Welcome to Collingwood Travis Varcoe

Where will Varcoe play for Collingwood ?

• Option 1. Forward crumber

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Option 2. Defensive forward

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Option 3. On the wing

Votes: 70 55.6%
  • Option 4. Half back flanker

Votes: 14 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this has been done to death and I hate to bring it up again but I am not sure where the story that Dawes wanted out came from. Everything coming from him and from the club at the time was that Dawes wanted to stay but the club didn't want him. To me he seemed a great clubman and very loyal, and seemed absolutely gutted to be leaving...

''That was probably the kicker for me, speaking to the senior boys. They said, 'Look mate, we'll still love you as a bloke and we'll still be friends but you're not going to enjoy it if you stick around for another year. You're better off going now and being a part of something new', which is what I ended up doing,"

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dawes-open-for-a-fresh-start-20130212-2eb45.html

This is not the article I was looking for, there is another where he states that he went back to the club and said he still wanted to stay and try to compete for a spot but the club was pretty insistent...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...494585909?nk=945b1f7ce823c4b86db4396f32d3248a

Let's be realistic - no one would ever want to get traded from Collingwood to Melbourne... ;)

It was the quote from Walsh they he didn't have to leave that I was more interested in. It does suggest that the option to stay was there.

It was the quote from Walsh they he didn't have to leave that I was more interested in. It does suggest that the option to stay was there.

He was contracted so technically staying was an option. Hes gone now so its pointless to speculate what transpired. Needless to say he couldnt do and probablt didnt want to do the job he was given in 2012,

I know this has been done to death and I hate to bring it up again but I am not sure where the story that Dawes wanted out came from. Everything coming from him and from the club at the time was that Dawes wanted to stay but the club didn't want him. To me he seemed a great clubman and very loyal, and seemed absolutely gutted to be leaving...

''That was probably the kicker for me, speaking to the senior boys. They said, 'Look mate, we'll still love you as a bloke and we'll still be friends but you're not going to enjoy it if you stick around for another year. You're better off going now and being a part of something new', which is what I ended up doing,"

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dawes-open-for-a-fresh-start-20130212-2eb45.html

This is not the article I was looking for, there is another where he states that he went back to the club and said he still wanted to stay and try to compete for a spot but the club was pretty insistent...

Think Bucks did not Rate Dawes at all:cry:

anyone else still think its weird that Varcoe is a magpie?

its just after those grand final games with Geelong, i never really saw him anything but a Cat.

anyone else still think its weird that Varcoe is a magpie?

its just after those grand final games with Geelong, i never really saw him anything but a Cat.

It'll be weird right up until the second I see him run out with the boys Round 1 in the black and white.

...and then it'll still be weird for a while but it'll go away...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He destroyed us in 2011 GF really set the tone early for the hand baggers that day.
Varcoe did go missing for a huge period in the 2011 GF. Very similar to Leon Davis. Hope Varcoe is played where he doesn't go missing for huge periods through out matches. Sounds like he will be.

I think Varcoe is in for a huge year but I think Harry will have a very good year too so the trade is fair.

Fully fit its a slight upgrade purely because the club wont have to tread on eggshells in his presence. We can concentrate on football rather than checking the political correctness of the banter in the changerooms. And hes slightly less prone to on field clangers although personally I never had an issue with Harrys clangers....thats the way he plays the game. I do suspect though that his "get ball run with ball, dodge opponents" technique will gradually start losing his edge as he starts nearing the twilight few years of his career. He certainly was less effective last year with his run and carry.

Fully fit its a slight upgrade purely because the club wont have to tread on eggshells in his presence. We can concentrate on football rather than checking the political correctness of the banter in the changerooms. And hes slightly less prone to on field clangers although personally I never had an issue with Harrys clangers....thats the way he plays the game. I do suspect though that his "get ball run with ball, dodge opponents" technique will gradually start losing his edge as he starts nearing the twilight few years of his career. He certainly was less effective last year with his run and carry.

Once Varcoe starts hitting targets and kicking goals it will be a case of Harry Who?

At least we don't have to watch H stand under a high ball ever again. I like him despite all the silliness and will miss seeing him run with the ball, but my god... I've never seen anyone s**t themselves so consistently over taking a mark. I don't mean he was scared of contact, he was just scared he was going to drop it and fair enough too as he was an awful overhead mark.

At least we don't have to watch H stand under a high ball ever again. I like him despite all the silliness and will miss seeing him run with the ball, but my god... I've never seen anyone s**t themselves so consistently over taking a mark. I don't mean he was scared of contact, he was just scared he was going to drop it and fair enough too as he was an awful overhead mark.

and When he get’s the ball just Sprints off. Bit of a 1 trick pony H was the last few years

and When he get’s the ball just Sprints off. Bit of a 1 trick pony H was the last few years

He was and is a very limited footballer. Very much an athlete who worked hard and made the most of his attributes, rather than a natural footballer.

But he played some good footy for us and I have a soft spot for him... you can tell he's got a good heart and just wants to do the right thing, even if he's a bit of a silly and can be a bit precious. I hope he plays some decent footy for the Dees and works out what he wants to do with his life after footy.

Harry is no great loss IMO as a stand alone player. Varcoe for Harry is fine. I don't exactly rate Varcoe through the roof but Harry's propensity to run himself into trouble and/or kick blindly into the ozone layer drove me nuts. My only issue with Harry's exit is as part of the overall player exit but that is another matter. I'm not such a fan of these types of analysis though. The reality is we could have had both players and made sacrifices elsewhere, including in the draft. As it stands though in this case it is all pretty academic IMO.

He was and is a very limited footballer. Very much an athlete who worked hard and made the most of his attributes, rather than a natural footballer.

But he played some good footy for us and I have a soft spot for him... you can tell he's got a good heart and just wants to do the right thing, even if he's a bit of a silly and can be a bit precious. I hope he plays some decent footy for the Dees and works out what he wants to do with his life after footy.
My sentiments as well.

It's already lost its edge he got caught out just as much as he breaks through and then his resultant kick is poo! H, Maxwell, Tooves ect are a major reason our fwd50 entries resemble a B grade country sides piss poor.

He was contracted so technically staying was an option. Hes gone now so its pointless to speculate what transpired. Needless to say he couldnt do and probablt didnt want to do the job he was given in 2012,
Given he's done a bit of it at Melbourne I doubt that is true.

Just on Dawes generally though, I think he'll be a much better player for a full pre season this year (same for Thomas and Wellingham for that matter). I think e's been unfairly maligned. In fact I think we've had maybe 4 key forwards better than him since Alan Edwards. (Cloke, Rocca x 2 & Tarrant). I may have missed one there but I can't think who. we had a few desperation makeshift forwards like Gavin Brown and Mark Williams. Stick a Dawes equivalent in those sides and they play in the guts - just like Reid plays CHB in the current scenario.

Given he's done a bit of it at Melbourne I doubt that is true.

Just on Dawes generally though, I think he'll be a much better player for a full pre season this year (same for Thomas and Wellingham for that matter). I think e's been unfairly maligned. In fact I think we've had maybe 4 key forwards better than him since Alan Edwards. (Cloke, Rocca x 2 & Tarrant). I may have missed one there but I can't think who. we had a few desperation makeshift forwards like Gavin Brown and Mark Williams. Stick a Dawes equivalent in those sides and they play in the guts - just like Reid plays CHB in the current scenario.

Yeah look he had a shocking year but I doubt he would of backed it up with another that poor.

Back