Player Watch Moana Hope moved to Nth Melb. Where to now? Post # 313

Remove this Banner Ad

Hutchins is old. Talent pool must be very weak if she is the best defender going around... but I guess it will only get better as more young girls start playing.

I kick the ball around with my youngest daughter where the Darebin Falcons train. Pretty healthy women's comp around the north.

Let's say you were living in Melbourne, ...

I'm finding that hard to imagine at the moment ...

Went into my coffee shop this morning. Had an interesting chat with the barista, let's call him "Bob". Bob is a good bloke, local Sydney lad, popular with his customers, makes an awesome Cappacino. Pity I don't drink Cappacinos anymore :(

Bob: "So 76, got much on the for weekend"

Me: "Yeah, got a few things on. I might go to the footy tomorrow, I'll see"

Bob: "Who is playing?"

Me: "Swans v GWS"

Bob: "GWS?"

Me: "Greater Western Sydney"

Bob: <blank look> "Who are Greater Western Sydney?"

Me: "AFL?"

Bob: "ah, that hand-egg game"

Oh Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore :(

... would you be supporting both teams equally in terms of viewership attendance interest ect

The home ground of the men's team is a 100,000 seat stadium, the home ground of the women's team has a capacity of what, a few thousand tops?

Clearly we're not expecting the same attendances. But these things have to start somewhere.

Went into my coffee shop this morning. Had an interesting chat with the barista, let's call him "Bob". Bob is a good bloke, local Sydney lad, popular with his customers, makes an awesome Cappacino. Pity I don't drink Cappacinos anymore :(

The home ground of the men's team is a 100,000 seat stadium, the home ground of the women's team has a capacity of what, a few thousand tops?

Clearly we're not expecting the same attendances. But these things have to start somewhere.

It'll be quite intriguing to see how much interest there is the women's league and specifically the Collingwood team... the ratings so far have been excellent but lasting ratings is the real battle.

Let's say you were living in Melbourne, would you be supporting both teams equally in terms of viewership attendance interest ect
Would he need to for the women's comp' to add value. If half the people that attend all pies games attended 2 women's games, that would be huge.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Walking through Flagstaff Gardens yesterday I saw a bunch of people on bikes playing polo. It was rad!

If there is any kind of cricket or footy on I will stop and watch it until my wife shouts at me... Not the FIRST time she shouts at me, mind you. She's always good for a few complaints before we really have to go, which is worth at least a few more overs or a couple of goals.

Hand-egg (and used incorrectly) is a more obscure football term than GWS is a team. Probably calls everything sportsball. Jam his beard in the coffee grinder and turn it on while laughing maniacally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even better than a Disney movie, Mo has been named one of Australia's 2016 Women of the Year, see here.

She was named "For her breakthrough into AFL as well as her selfless caring for her sister."

Kicking goals – 100 of them in one Victorian Women's Football League season, to be precise – was just one part of Hope's stellar year. The AFL star, whose move to Collingwood brought with it mixed emotions for many, has fought the good fight, relentlessly pushing for the football code to be given more equal sway on the sports stage. Her work with Western Bulldogs vice president and philanthropist Susan Alberti sees the inauguration of the first national AFL women's league next year. Off the footy pitch, she is the full-time carer of her sister, Lavinia, and, as a talented all-rounder, chose between cricket and football after dealing with her own "complicated" personal story. The subject of an Australian Story, Hope's meteoric rise appears in no danger of slowing down.

Not sure about the 'mixed emotions' bit. Nothing mixed going on here! At this rate, in some circles, Mo will be one of the most recognised faces at the Club. She will also - there is no doubt about this - bring new fans to us. Its all good.

Surely by mixed they mean happy and super happy?

I'm guessing they are referring to her Victorian Women's League teammates and coaches, those who did not make it to the women's AFL, would be happy for her to make it to Collingwood but sad to see her go... also the new league spelt the end of the VWFL which has splintered into smaller local "feeder" leagues. A few wouldn't be happy about that I reckon if they just missed the AFL...

Anything interesting?

The interview used some footage from the Australian Story episode of last year, about Mo's family and back story. The more recent stuff was about her time at the Pies, with the segment promoting the start to the AFLW season. I enjoyed it, she's a terrific representative of women's footy, and our club.

The interview used some footage from the Australian Story episode of last year, about Mo's family and back story. The more recent stuff was about her time at the Pies, with the segment promoting the start to the AFLW season. I enjoyed it, she's a terrific representative of women's footy, and our club.

It's up on iview, 24:30 mark

Remove this Banner Ad

Back