Player Watch Trent Bianco (Delisted 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dave there was a guy at hawthorn called sam Mitchell that was also not very tall and also slipped alot further in his draft year then he should've. If bianco has half the career he did we're the winners here.
Sam is more Taylor Adams size. I dont think Trent has the frame to get to that size.

Dave there was a guy at hawthorn called sam Mitchell that was also not very tall and also slipped alot further in his draft year then he should've. If bianco has half the career he did we're the winners here.

Sam Mitchell was overlooked in his draft year and was drafted out of Box Hill so his slide was massive!

Lot of pressure on Bianco here with references to Pendles and Mitchell in the space of 5 posts. I mean they’re only two of the top ten Brownlow vote pollers in AFL history 🤪

Sam Mitchell was overlooked in his draft year and was drafted out of Box Hill so his slide was massive!

Lot of pressure on Bianco here with references to Pendles and Mitchell in the space of 5 posts. I mean they’re only two of the top ten Brownlow vote pollers in AFL history 🤪

Yep people need to just let the kid develop and become his own man.

Yep people need to just let the kid develop and become his own man.

It’s a symptom of being Collingwood. I mean there’s maybe two blokes that could be spoken about in the same breath as Pendles and Mitchell and I’d let it slide, but they both went to GC with the first two picks of the draft.

Bianco was passed on 44 times before our selection and will do well to get to 100 games so yeah some need to cool their jets a bit. Bearing in mind of course that I like that we got him at that point.

Could say Mitchell is Exception to the Rule

Could say Mitchell is Exception to the Rule

And Swan and Hird and .....

Many a first round pick fails to reach their expected potential. There are also plenty of late draft picks and rookies that become very good players. A number of them have won Brownlow. Mitchell is far from the exception.

Take it from me, Bianco is a gun player. Total mystery how he lasted until pick 45 in the national draft. Best pick up since Stephenson and it wouldn't surprise me if he's playing round 1 in the senior team next season, provided he stays injury free. Basically he mops up everything in the back line whether by hand or foot and gets it in the hands of a teammate going the other way.

And Swan and Hird and .....

Many a first round pick fails to reach their expected potential. There are also plenty of late draft picks and rookies that become very good players. A number of them have won Brownlow. Mitchell is far from the exception.
You’re talking about guys who were drafted in an era when drafting was far less involved and professional. Yeah, there’s still the odd guy who falls through the cracks, but it’s a much much rarer occurrence to pick up a Swan/Mitchell/Hird/Grant type late in the draft than it used to be. Usually the best you can hope for is a Phillips type, who has an trait that makes up for their significant weaknesses. For Rantall, like Phillips it’s his endurance making up for his poor kicking. Bianco, it’s elite kicking making up for size and perceived lack of defensive accountability. That’s not to say it’s impossible for these boys to become elite, but using champions from a different era of recruiting as examples is disingenuous at best.

It’s a symptom of being Collingwood. I mean there’s maybe two blokes that could be spoken about in the same breath as Pendles and Mitchell and I’d let it slide, but they both went to GC with the first two picks of the draft.

Bianco was passed on 44 times before our selection and will do well to get to 100 games so yeah some need to cool their jets a bit. Bearing in mind of course that I like that we got him at that point.
Agree on most points but capping him at 100 is right over the top - I seem to remember an ugly tattood waddler that was a bit of a late pick.

He went all right.

You’re talking about guys who were drafted in an era when drafting was far less involved and professional. Yeah, there’s still the odd guy who falls through the cracks, but it’s a much much rarer occurrence to pick up a Swan/Mitchell/Hird/Grant type late in the draft than it used to be. Usually the best you can hope for is a Phillips type, who has an trait that makes up for their significant weaknesses. For Rantall, like Phillips it’s his endurance making up for his poor kicking. Bianco, it’s elite kicking making up for size and perceived lack of defensive accountability. That’s not to say it’s impossible for these boys to become elite, but using champions from a different era of recruiting as examples is disingenuous at best.

I think James Worpel at 45 will prove your argument wrong.

Not all players mature at the same time. The draft is a point in time assessment of what are effectively kicks. Like the HSC or equivalent, not all high school boffins go on to excel professionally.

Too much emphasis is taken on where they land in the draft. Many a top 10 has been disappointing in recent years. Go look at 2012 draft for instance, o’Rouke at 2, Toumpas at 4, and Menzel and Jaksch in top dozen. That is 1 in 3 duds in first dozen. Add to that the so called experts let Grundy slip to around 20.

