Player Watch Sam McLarty (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just for the record, Sam has a bionic or cochlear implant which he wears whilst playing hence the helmet to protect it. He can hear and will continue to play with it whilst at Collingwood like he has throughout his junior footy - it's no different to a player who wears glasses, would it be assumed in that case that he/she would play without contact lenses and therefore be at a disadvantage and a liability? The answer is no and it's no different with Sam.

A bionic ear and contact lenses are the same thing? TIL

In terms of a medical device to correct or mitigate a physical defect, yes they are - the analogy holds and the assumption that he would play without the corrective device is plainly wrong.

Who made that assumption?

Bionic ear would only be the same as contact lenses if contact lenses were to help people completely blind see again

Last edited:

I'll be honest I was extremely underwhelmed this time last year, complete opposite this time!

Between this young fella, Kirby and Brown I see a lot of talent and desire. I'm not sold on young Daicos but he has the bloodline to be something.

Not sure that's true...

Even with 80k you can still hear players calling to each other when you're sitting 1st level
if we can in the stands he can on the field.

Just watching the boys press conference today, what a super impressive young man is McLarty. Speaks very well, ala Moore, looks to have a drive and determination to succeed. He looks as though he will be a kid who will thrive being part of the organisation, and continue to learn to be the best player he can be. l can see him playing senior footy next year.
He was just fantastic wasn't he.
Already a favourite of mine.
Just comes across with a brain and in a good head space.
Looks the goods.
He's a credit to his family, get he becomes a credit to us.

I'll be honest I was extremely underwhelmed this time last year, complete opposite this time!

Between this young fella, Kirby and Brown I see a lot of talent and desire. I'm not sold on young Daicos but he has the bloodline to be something.
I've heard that Callum works and works and works.
McLarty seems to have that work ethic too.
Up to them now.

Becoming a real favourite of mine.
Keep this up and he might, (i said might), approach my Pendlebury Scharenberg axis of admiration.

Wow, I've actually never been so impressed by the way a young bloke has handled a press conference. He was so genuine. I wouldn't usually be so excited by someone's character but he just seems like his head is screwed on so well he will make it 100%.

That is be 1 of the Big Reasons why Hine and Co would be big Fans.

Wine love his Prospects with good heads on there Shoulder's

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they all impressed me today at the press conference, but sam l thought was out standing.
very impressive young man

they all impressed me today at the press conference, but sam l thought was out standing.
very impressive young man
Agree for kids they were all quite good.

But the way Adam talked its apparant he just has that extra maturity, extra insight to his opportunity.
I enjoyed Kayle, very laid back and amusing. He is a contrast to Sam.
Both good in their way but Sam just a measure above.

480186.jpg
He also has a bionic shoulder.
But it didn't cost 6 million.

Agree for kids they were all quite good.

But the way Adam talked its apparant he just has that extra maturity, extra insight to his opportunity.
I enjoyed Kayle, very laid back and amusing. He is a contrast to Sam.
Both good in their way but Sam just a measure above.
even callum and josh spoke well. l like the four, for different reasons. all four nothing fazed them
spoke well, with maturity. but sam did impressed me very much. like kayle's laid back approach as well

He was just fantastic wasn't he.
Already a favourite of mine.
Just comes across with a brain and in a good head space.
Looks the goods.
He's a credit to his family, get he becomes a credit to us.
I also liked watching his reactions in the background while Kirby was answering questions.

even callum and josh spoke well. l like the four, for different reasons. all four nothing fazed them
spoke well, with maturity. but sam did impressed me very much. like kayle's laid back approach as well
Funny talking about going into the pokies to tell his family about his draft news.

Funny talking about going into the pokies to tell his family about his draft news.
Ahhh pokies, bringing families together.......

Mmmmmm,mmmmmmm,mmmmmmm

I've heard that Callum works and works and works.
McLarty seems to have that work ethic too.
Up to them now.
McLarty's responses were extremely impressive, I reckon the recruiting team has nailed this pick.

Hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard. This isn't to say he isn't talented but he seems to be a hard worker which improves his chances of making the grade.

He probably doesn't play much next year if at all with Dunn coming in but he's hopefully a key defensive post for the next decade.

I think this is a special batch of players, been almost a decade since I've thought this about a group of draftees.

Not sure about the players drafted in the rookie draft, the foot injury one has suffered is a concern given he may only be given a year to show something.

McLarty's responses were extremely impressive, I reckon the recruiting team has nailed this pick.

Hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard. This isn't to say he isn't talented but he seems to be a hard worker which improves his chances of making the grade.

He probably doesn't play much next year if at all with Dunn coming in but he's hopefully a key defensive post for the next decade.

I think this is a special batch of players, been almost a decade since I've thought this about a group of draftees.

Not sure about the players drafted in the rookie draft, the foot injury one has suffered is a concern given he may only be given a year to show something.

I'd say he's one Reid soft tissue injury away from debut myself,

by the looks of his draft videos, he's got the body and smarts to play next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back