Welcome to Collingwood Travis Varcoe

Where will Varcoe play for Collingwood ?

• Option 1. Forward crumber

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Option 2. Defensive forward

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Option 3. On the wing

Votes: 70 55.6%
  • Option 4. Half back flanker

Votes: 14 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be interesting to see how Varcoe goes in a team that isn't dominating most weeks

Hopefully he steps up but he could also disappear for a lot of the game. He'll add excitement though

Will be interesting to see how Varcoe goes in a team that isn't dominating most weeks

Hopefully he steps up but he could also disappear for a lot of the game. He'll add excitement though

That might help him Mentality that he has to get more Involved in the Game

That is very true.

He needs players to give him the ball. Hopefully we have those players.

At his best H got involved in games of footy. He gave us real drive. Varcoe will not be able to do that. He wil do some nice things but ultimately he will fail. I do not see why we have recruited him. Would rather have taken a second round pick.

At his best H got involved in games of footy. He gave us real drive. Varcoe will not be able to do that. He wil do some nice things but ultimately he will fail. I do not see why we have recruited him. Would rather have taken a second round pick.
He is one of ours now. At least give him some time.

To be honest, i do tend to agree, but willing to give him a bit of time

Anything else you want to tell us from that crystal ball?

Anything else you want to tell us from that crystal ball?

It's not a crystal ball. This is a senior player who we are all familiar with. He is not Shaun Burgoyne. He has some tricks and as I said will do some good things. But ultimately he will not be a part of our next premiership side. So what is the point? As I said, I would rather give a kid a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he could surprise everyone here or most as he has something to prove as geelong didn't want him and some people
respond to that as a challenge to be more successful as a player i hope.
With Varcoe probably being freed up to rome around the ground at collingwood could surprise us all as he is a good kick usually.

Last edited:
It's not a crystal ball. This is a senior player who we are all familiar with. He is not Shaun Burgoyne. He has some tricks and as I said will do some good things. But ultimately he will not be a part of our next premiership side. So what is the point? As I said, I would rather give a kid a chance.

Varcoe gives us a nice blend of speed and footskills, something our side lacks. We have plenty of kids. The kid we would have got at 35 would have the same amount of chance playing in the next premiership side plus we have plenty of kids developing anyways.

It is all up to Travis what he does with us.

He does have the attributes and skills we need.

On a sidenote, he won't be as distractive as H. And probably a better player.

H and Trav are completely different players and should not be compared. Varcoe is more likely to keep Young out of the team. In this case we will still miss H's drive.

H and Trav are completely different players and should not be compared. Varcoe is more likely to keep Young out of the team. In this case we will still miss H's drive.
Disagree. Both are best played as wingers, for want of a better term.

Young and Varcoe a completely different players as well. I think Varcoe will keep Dwyer out of the side. I think Seedsman will be the one to replace Lumumba. I still rate Lumumba higher than Varcoe though.

Young and Varcoe a completely different players as well. I think Varcoe will keep Dwyer out of the side. I think Seedsman will be the one to replace Lumumba. I still rate Lumumba higher than Varcoe though.

On this we agree. H is a massive out. Much the same as Shaw. These sorts of players are the heart of the team. We can only hope that these young players will take up the mantle. Won't be next season but hopefully soon.

On this we agree. H is a massive out. Much the same as Shaw. These sorts of players are the heart of the team. We can only hope that these young players will take up the mantle. Won't be next season but hopefully soon.
Shaw was a problem child as was H.

Believe me, the future is good.

Shaw was a problem child as was H.

Believe me, the future is good.

I don't see it that way TBone. Shaw and H loved being Collingwood players and delivered on the biggest stage of all. These guys had more to give if only a way could have been found. I love Bucks but I truly believe that an opportunity was missed. I am not going to hold on to that though because it all starts again in 2015. If Varcoe proves me wrong and makes a meaningful contribution I will be the first to admit I was wrong. At the end of the day we all want the same thing.

...and one more thing. Didak was just as big a "problem child" but he is remembered fondly because the club chose not to trade him. I am not afraid to say that I wish Heater still played for us. If that were the case we would be a better side.

Back