Toast Welcome to Fit Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure where to post this but I now know 4 blokes all around my age (62-67) who have all been diagnosed with prostrate cancer (one has had his prostrate removed recently) over the past 6 months.

Did my 6 monthly PSA test (have an enlarged prostrate) and given it has increased again am now going in a few weeks to have a biopsy. Yep, they put forty needles between your balls and a-hole into your prostrate.

Do everything right, exercising 5-6 sessions a week at the gym, eating well and generally looking after myself and this s**t happens!
I hope everything goes well for you. I have a few mates in a similar position to you, so I understand how you are going/feeling.

Not sure where to post this but I now know 4 blokes all around my age (62-67) who have all been diagnosed with prostrate cancer (one has had his prostrate removed recently) over the past 6 months.

Did my 6 monthly PSA test (have an enlarged prostrate) and given it has increased again am now going in a few weeks to have a biopsy. Yep, they put forty needles between your balls and a-hole into your prostrate.

Do everything right, exercising 5-6 sessions a week at the gym, eating well and generally looking after myself and this s**t happens!
Whilst it sounds concerning hopefully all good.

I’ve battled rising PSA levels the past few years, having said that the last year it went down but it’s still high.

I’ve had a biopsy, which isn’t much fun afterwards pissing and blowing blood, so maybe hold off the women ;) 2 MRI’s and a PET scan. That was all with my old urologist who has since retired. My new one is less concerned.

There are other reasons for high PSI readings, but best to be safe than sorry

While we are on the - get your bits tested and checked…. Do the poo kit. And get the colonoscopy if it needs it. Colonoscopy is so easy (even with the prep) and it’s a good sleep, and they can deal with polyps while they are there.

Also, if you are travelling long haul flights, PLEASE get up and move about and move your legs and feet regularly. We just lost our best mate (fit and healthy physically otherwise) after a long haul flight to London. Hadn’t even stepped into passport control when he felt unwell after getting off the plane. what ensued was incredibly traumatic for us all and sadly he passed away two days later. Don’t understand why they don’t constantly remind people to move other than a brief mention in the preamble. They used to do it more often than that.

I hope everything goes well for you. I have a few mates in a similar position to you, so I understand how you are going/feeling.

Just an update.

Had the biopsy last Thursday got the results yesterday and I’m all clear. The more disturbing part was having 38 insertions (think the norm is 12-20). No wonder my nether regions were a bit tender and significantly bruised.

As George Kramer said a bit of blood when pissing but that seems to have rectified itself the last day or so. We stay away from getting a bj in the short term. Not a good 👀.

Must be old mans corner

Have a colonoscopy in my future - bowel screen result - so when your pack arrives in the post please do it - I think the blood is from strain rather than polyps but better safe than sorry

On top of that I also have an aggressive cataract to get looked at (with one eye)

Interesting few years for me

Though a fitter , older more active mate is borderline diabetic and my sugars are fine - go figure

Must be old mans corner

Have a colonoscopy in my future - bowel screen result - so when your pack arrives in the post please do it - I think the blood is from strain rather than polyps but better safe than sorry

On top of that I also have an aggressive cataract to get looked at (with one eye)

Interesting few years for me

Though a fitter , older more active mate is borderline diabetic and my sugars are fine - go figure
I've got that to look forward to next year once I turn 50. Already had one colonoscopy in my life for blood in a stool sample. My GP was trying to investigate if my low iron levels were the result of blood loss, and where it might be coming from. In the end, they found nothing but some internal haemorrhoids - one must have burst and bled during my last sample. So we're still no closer to working out what's causing my low iron (ferritin) levels.

Getting old sucks. But the poo kit is absolutely brilliant at detecting abnormalities and the beauty of the colonoscopy is they can get rid of the polyps at the same time which for most people is all that’s needed. R2R did they do an endoscopy as well to ensure there were no ulcers in the stomach?

Getting old sucks. But the poo kit is absolutely brilliant at detecting abnormalities and the beauty of the colonoscopy is they can get rid of the polyps at the same time which for most people is all that’s needed. R2R did they do an endoscopy as well to ensure there were no ulcers in the stomach?
Yes, they did. All that was found there was a hiatus hernia.

I’m bloody glad 23 is over… we lost our good mate to a DVT on day 1 of our 6 week European holiday and I had a close brush with death after an ulcer burst (no symptoms until it was dire) and I lost a lot of blood on a recent overseas trip (last day of our holiday). In the overall scheme of things, I’m grateful I still get to bitch and moan about things… hoping 24 is kinder… but must admit, I’m rethinking overseas holidays…

I’m bloody glad 23 is over… we lost our good mate to a DVT on day 1 of our 6 week European holiday and I had a close brush with death after an ulcer burst (no symptoms until it was dire) and I lost a lot of blood on a recent overseas trip (last day of our holiday). In the overall scheme of things, I’m grateful I still get to bitch and moan about things… hoping 24 is kinder… but must admit, I’m rethinking overseas holidays…
Have to agree with you Jenny - 2023 had some incredibly poo moments - I lost my dear old mum the day Sydney stole our finals chances!
On a positive my aneurysm has decided to behave itself which is incredible as I spend a fair bit of time in remote locations in Indonesia and pun intended it was always in the back of my brain! my neurosurgeon has told me I can go to MRIs every 18 months which is excellent.
Christmas was a massive event and build up so now I need to lose some kegs get back exercising to be ready for a trip with my lad to Sumatra! I hate getting older but having adultish kids who want to hang out with me makes it all worth it.
Hoping we all have an excellent 2024.

Glad you’re still around Jen! Once you suffer significant illnesses, whether physical or mental, life perspectives tend to shift, the needs and the wants often become more obvious. Sorry for your loss of a close friend as well.

Myself, I’ve really had a gutful of working in a health system with constant changes to Medicare, Centrelink, NDIS and whatever else associated with forms and paperwork! Looking back I reckon I had a couple of burnout episodes during the pandemic. In the last few months, I’ve worked less and purely focusing on better health and fitness. Have been doing tons of running and racquet sports lately. My mentality also changing to being more kind to myself, rather than have to put up with all the toxic mofos online/offline.

My life tip for any footy fans: look after yourself better than you pay attention to footy.

Glad you’re still around Jen! Once you suffer significant illnesses, whether physical or mental, life perspectives tend to shift, the needs and the wants often become more obvious. Sorry for your loss of a close friend as well.

Myself, I’ve really had a gutful of working in a health system with constant changes to Medicare, Centrelink, NDIS and whatever else associated with forms and paperwork! Looking back I reckon I had a couple of burnout episodes during the pandemic. In the last few months, I’ve worked less and purely focusing on better health and fitness. Have been doing tons of running and racquet sports lately. My mentality also changing to being more kind to myself, rather than have to put up with all the toxic mofos online/offline.

My life tip for any footy fans: look after yourself better than you pay attention to footy.
Absolutely!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back