Welcome to Collingwood: Our new Barkly Brothers and Sisters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks have snagged one...
Hawthorn are poised to become the first beneficiary of what could one day be known colloquially as the "Tony Olango rule".
The Hawks have reached an in-principle agreement for emerging teenage ruckman Olango - born in a Kenyan refugee camp - to join the club as an academy player, taking advantage of a recent AFL rule tweak.
The league last month advised clubs of a change to the status of multicultural players living in Darwin under Next Generation academy rules.
Darwin had not originally been allocated to a club under the Next Generation rule because of the city's history of developing AFL players, however the five clubs with Next Generation zones in the Northern Territory - Geelong, Essendon, Collingwood, Melbourne and the Hawks - are now able to nominate multicultural players living in Darwin for their respective academies.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-player-through-new-rule-20170213-gubrru.html

Hawks have snagged one...
Hawthorn are poised to become the first beneficiary of what could one day be known colloquially as the "Tony Olango rule".
The Hawks have reached an in-principle agreement for emerging teenage ruckman Olango - born in a Kenyan refugee camp - to join the club as an academy player, taking advantage of a recent AFL rule tweak.
The league last month advised clubs of a change to the status of multicultural players living in Darwin under Next Generation academy rules.
Darwin had not originally been allocated to a club under the Next Generation rule because of the city's history of developing AFL players, however the five clubs with Next Generation zones in the Northern Territory - Geelong, Essendon, Collingwood, Melbourne and the Hawks - are now able to nominate multicultural players living in Darwin for their respective academies.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-player-through-new-rule-20170213-gubrru.html

Massive Steal by the Hawks:'(

Massive Steal by the Hawks:'(
He was available to all clubs in the National and Rookie Drafts and nobody wanted him. I know he was considered by some to be unlucky not to have been selected, and he may well go on to be a decent player, but I think calling it a "Massive Steal" is a bit of an exaggeration! It will be interesting to see how he goes from here.

Didn't he go undrafted last year? Hardly a massive steal when nobody wanted him when he was available...

Well that sounds like it was Injury had a Big Say.

For Free he is a Great Get

Well that sounds like it was Injury had a Big Say.

For Free he is a Great Get
Hawthorn aren't necessarily getting Olango for free, if you have a good look at the story. If he really impresses between now and draft time chances are that another club will bid for him and the Hawks will have to pay an appropriate price to put him on their list. They certainly can have first crack at him but it's not guaranteed that they will get him cheaply.

Darwin had not originally been allocated to a club under the Next Generation rule because of the city's history of developing AFL players, however the five clubs with Next Generation zones in the Northern Territory - Geelong, Essendon, Collingwood, Melbourne and the Hawks - are now able to nominate multicultural players living in Darwin for their respective academies. The players are then eligible to be drafted by the clubs at a 20 per cent discount, using the same bidding system in place for the NSW and Queensland clubs' academies and father-son selections.

Olango attracted interest from several clubs - one of whom is understood to be the Cats - but the Hawks confirmed to Fairfax Media on Monday that the athletic 201-centimetre prospect had agreed verbally to join the club, with a signature expected this week.

Yeah that's not exactly a steal when any club could have drafted him in November and clubs still have a chance to bid on him if they change their minds this year.
Yes, when you "read the fine print" you can see they haven't exactly pulled off an extraordinary coup in getting him! If he plays brilliantly in the NEAFL this season and is suddenly seen as a hot prospect then someone is bound to bid for him. If he doesn't impress they might end up taking him as a rookie.

We were obviously looking for a young developing ruckman last year and opted for Lynch when Olango was available, and I don't think too many people were overly excited at that selection, yet we still rated him above this lad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Collingwood are trying to relocate him to Melbourne but he's signed on in the NEAFL? Something doesn't add up.

Their season runs at a different time that AFL doesn't it?

Their season runs at a different time that AFL doesn't it?
I think that's the NTFL. NEAFL runs during the season and includes Sydney, GWS, Brisbane and GC reserves.

You know what I mean:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I do. How many players who are overlooked in their draft year go on to be stars Dave? I can think of Kurt Tippett and Matthew Pavlich from the last 20 years. That's hundreds, probably thousands of kids who never made it. The chances of Olango going on to be a star, let alone even drafted, are minuscule.

I do. How many players who are overlooked in their draft year go on to be stars Dave? I can think of Kurt Tippett and Matthew Pavlich from the last 20 years. That's hundreds, probably thousands of kids who never made it. The chances of Olango going on to be a star, let alone even drafted, are minuscule.

Not Many but you never know

Yeah that's not exactly a steal when any club could have drafted him in November and clubs still have a chance to bid on him if they change their minds this year.

You do wonder though if he might have scored a Cat B rookie spot if the rule tweak occurred pre-draft last year as opposed to post draft, rather than compete in the ND or RD.

Not Many but you never know
Why don't we worry and lament over every single player that we didn't select then, after all, you never know. I'm gutted that the Hawks got Mitchell Lewis with their last pick, because you never know, he might be a gun...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back