Player Watch Jordan Roughead

Remove this Banner Ad

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
From the silent air
of pure light, clearest view:
a return, to form
Welcome back pieku
Your poetry was much missed
Only yours is exact

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Roughead rules the back
No one can score on his watch
An able Dunn fill in.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Really? But a spine of Cox, Mihocek, Langdon and Goldsack had us leading the GF with under two minutes remaining.

No our spine was s**t house last year too. Dunn, Moore, Mihocek, Cox is the best we can do this year. It still falls short forward of centre. But that said our mediums and smalls make up for it. Mihocek is underrated and Cox offers a target at least so it gets by. Either way Roughead in the spine adds a weak link imo. One too many spare parts.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
No our spine was s**t house last year too. Dunn, Moore, Mihocek, Cox is the best we can do this year. It still falls short forward of centre. But that said our mediums and smalls make up for it. Mihocek is underrated and Cox offers a target at least so it gets by. Either way Roughead in the spine adds a weak link imo. One too many spare parts.
Jeesus Quicky, you're a hard marker! Dunn was great before injured, Moore is looking the goods at CHB, at least till his hamstring pops, Mihochek may not be a traditional CHF type but he got us to a GF, and Cox was a star in the finals.

But why have you left out DeGoey? Surely he is part of the spine? Certainly looked that way in the finals, except 2nd qtr against Richmond when Cox decided to give his parents the thrill of their lives. And as you say, we have the best midfield to make up for deficiencies and lots of quality flankers.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Roughead will not be in the spine unless a very tall match up or injury requires his presence there.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Jeesus Quicky, you're a hard marker! Dunn was great before injured, Moore is looking the goods at CHB, at least till his hamstring pops, Mihochek may not be a traditional CHF type but he got us to a GF, and Cox was a star in the finals.

But why have you left out DeGoey? Surely he is part of the spine? Certainly looked that way in the finals, except 2nd qtr against Richmond when Cox decided to give his parents the thrill of their lives. And as you say, we have the best midfield to make up for deficiencies and lots of quality flankers.

The context of the discussion is having Roughead in the spine as a defender. That is a spine of Roughead, Moore, Grundy, Mihocek, Cox. To me that doesn't inspire confidence. Cox and Roughead in the same spine lacks quality.

The spine of Dunn, Moore, Grundy, Mihocek and Cox is pretty good. But last year Dunn was essentially Langdon which changes the discussion.

Let me say I do really like Mihocek, he is very under rated. Mihocek has a good mix of aggression and scores his goals in different ways which with his work ethic always keeps him in play.

I hadn't considered De Goey tbh and you're right to highlight him. He lifts the overall quality of that spine if you include him. Although I tend to consider him a third tall or medium marking target. Perhaps we try too hard to categorise players! The mix up forward is very dynamic and dangerous which is what matters most.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
The context of the discussion is having Roughead in the spine as a defender. That is a spine of Roughead, Moore, Grundy, Mihocek, Cox. To me that doesn't inspire confidence. Cox and Roughead in the same spine lacks quality.

The spine of Dunn, Moore, Grundy, Mihocek and Cox is pretty good. But last year Dunn was essentially Langdon which changes the discussion.

Let me say I do really like Mihocek, he is very under rated. Mihocek has a good mix of aggression and scores his goals in different ways which with his work ethic always keeps him in play.

I hadn't considered De Goey tbh and you're right to highlight him. He lifts the overall quality of that spine if you include him. Although I tend to consider him a third tall or medium marking target. Perhaps we try too hard to categorise players! The mix up forward is very dynamic and dangerous which is what matters most.
Stuff names. Performances and form win games-if you do your job, you are in.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Stuff names. Performances and form win games-if you do your job, you are in.

This isn't about the names. It's an assessment based on Rougheads last several of seasons of AFL football. And also the balance of the team and our defence. Roughead could well turn it around but recent history suggests that we can't expect him to be much better than ok. I also see issues with two players over 200cm in defence. Forward lines are most often built to be fast and dynamic. If you go too tall you will get exploited at ground level.

This isn't about the names. It's an assessment based on Rougheads last several of seasons of AFL football. And also the balance of the team and our defence. Roughead could well turn it around but recent history suggests that we can't expect him to be much better than ok. I also see issues with two players over 200cm in defence. Forward lines are most often built to be fast and dynamic. If you go too tall you will get exploited at ground level.
He could be handy against West Coast.

Had Howe and Dunn come in from Other Club and Played lot better then they had for a Season or 2 at Melbourne.

So don't count out Roughead finally a New Level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had Howe and Dunn come in from Other Club and Played lot better then they had for a Season or 2 at Melbourne.

Agreed. Seeing him training first hand all pre-season, don't be surprised if he puts himself into the best 22.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

I think Dunn and Howe both had quite a high level. I did really undervalue Dunn at the time though. I hope i'm doing the same for Roughead now.

Where would you play Roughead Jen?
I'm not an expert, but I believe he has been training as a key defender. I believe the aim is to have Coxy at Forward for good. Leaving Roughy with down back as a defender, along with the rotating ruck duties with Grundy.
Of course time will tell what the plan for him is. But he has been one of the most impressing players this pre-season. I don't think it's impossible for him to get back into good form.

One thing is for sure, spots down back are going to be as competitive as any other position this season with our players. I wouldn't want to be on the selection panel.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Roughead is a very mobile player and Moore is an athletic freak. Neither will slow down our defense or make it in any way cumbersome. Horses for courses-if we play a small set up clearly our defensive set up will be smaller. I am glad we have Roughead for the likes of Lynch and Hawkins at the start of the year.

I think Dunn and Howe both had quite a high level. I did really undervalue Dunn at the time though. I hope i'm doing the same for Roughead now.

Roughead was huge for the Dogs in 2016 when they won the Flag

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Howe always had gun qualities.

I think you're overstating that, enigmatic at best. Unclear if he was going to be a forward or a defender at the Dees. There are reasons he was overlooked in his draft year.

Dunn was a 1st round draft selection so was obviously highly thought of. Even Roughy (pick 31) went before Howe (pick 33) in terms of relative draft position. Both were picked in their draft years.

Jul 13, 2007
Elwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thought Roughead was very poor today. Poor at FB in the first half and poor in the ruck in the second half. Moore was a better option at FB and Lynch did better in the ruck. The problem is Roughead lacks mobility. He and Reid made us too top heavy today. Our transition from HB to HF was very poor and Melbourne killed us on the turnover. Can't really see Roughead getting games this year unless he picks up a few meters in pace.

Thought Roughead was very poor today. Poor at FB in the first half and poor in the ruck in the second half. Moore was a better option at FB and Lynch did better in the ruck. The problem is Roughead lacks mobility. He and Reid made us too top heavy today. Our transition from HB to HF was very poor and Melbourne killed us on the turnover. Can't really see Roughead getting games this year unless he picks up a few meters in pace.

So what you saw today he be a List Clogger then

Remove this Banner Ad

Back