Player Watch Sam McLarty (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone actually think the club would not have checked everything out (re his hearing) before we picked him with our first pick?

We might not get our picks always right due to players skillsets, but i have no doubt we do everything in our power to test whether players can hear on a field.

This is a bit of a strange thread imo.

Does anyone actually think the club would not have checked everything out (re his hearing) before we picked him with our first pick?

We might not get our picks always right due to players skillsets, but i have no doubt we do everything in our power to test whether players can hear on a field.

"Does anyone actually think the club would not have checked everything out (re his Drug investigation) before we demoted Balme and poached him to be our Head of Football?"

With our club I wouldn't be surprised anymore

Surely Sam's deafness is a non-story? I engaged in it initially, but the kid himself addresses it head on in his interviews, and its clear that it is not a hindrance or handicap for him. If anything, it shows his determination to succeed, which will hopefully translate into good things for him and us. Sam's a good size, and when he fills out he should be formidable. He was already modelling his game on Ben Reid. And he comes across as humble, grateful and respectful. I can see only positives at this stage.

Surely Sam's deafness is a non-story? I engaged in it initially, but the kid himself addresses it head on in his interviews, and its clear that it is not a hindrance or handicap for him. If anything, it shows his determination to succeed, which will hopefully translate into good things for him and us. Sam's a good size, and when he fills out he should be formidable. He was already modelling his game on Ben Reid. And he comes across as humble, grateful and respectful. I can see only positives at this stage.

Biggest non-story of the draft. If it were an issue he doesn't get drafted (assuming the club did there due dilligence). It's most likely a sign of the quiet nature of footy in the lead up to Christmas which sees everything from a bionic ear to players performances in TT's overanalysed.

Hine: "Matt, did you get any feedback on that hearing thing, with that kid we are looking at?"
Rendell: "Ahh...I thought Dominic was looking at that"
Dominic: "Nah...we gave that one to Adam"
Adam: "I sent an email to Greg on that"
Greg: "Say what? Who? What's this about?"
Hine: "Ahh...it's lunchtime, lets go grab a bite"
Rendell: "Can we put it on Ed's tab again?"

Yep. Potting over a disability that he's clearly overcome is very low, even for some of the nuffs nuffs* in hear.

*(Baltimore Jack didn't patent this so I'm using it.:D)

Yep. Potting over a disability that he's clearly overcome is very low, even for some of the nuffs nuffs* in hear.

Correct, he has patented "terminally miserable" though, so be careful. (oooh, I might have to pay a royalty)

On this occasion I actually agree with him though, it's soooo not a story.

In fairness to Kappa, I don't think he was intending to pot McLarty, just questioning what if any impact his disability might have on his playing capacity.

"Does anyone actually think the club would not have checked everything out (re his Drug investigation) before we demoted Balme and poached him to be our Head of Football?"

With our club I wouldn't be surprised anymore

You make pessimists look positive.

In fairness to Kappa, I don't think he was intending to pot McLarty, just questioning what if any impact his disability might have on his playing capacity.

I think the thing being forgotten is that McLarty can actually hear very well.

I think the thing being forgotten is that McLarty can actually hear very well.

That's certainly the impression I got watching his interviews.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This kid is going to be special.

Really impressed by the way he presents himself. Intelligent guy and you get a good vibe from him. Will be Ben Reid replacement soon enough.

You can understand why they took this kid over other more fancied talls. Whether it works out or not, I understand their thinking.

I can't speak for Sam, but my sister has a cochlear and she struggles to hear when there is a lot of back ground noise. However, she has recently gotten one of the updated models and says she can hear a bit better in those situations now. She's a lot like Sam in that you wouldn't be able to tell she had a hearing problem unless she told you.

I think he'll be fine. He's obviously an outstanding kid with. It's great for the youngsters with the same disability to see Sam getting drafted also. I'm currently teaching at a primary school in East London and in my class there are several children with hearing impairments like Sam. I showed them a picture of him and explained to them about him. They were stoked!!!

I watched the latest clip on Mclarty on the cfc website.. what am absolute gentleman.

Just watched it myself and agree with you.

After listening to Sam speak you know at the very least he is going to give 100% trying to make it.

You can't ask for much more than that.

I wasn't referring to Kappa. I have him/her on ignore.

As far as anyone questioning his disability, as Hine said, the Doctors ticked it off. If that still leaves people guessing, listen to the kids interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the umps will give him a bit of leeway when calling him back off the mark, it would be pretty hard for someone with normal hearing to hear in front of 90k people, let alone someone who has a hearing issue.

I wonder if the umps will give him a bit of leeway when calling him back off the mark, it would be pretty hard for someone with normal hearing to hear in front of 90k people, let alone someone who has a hearing issue.

I'm sure they will. Which is why he should boot the ball away and blame his hearing at every opportunity!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back