Analysis Welcome to dinosaur land - will the rule changes get the game to look like this?

*Opposition supporters welcome
Hi everyone, the cricket is shizer and i am obviously bored and looking at footy already. I have been looking at some old and recent games to really see the difference, skill level etc and how far the game has come.
It got me to thinking about the rule changes, in particular the starting positions. I don't think it will be a bad thing. I have long held the belief if a coach was courageous enough to pull a couple of forwards out of the congestion and place one around the centre and another 30-40m out from goal, the opposition coach would pull at least 3 out to cover the 2 therefore opening the game up a bit. I am going to provide a game from 97 to view. It had scoring, hits, and more importantly, you could run the ball out or concede a point, and it didn't detract from the game either. For old tiger heads this is the "pathetic Pittman" game.
As a side note, the commentary is great proving sometimes "less is more". You don't need 6 people in a box and 3 special comments. The production etc seemed to flow real smooth from a viewing point of view. I am interested on others thoughts after watching parts of or the whole game. Is this what you'd rather watch, or footy how it is today?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shazza_

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2018
Safeway carpark
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
*Opposition supporters welcome
Hi everyone, the cricket is shizer and i am obviously bored and looking at footy already. I have been looking at some old and recent games to really see the difference, skill level etc and how far the game has come.
It got me to thinking about the rule changes, in particular the starting positions. I don't think it will be a bad thing. I have long held the belief if a coach was courageous enough to pull a couple of forwards out of the congestion and place one around the centre and another 30-40m out from goal, the opposition coach would pull at least 3 out to cover the 2 therefore opening the game up a bit. I am going to provide a game from 97 to view. It had scoring, hits, and more importantly, you could run the ball out or concede a point, and it didn't detract from the game either. For old tiger heads this is the "pathetic Pittman" game.
As a side note, the commentary is great proving sometimes "less is more". You don't need 6 people in a box and 3 special comments. The production etc seemed to flow real smooth from a viewing point of view. I am interested on others thoughts after watching parts of or the whole game. Is this what you'd rather watch, or footy how it is today?

that yellow and no sash on the back is best

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
New rules won't make one iota of a difference to the game, 6-6-6 would have to be the most stupidest rule my time because it is a rule that becomes null and void as soon as the umpire in the centre bounces the ball.

And all the other rules are just tweaks/and or made official anyway.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I’m skeptical how much difference 666 will make , I’m not against speeding game up however I’m also not against the modern brand of football that underlines a fiercely contested game of football. I urge folks to caution listening to whining blues fans like Andy Maher on the state of the game as they’re about as objective as a thrice married spinster quipping there’s no decent men around these days
“The games never been better “

Shazza_

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2018
Safeway carpark
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
New rules won't make one iota of a difference to the game, 6-6-6 would have to be the most stupidest rule my time because it is a rule that becomes null and void as soon as the umpire in the centre bounces the ball.

And all the other rules are just tweaks/and or made official anyway.
main board reckons we are farked lol

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
The 6-6-6 rule is going to take away the strategy by some teams at bounces to run 1,2 sometimes 3 off the back of the square (Dees), although I guess a winger(s) could still be there.

The rule more likely to impact is the kickin from a behind with the longer square imo.

The forward press after a behind will be much harder to lock it in now I think. Long kickers will be able to hit the wings now, and teams might try 'surge' footy from the kickin. I believe there was talk of instead of getting the ball from a bag at the fence, a ball would be placed behind the goal post and no need to wait for the behind signal. Grab and sprint 18 metres and 60 metre penetrating kick out. If that's possible, I expect defence set up changes needed. As a team who uses the forward press exceptionally well, we will need to reorganise the set up with mock trials ( which no doubt will have a big focus on in the new year).

We also have a good weapon with Short with this new rule though.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
The 6-6-6 rule is going to take away the strategy by some teams at bounces to run 1,2 sometimes 3 off the back of the square (Dees), although I guess a winger(s) could still be there.

The rule more likely to impact is the kickin from a behind with the longer square imo.

The forward press after a behind will be much harder to lock it in now I think. Long kickers will be able to hit the wings now, and teams might try 'surge' footy from the kickin. I believe there was talk of instead of getting the ball from a bag at the fence, a ball would be placed behind the goal post and no need to wait for the behind signal. Grab and sprint 18 metres and 60 metre penetrating kick out. If that's possible, I expect defence set up changes needed. As a team who uses the forward press exceptionally well, we will need to reorganise the set up with mock trials ( which no doubt will have a big focus on in the new year).

