Retired # 5: Devon Smith - Hanging up the boots - Thanks for everything Devon! - 12/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Like this comment by Smith on Stringer

“It would be great to play with (Stringer) given what he has already done as a 22-year-old premiership player. Everyone is talking about the bad stuff they have heard and the rumours going around.
“By from what I have seen first-hand he’s a hard match-up and an unbelievable talent.
“I remember we played them in Canberra and about eight blokes tried to tackle him out of a stoppage and six didn’t lay a hand on him. He snapped a goal over his head.
“I thought, ‘Wowee, what a player’.”

(Herald Sun)

Rapt to have him, loved today's headline in the paper "blues wait in wings". Love carlton fans reaction to him snubbing them. Their pain makes it sweeter.

Your DP very much in action WH.

Still can't believe the club snagged Devon.

From his name alone, I wanted Dev more in 2011 than Kavanagh. :(

Love the signing. Plus..played with his old man in the early nineties at the mighty DEVON fc in South Gippsland...True story

For all we care, his middle names could be Welshpool Won-Wron Woodside.

Having had time to digest the trade it has been a great bit of business. The "Essendon to hard to deal with" moniker will no doubt be trotted out again but we 'won' this trade hands down. To gain second rounders in both 2017 & 2018 is phenomenal by AD.

Adding an automatic best 22 player with currency coming back has been a fantastic piece of business by us. Really looking forward to seeing what sort of role Devon Smith will play in 2018. We have an abundance of small/medium fwds with more incoming, hopefully Woosha sticks to the points that AD pointed out and Devon does play midfield minutes.

Time to look at Saad and get that piece of business done. Move on to Stringer with our scraps and do not sell our 2018 first at ANY costs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies if this has already been done but who is the last 'Smith' we had playing for us? I can't remember one.
Ray Smith in the 70's. Played 77 games.

Last edited:

That's some solid coverage... more than I would've expected. Maybe I'm underrating him but I feel like it's not *MASSIVE NEWS*? I mean it's not like Patrick Dangerfield just changed clubs. Slow news week is slow I guess. :p
Positive news coming out of Essendon by media outlets? Clearly was Jade said was accurate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back