Player Watch Rupert Wills (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Good debut, looks a likely type. Problem is we seem to have a plethora of big bodied, hard at it, inside players whilst lacking outside running and skills that might take advantage of the possessions these inside guys get.

Yes we are working on as game style suited to footy in 2010.

His lack of pace is an issue. We have enough plodders.

Like what I saw on television. Can't comment on his speed hard to tell but the kid plays a hard brand of footy with composure and skill. Like others have already mentioned was a shining light on a bleak night.

Yes we are working on as game style suited to footy in 2010.

His lack of pace is an issue. We have enough plodders.

Spot on. The impact of recruiting Ball and then in 2012 losing to him injury showed clearly our weakness on the inside footy at that time. It seems like we have been so fixated with fixing this weakness through recruiting that we have overbalanced the other way. Raises questions around our assessment of potential recruits and/or our ability to develop a well balanced list.

Similar player to Sier but miles in front.
We can probably only have one of these types for black so he is front running at the moment.

Speed might not be an issue as much as endurance and strength when the interchanges drop in coming years.

Definitely worth persevering with at this stage.

Well done Rupert!

Really don't know how anyone could fault his last Few weeks? I wasn't sold either, now he might float in and out or he may just end up being another JDG and disappointing but I'm excited about what I see. If anything this year, Aish & Wills a couple of more strings to our bow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like how he knows he has a big body and uses it to advantage
A lot of the big bodied types don't use their one true physical asset
He is not Bontompelli but the thing they both have in common is the ability to use their bulk in packs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting reading some of the early-middle pages of this thread. Talk that we don't need a mid who excels around the stoppages and also that Wills should be demoted to the rookie list. How quickly things change.

I think he has done Better then lot of People would of Thought when they thought what he do this year

Really don't know how anyone could fault his last Few weeks? I wasn't sold either, now he might float in and out or he may just end up being another JDG and disappointing but I'm excited about what I see. If anything this year, Aish & Wills a couple of more strings to our bow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be the party pooper then. His kicking is very ordinary so far. It's almost Greenwood level bad is my initial impression. But it's early days so hopefully it comes with composure and experience.

On the flip side, he is a tackling machine and great around the contest. I also like that he was able to get some productive outside ball.

I'll be the party pooper then. His kicking is very ordinary so far. It's almost Greenwood level bad is my initial impression. But it's early days so hopefully it comes with composure and experience.

On the flip side, he is a tackling machine and great around the contest. I also like that he was able to get some productive outside ball.
Also has a heavy tendency to feed out handballs from a clearance mitigating his less polished skill of kicking. Oh and doesn't mind a tackle!

Though he does not Panic like Others

Wills is eligible for VFL finals regardless of how many AFL matches he plays.

Which is Fantastic news

One of the fringe benefits of waiting so long into the season to make your debut. You can rack up the VFL games and come into the seniors once there only a few weeks left. A calf problem in the first few weeks helps as well (if having a calf complaint can ever really "help" you... :huh: )

Hopefully he can have a big 3 weeks in the AFL to close out the year, then hit the Qualifying Final with some momentum and bulldoze a way through for us there as well. Just need to keep him away from Davoren...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back