The longer square isnt coming in , was rejected by the AFL commission . Major change is 666, one that has slipped through is rucks can grab the pill in a throw in which will kill off using short arses , . Hands in back has been relaxed to mean must be genuine interference in the process , this will benefit jack and dusty and possibly rance
FB don’t have to dummy kick , just play on , will benefit shorty and houli

666 will benefit sides that win clearances and have good key forwards

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton

Kick in rule won't make an inch of difference, coaches hate turnover on the kick in and players will still be gun shy and still kick to the safe option in the pocket, and remember as soon as you exit the square it's play on and you can be closed down.

Kick up the guts will only be used late in games when behind.

Oh and you still need to wait for the goal umpires signal before resuming play so you can't just grab a ball and play on.
This notion that players will bomb long to the wings is just wishful thinking, turn it over once and players will go back into their shells, especially if it costs you a goal because forward line's will be more open ( only by a few metre's though )

This kick in rule was introduced to stop repeat entries...it won't.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
The longer square isnt coming in , was rejected by the AFL commission . Major change is 666, one that has slipped through is rucks can grab the pill in a throw in which will kill off using short arses , . Hands in back has been relaxed to mean must be genuine interference in the process , this will benefit jack and dusty and possibly rance

You can still put short arses in the ruck, all this rule is doing is preventing the ruckman from being pinged after getting a feather touch after grabbing the ball, ruckman still has to dispose of the ball legally under this new tweak which really has been relaxed these past two years anyway, they are just making it official now is all.

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond

Yeah. right. I've been overseas and forgot it was not adopted. Cant imagine alot will change then. Now Jan is nearly here, I can hear the jungle drums slowly warming up.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
6-6-6 won't do much, the most stuff clubs do at the bounce is a 7 man defence. Will change the way teams approach centre bounces at the end of a close game but thats it.
The kick in rule is going to reduce scoring. The extra 10m will make it slightly easier to score off kick ins but there's usually what, 1 per game? There might be 2 goals from kick ins per game. The great majority of scoring comes from turnovers and that will be made more difficult.
I can see scoring decreasing by 1-2 goals per game (aggregate) under these rules.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers

The longer square is coming in.
People thought it looked stupid, so to save face the AFL moved the mark to 18m and allowed players to exit the square without kicking to themselves (so made the square almost redundant). Instead of kicking from 9m out, they will be kicking from ~15m.

I liked the old style of play and hate the new style with all the players in one half following the ball around. It's s**t. I can barely watch any games other than Richmond these days. Until Clarkson started the rolling maul, I could usually watch any game of the week and enjoy it, except for teams coached by Malthouse which were always snooze fests. Plus he is a miserable campaigner.

I am all for opening up the game and view the new rules with sceptical anticipation. I think the AFL will probably * it up though.

Went to this game. From memory Richo kicked a fair bag (7?) and Campbell played a ripper. Come to think of it, it was a good team performance.

Caught the Pathetic Pittman comment live on the old 3AW on the drive home. Even then we were like 'gee, thats full on!'

Yes,I remember it well.

We will cop a rogering r1 while the umpires ninja it with “we are learning the new rules”.

Jan 15, 2006
Oz
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Orlando Magic, Baltimore Ravens
Dirty little secret is we only see and remember the great games of yesteryear. We therefore think the all games were great and the product was better.

We used to get a few games each weekend that the networks would choose as the games to cover and therefore natural selection meant we were watching the best teams more often. You might see the score of the Bears vs Saints at the three quarter time break for your tipping purposes, nod along to Diesel's "Tip of my tongue", and then its forgotten and that game is back in obscurity never to be considered again.

Now all games are accessible on Fox Footy and games are mostly standalone in their own starting time slot to view and so even if it's a 1:10pm Sunday Gold Coast vs Freo that stinker has its own viewing platform and as unpalatable as it is people are going to watch as an appetiser waiting for the more appealing 3:20pm game to start. And its therefore gets viewers and people see the worst the AFL product has to offer, and with social media we have a voice to bleat about it to anyone that will listen, and the media today are more than willing to gobble it up for a juicy click or headline of "people are saying. . . . "

Bad teams are always going to give us a comparatively bad product. Rules aren't going to change that.

Back