
Oct 18, 2009
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well done to him. Wasn't a fan of his selection in the mid season draft.... but have watched him in 3 VFL games and the kid is Caleb Daniel like and hard working.

Recall last week how he kicked it in after a behind. Hit the player 30m away with a quick low kick, and then ran at full pace to collect the handball receive on the run from that player.

Why you not a Fan of Picking Him?

loki04

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood

Sounds like what we were after with Murray but seemingly a better kick and more prolific ball winner.

sirlothie

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Now its very hard to read snark and sarcasm over the interwebs but that first line reeks of it? <<---- Statement-ishy question.

If so I am not sure why you took offence mate? it is, what it is.

And yes you are probably right having more mature players run through the SANFL likely creates a better league overall. Rather then developing lots of 18/19 and 20yo filling half the VFL.
I think he confused both me and you. He meant the AFL players in the VFL dilutes the VFL listed players in the VFL, not the VFL itself.

loki04

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
AFL players should be better than VFL/SANFL players.
Well that's debatable when they are still teens vs men. Seen plenty of draftees struggle at VFL level or SANFL level, also there are some players who have talent to match AFL players but fall down in other areas so dont get a look in at AFL lvl but SANFL clubs happy to have them.

loki04

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think he confused both me and you. He meant the AFL players in the VFL dilutes the VFL listed players in the VFL, not the VFL itself.
Yup and I'd argue that can dilute the VFL competition, some teams dont even care about wins some years and only development for example.

sirlothie

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well that's debatable when they are still teens vs men. Seen plenty of draftees struggle at VFL level or SANFL level, also there are some players who have talent to match AFL players but fall down in other areas so dont get a look in at AFL lvl but SANFL clubs happy to have them.
They have the more raw talent but not the experience.

Top Bottom