These boys and girls are flawed and make mistakes. Pick duds early at times and let future champions got through.

Hardly being disingenuous.

Not all players mature at the same time. The draft is a point in time assessment of what are effectively kicks. Like the HSC or equivalent, not all high school boffins go on to excel professionally.

Too much emphasis is taken on where they land in the draft. Many a top 10 has been disappointing in recent years. Go look at 2012 draft for instance, o’Rouke at 2, Toumpas at 4, and Menzel and Jaksch in top dozen. That is 1 in 3 duds in first dozen. Add to that the so called experts let Grundy slip to around 20.

These boys and girls are flawed and make mistakes. Pick duds early at times and let future champions got through.

So you’ve named one player from the last decade who’s had one good year and now I’m proven wrong? Holy s**t your bar is low. Also, I specifically said it’s very unlikely, not impossible, so get back in your smarmy little box.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could say Worpel was the Exception to that Rule. Yes there be 1 or 2 each Draft that be take late in the Draft that Plays above there Draft Spot.

Hopefully that is Bianco and Rantall but I also say don't get you hopes up too high

You could say Worpel was the Exception to that Rule. Yes there be 1 or 2 each Draft that be take late in the Draft that Plays above there Draft Spot.

Hopefully that is Bianco and Rantall but I also say don't get you hopes up too high
According to some pundits Dave Bianco was a big slider - expected to go at around 25 - so wouldn't surprise if he becomes a good player. Look how far down we got Swannie and look at how deep Grundy slid before we snapped him up.

Have faith brother.

One thing is absolutely certain.

regardless of your draft selection number, once you’re on the list you’re as equal as everyone else.

that simple.

its up to the player to go and earn a regular spot in the seniors.

Yep, HSC is a good comparison. Some people's physical and mental development tracks at different rates. Sometimes kids hit their straps leading into draft while others have niggles and perhaps other things going on in their life that impacts their ability to concentrate. Some kids are surrounded by elite talent pathways and not having a job after school. A number of things that will impact when they come on.

Recruiters might be better at spotting talent, but a recruiting team that takes account of a number of variables - did they have good support around them, did they only start taking it seriously late, were they time poor etc - will pick up talent later in the draft. That's still the professional thing to do, but it also means that we will continue to get Worpel types 'jumping out of the box' as late picks, no matter how professional recruiting becomes.

Latent, undeveloped talent versus exposed talent (which can also prove illusory if they can't handle an environment, e.g. James Aish).

The fact that he got picked up so late doesn't change the view I had of him pre draft, which was a top 20-25 pick player.

He should get use to the expectations and the pressure to perform. He is an AFL player and part of turning pro at a sport is embracing the expectations and pressure that come with it. He seems very switched on and being a mad life long Pies fan he will embrace the hype/pressure/expectations and use it to become the best player he can be.

I can't remember being this pumped about a draftee we got since Moore.

According to some pundits Dave Bianco was a big slider - expected to go at around 25 - so wouldn't surprise if he becomes a good player. Look how far down we got Swannie and look at how deep Grundy slid before we snapped him up.

Have faith brother.
I wouldn't say either examples are comparable.

As has been mentioned the likely hood of a Swanny dropping that far is much more unlikely these days. Recruiters have a much better grasp of top end talent now days. Plus Swanny had many attitude questions about him. For every Swan there's a Dayle Garlett.

Grundy slid because the vibe at the time was it's not worth risking a first round pick on a ruck. Better to trade for an established ruck. By geebus we made out like bandits though with that poor theory that abounded at the time.

If the same "theory" was applied this year I'd be shocked if Luke Jackson went in the top 20.

Lets wait and see if makes it first, different pressure in the AFL than under 18's, hopefully he lives up to his abilities

Very True but at least has shown good ball use at U-18 Level where others have not

Give him time first, l like the pick because he seems to be a football player who can read the game. Wether or not he makes it, only time will tell.

Agree on most points but capping him at 100 is right over the top - I seem to remember an ugly tattood waddler that was a bit of a late pick.

He went all right.

Capping? That’s just what I think would be a good/ great outcome. Anything over and beyond that would be amazing. He sure did go alright, but playing the odds for every Dane Swan there’s 15-20 Ben Crocker’s at that point in the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back