Player Watch Tom Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Tom will definitely improve our midfield mix. My fear is that the gain will be offset by the loss of Grundy.

I wish we had a stronger ruck division.
Even if it's only incremental it will help, I've been missing the early Grundy for some years now so I'm sort of adjusted. Hopefully we will hit the draft/trade period this year with a bit of a war chest.

Cox still averaged less than 20 hit outs a game and didn’t hit the scoreboard. Also didn’t take enough marks.
He’ll need to up his hit out average to 25 and get at least five marks a game.

I think he can do that as number 1 ruck, if he’s fit enough.
Along with that I have tremendous confidence in our fitness department now, only crash and bash injuries are the major worries now.

Cox still averaged less than 20 hit outs a game and didn’t hit the scoreboard. Also didn’t take enough marks.

I don't do stats, its un-collingwood, but I would like to see hit outs vs CBs attended and not this first hand to the ball shite but directed to someone. Again, I see Cox as improving in that he tried different approaches during the year from staying down to a bash forward. I agree he didn't take as many marks as desirable but he brought the ball to ground more often than not. Further a Cox mark seems to be worth more than most in terms of team spirit (or maybe I base that on crowd response. One thing we need to let go of is Cox moving forward and kicking goals. His marking or not was more significant up the line than forward this year. Is his fitness the issue with him being number one or was it more about moving pieces around and bringing Cameron into the game?

I think that those hitout stats are misleading.

Cox attended only about 35-40% of the ruck contests in games he played. If I remember the stats correctly he won a higher percentage of hitouts he attended then Grundy did this year. I would love for them to focus Cox this preseason on ruckwork. He has the tools to be a genuinely good 1st ruck.

A big preseason from Cameron, training purely as a ruck and he might surprise you.

Cameron is just painfully unathletic. As soon as the ball hits the ground or he has to move laterally he becomes useless. cox is definitely better at tap ons and little kicks when the balls in dispute.

While we’re on the topic of interactions, I saw Tom Mitchell at a grocery store in Collingwood yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
Neil Mitchell does not look anything like Tom.

I am a big Cox fan. What I see may be different from the rest of you - ya teeth get in the way or something - but I saw Cox steadily improve in both his centre bounce tap work and around the ground impact last year. His best year for the pies will be 2023 or 24. I think it was the Geelong final, he successfully put it down JDG's throat at least 3 times or more in a quarter. Never seen Grundy put it to a player that well at CB. Obviously Cox won't dominate against all opponents but I don't think he is the downgrade on Grundy people assume. Big question around whether we can play Cox and Cameron at same time. One of them only and we may see a significant drop on the past.

Cox should always have been developed as a first ruck who rested forward in the AFL.

Given we had Grundy realistically the pies was not originally the best club to choose.

Has good tap timing and direction. Needs to work on his run up and timing his leap to be at his peak reach.
ATM he sometimes comes in and does the limp knee raise and doesn't jump typically when he loses the ruck or infringes doing it.

Club need a genuine ruck coach to help him with this and the over ruck nuances/tricks.

Outside that just keep improving his around teh ground stuff the good thing is that in the ruck he doesn't have a defender working him under the ball for marks which allows him to get on the end of them fwd or back.

Last edited:
Most in and under mids don’t have the time to hit players precisely
That's why it's preferable they handball rather than hack kick. More than 2/3 of Mitchell's possessions are handballs.

Sorry but "can't kick over 40m" is just a nonsense critique of Mitchells game and value.

That's why it's preferable they handball rather than hack kick. More than 2/3 of Mitchell's possessions are handballs.

Sorry but "can't kick over 40m" is just a nonsense critique of Mitchells game and value.
Your first point is correct but that doesn’t make more penetration on a clearing kick any less useful. On your second point I never made the critique so not sure why you’re “sorry”

I prefer the inside midfielder that handballs.

Greg Williams probably the best I've seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players ideal dinner guest used to be [supermodel] (Jerry Hall or whoever) Greg Norman and John Newcombe, then in the 1990s it changed to [supermodel] (Elle Mspherson ir whoever) Michael Jordan etc, then it was Kobe Bryant, now LeBron and theyve stopped nominating supermodels and actresses. Was a bit sexist I guess.
I always used to say Michael Jordan : Eddie Murphy, but with Cindy Crawford as the waitress…. 😁

His eyes have been getting closer together every year.View attachment 1554815

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Happy Weirdo GIF by louis16art

We lost to Geelong twice this season by under 10 points. Next year they've lost Selwood and we have Mitchell. That's gotta help.

I don’t really care about Geelong. If they drop off, somebody else will take their spot . If they don’t they don’t.

I only care about Collingwood. I just want Mitchell to make us better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back